Howdy from Perth

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howdy from Perth

Postby VirtualT » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi there, I have been interested to start distilling for a while now and finally got the time to put into the research and setting something up.
Been studying the material here and I think I have got a good handle on the different types of still and the basic theory behind it.

I will probably start with a LM reflux still, been looking at the Kegland kits they seem reasonably priced, I would like to get started with something first and then later on down the track look into making a pot still or a hybrid or something, sees a bit overwhelming to start with building something I think it would be easy to screw it up when you don't really know what your doing.

Anyway cheers.
VirtualT

equipment: 2" boka and 2" pot head

Re: Howdy from Perth

Postby Sam. » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:20 pm

Welcome mate, do a heap of reading here before deciding what you want to build/buy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Professor Green » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:01 am

Welcome VirtualT.

Definitely worth doing your research before diving in. Buy the right still for your needs up front and you'll save money and you will have a bit of kit that will server you well for many years to come.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:57 pm

G-day mate,what is the main drink of choice for you ,how much of it do you need ,how quickly do you wish to produce that amount.The still is but one bit of equipment you will need fermenters buckets and hoses ,boilers to collection jars to storage and final bottleing,test equipment,then a biggy for some coolant water supply and a nice spot ta store all this stuff away from kids etc.Good equipment is in good supply these days compared ta 15yrs ago ,but also an oversupply of shit as well ,with not a lot of great advice from most HBS and intermanet sites .When I joined I looked at what peeps were using to produce what I wanted to produce with the volume and speeds etc ,starting with a 2inch setup is most common then its generaly two ways from that,they give up or they scale up their gear and move on ,anyhoooo please consider.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby woodduck » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:13 am

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:

Good advice above.

All the best :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Return to Welcome Centre