Filling self coopered kegs.

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Filling self coopered kegs.

Postby JohnnyFlame » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Hi all,

I seek some reversed engineering information here.

I have begun the life consuming art of coopering to some success, simply because I seek to distill my own private reserve of single malt.

Now my issue is that my barrels are similar to 'pin' barrels bit with a volume of 21 litres.

My question now is what capacity of pot still would I require to distill this much distillate in one run.

I see 10 gallon stills but I am not sure if this will be big enough for my evil take over the world plans.

So if anyone can help me with references to calculators or such I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Johnny Flame
JohnnyFlame

equipment: None as yet, but researching the methods used in he olden times to make single malt scotch whiskey.

Re: Filling self coopered kegs.

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:17 am

Walk before you can run, I’d learn to do many smaller runs before you go filling a barrel, if you don’t perfect your runs then what goes in/ comes out of the barrel might be crap :handgestures-thumbdown:
But, a 100L is the largest we consider hobby level on this forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:

With my 100L boiler and 4” bubbler I can strip one wash and add the low wines back with the next wash and get around 16-18 L @ 65%. nothing stopping you doing this 2-3 times and filling a couple of barrels
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby JohnnyFlame » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:21 pm

Thank you for the advice WJ.

There are so many variations on minimum to maximum distillate achieved from each run.

But with my calculations and a lot of practice, patients and luck I should be able to fill a 20l pin barrel ok.

I run cnc machinery so making staves is fairly easy. And well the rest of the barrel process will be a fun experience.

Hope to keep everybody appraised of my progress.

I am from tasmania, we two headed transients have a large number of commercial distillers here, and I have found that they are a very helpful bunch even though you might be stepping on their turf.
JohnnyFlame

equipment: None as yet, but researching the methods used in he olden times to make single malt scotch whiskey.

Postby bluc » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Would lobve to see some photos :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:10 am

When they use kegs there not always new kegs what are you going to do is the wood you use new wood .
wynnum1

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:36 pm

What are u making the barrels out of? I would hope it’s not tassy oak as that is a eucalyptus and a big :naughty: in spirit barrels.
Last edited by Wobblyboot on Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Darwin award » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:56 am

I too would love to see some pictures of your coopering!
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Return to Hardware Research & Development