Food Grade Molasses.

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Food Grade Molasses.

Postby Divey » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:31 am

It may be of interest to some that you can purchase Food Grade Molasses from these people www.southerncrosssupplies.com.au The molasses is made by Bundaberg Sugar. 14kgs for $20.10.

You can also buy Saf Instant yeast 500gms ($3.50) and Saf Gold yeast 500gms ($3.70) from them. I also notice that they have 25kgs of Dextrose @$45.50 also 28kgs Liquid Malt Extract @$164.00.
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Re: Food Grade Molasses.

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:58 pm

The molasses works out to about $3 a litre,about 1.5kgs to the litre if it's first run molasses which has the most amount of ferment able sugars :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby jeracoo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm

Fweh, bit dear for molasses, I usually just go grab a 200liter drum for about $60 from my local produce store, tastes the same to me.
jeracoo

equipment: T500 with special pot still made by McStill himself

Postby law-of-ohms » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Divey, where from?
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:59 pm

law-of-ohms wrote:Divey, where from?

The link is in the 1st post :roll:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Divey » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 am

jeracoo wrote:Fweh, bit dear for molasses, I usually just go grab a 200liter drum for about $60 from my local produce store, tastes the same to me.

Why is it that a fair few folks are saying that the feed grade molasses is sulphured and is shit for what we want. :?
Divey

Postby Divey » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:24 am

Cupcake wrote:The molasses works out to about $3 a litre,about 1.5kgs to the litre if it's first run molasses which has the most amount of ferment able sugars :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It's actually 1.4kg/litre and works out to be $2.01 a litre.

FWIW, I made a wash yesterday using McStill's recipe and some of this Bundaberg Refinery Molasses and raw sugar. I pitched 80 grams of Saf Gold yeast and there is NO krausen on the wash at all. You can see on the surface that it is extremely active but NO krausen. I wonder why this would be when McStill says that his recipe creates a massive krausen. :shock:

It's either this molasses or the Saf Gold, either way, I'm rather pleased as I was expecting the possibility of a huge mess to clean up. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Divey

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:34 am

Mate,there ain't nothing wrong with it :handgestures-thumbupleft: not everyone on here has access to unsulphured molassess,the thing with feed grade molasses is that it's need throught the refining process 2 maybe 3 times,and alot of the fermentable sugars have been removed :handgestures-thumbdown: No biggy really,just add a bit more sugar,the reason for using molasses is for the reuse of the Dunder/backset,to give the rums more flavour and depth :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby Citris » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:56 am

Lucky we have a CSR distributor in town that sell "fermentation industry grade" molasses. Not that I have bought any yet, but I sourced it out for when I try one of the rum recipes on here. (I hate Bundaberg rum, and I hear I need to try real rum so...)

I also looked at that site... for regular sugar once... they never tell you the price, how did you find it?
Citris

equipment: Local HBS Kit - Not sure yet...

Postby Divey » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 am

Citris wrote:Lucky we have a CSR distributor in town that sell "fermentation industry grade" molasses. Not that I have bought any yet, but I sourced it out for when I try one of the rum recipes on here. (I hate Bundaberg rum, and I hear I need to try real rum so...)

I also looked at that site... for regular sugar once... they never tell you the price, how did you find it?

I'm guessing that you're asking me that question.

Because I noticed several folks on here who were complaining of not being able to buy non sulfured molasses, I started ringing the sugar companies and it was then that Bundaberg Sugar gave me the name and number of their Sydney representative who gave me several companies to ring with the hope that they would supply to the public....bingo!
Divey

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:31 am

:laughing-rolling: :D mate I'm in Ingham,got 2 mills at my back door :D and quite a few mates who work there,got a ute load and I MEAN a ute load of raw sugar last season :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: Oh I forgot to mention 1000l shuttle of molasses :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Which reminds me,gotta go now and sign some paperwork :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:25 am

Cupcake wrote:Which reminds me,gotta go now and sign some paperwork :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:dance: :dance: :D :dance: :dance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:33 am

All signed Mac,should leave Friday :handgestures-thumbupleft: Kevin is gunna let me know :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby Goldie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:50 am

Ah, Cupcake is the source Mac, might hold off till it arrives :-D
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:52 am

Well fuck me :doh: you're gunna have heaps of mates shortly :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby Goldie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:28 pm

They better like dogs...... :laughing-rolling:
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby LWTCS » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:01 pm

How far do they strike the succrose out of the molasses yer getting Cupcake? 50%?
And is your raw a first strike or just condenced juice with no crystalization as such?
LWTCS

equipment: 52 liter primary boiler
Quad thumping system
4500 watt W/100% variable controller

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:13 am

It's raw sugar,big granular crystals,the only trouble I've found with it,if you can call it trouble,is that after about 6 months,you start to get a molasses deposit in the bottom of the drum :D
The masses on the other hand is first run,which according to a couple of mates in the lab,has about 60% fermentable sugar :teasing-neener: Just working on getting hold of some 'juice',but will have to wait till I get home
Cane Toad

Postby LWTCS » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:36 am

That definitely sounds like first strike sugar......lucky dog.
The general manager of the plant prolly shutters at the thought of the sugar sort of oxidizing and turning brown......while a e feller like you should be jumpin with joy. Shoot that molasses seeping is a dern good prollem to have I figger.
Are you oaking? What % are you collecting at? Are you using any dunder techniques? Whats your favorite color?

Do you wear ladies underwear like i do?
LWTCS

equipment: 52 liter primary boiler
Quad thumping system
4500 watt W/100% variable controller

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:58 pm

When doing any run,I usually try for around the 90% mark,both on UJ and rum,let breathe for a day or 2,sample 8-} ,then into a keg with 10 or 12 dark charred sticks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Start sampling at around the 3 month mark,when it reaches the desired palette,I transfer into a clean ss keg with only a couple of sticks and then pour water down and drink as required :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: Which is pretty often :laughing-rolling:
Using backset and Dunder at around the 20-25% mark,I don't take too much notice,although these days I do keep 40l of Dunder and UJ backset in the freezer.....just in case the airlock runs dry again :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: I would hate to have to start from scratch again :angry-banghead:
Cane Toad

Next

Return to Distillers Warehouse