Converting keg for a grain cooker

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Converting keg for a grain cooker

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:11 am

Any advice on converting this to a cooker for making wort. I know i need a few things like a heating element :)) what would be the best way to install a false bottom to stop the grain from scorching on the element. Also a good temp probe that people have used :handgestures-thumbupleft:
P.s paid $70 for this keg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brisvalleymoonshiner

equipment: Copper 4 plate 800mm packed section 50ltr keg boiler

Re: Converting keg for a grain cooker

Postby coffe addict » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:32 am

Hbs will sell a false bottom for it. You'll want external heating or it'll be problematic, look into herms and rim's.

I only do single stage mashing and that's adequate for barley. Worth considering if you're not interested in corn,if you are then internal heating won't work. There's several threads covering different ways of tackling corn. Good luck.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:34 am

The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:41 am

I've seen many different ways to do this and i'm trying to do it cheaply as possible. I was hoping to be able to just use the 1 vessel as my main cooker and transfer the wort to a fermenter once at the right temp. My main idea was to find a mesh grain basket to fit the keg that would allow enough room to have an element under the basket. I was hoping to do away with pumps and other vessels or is this just not achievable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brisvalleymoonshiner

Postby coffe addict » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 am

Honestly I've never done it as I believe that there's too much sugar present for an electric element and will cause scorching.
If you're doing single step mashing you can simply heat the water to strike temp and then turn off heat and add the grain.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:55 pm

A bit more exploring this forum i feel cheers coffee and Mr stig for the info :handgestures-thumbupleft:
brisvalleymoonshiner

Postby Fatguts » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:20 pm

I was using a keg for mashing corn, rye and barley for a while. It was heated underneath with a LPG burner. I found that I needed to keep the mash constantly moving to avoid any scorching. For this I used a cheap electric drill with a variable speed and a big paint mixer. I made a makeshift frame above the keg to hold the drill in place. I was using liquid amylase which I added to the water before heating, this helped to keep the mash thinned out. It got too thick (like porridge) without the amylase and caused me big scorching problems as the drill couldn't keep up. I didn't have a drain tap or any way of separating the grains from the wort whilst it was still in the keg and this became a big pain in the arse. I tried using a mashing bag and various other methods of separation but it all became to hard and I got the shits with it and gave up on the keg. I was lucky enough to find a 100L stainless pot with drain, filter and stainless mesh basket on gum tree and it is a lot easier than the keg. I still use the LPG and drill to keep it all moving. In hindsight, if i had found a basket as shown in your picture I definitely would have given that a go and I reckon it would probably do the job. Im far from being an expert and this is just my trials with the keg, but I hope this helps a bit.
Fatguts

equipment: 4", 4 plate glasser and a 2" all copper reflux still with a 2 meter packed column, 500 mm shotgun condenser and homemade parrot, all sitting on a 50 litre upside down beer keg boiler with 2 X 2400W elements.

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:12 pm

coffe addict wrote:Honestly I've never done it as I believe that there's too much sugar present for an electric element and will cause scorching.
If you're doing single step mashing you can simply heat the water to strike temp and then turn off heat and add the grain.

Been thinking bout this and cant see how its different then using a rims. Having a falsie with element under it and good circulation would think less chance of scorching due to larger amount liquid round element..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Fatguts » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:52 pm

Having never used a Rims or even seen one in use, i cant comment on any pros or cons. Im about to do a bit of researching to try and educate myself.
Fatguts

equipment: 4", 4 plate glasser and a 2" all copper reflux still with a 2 meter packed column, 500 mm shotgun condenser and homemade parrot, all sitting on a 50 litre upside down beer keg boiler with 2 X 2400W elements.

Postby clintonb » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:41 pm

bluc wrote:
coffe addict wrote:Honestly I've never done it as I believe that there's too much sugar present for an electric element and will cause scorching.

Been thinking bout this and cant see how its different then using a rims. Having a falsie with element under it and good circulation would think less chance of scorching due to larger amount liquid round element..
:text-+1: I think along the same lines as you Bluc :think:
clintonb

equipment: 118L SS boiler with a copper 4 Inch, 8 bubble plated column and a 650mm packed section complete with a carterhead and gin basket.
35L SS boiler with a copper 2 Inch pelican pot and gin basket.

Postby clintonb » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Not sure if I am allowed to link to this site or not ? https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/ql ... st-1080913 But I have been looking at doing something similar. I think the key to not scorching is consistent movement of the wort around the element :think: Just food for thought :-B
clintonb

equipment: 118L SS boiler with a copper 4 Inch, 8 bubble plated column and a 650mm packed section complete with a carterhead and gin basket.
35L SS boiler with a copper 2 Inch pelican pot and gin basket.

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Fatguts wrote:I was using a keg for mashing corn, rye and barley for a while. It was heated underneath with a LPG burner. I found that I needed to keep the mash constantly moving to avoid any scorching. For this I used a cheap electric drill with a variable speed and a big paint mixer. I made a makeshift frame above the keg to hold the drill in place. I was using liquid amylase which I added to the water before heating, this helped to keep the mash thinned out. It got too thick (like porridge) without the amylase and caused me big scorching problems as the drill couldn't keep up. I didn't have a drain tap or any way of separating the grains from the wort whilst it was still in the keg and this became a big pain in the arse. I tried using a mashing bag and various other methods of separation but it all became to hard and I got the shits with it and gave up on the keg. I was lucky enough to find a 100L stainless pot with drain, filter and stainless mesh basket on gum tree and it is a lot easier than the keg. I still use the LPG and drill to keep it all moving. In hindsight, if i had found a basket as shown in your picture I definitely would have given that a go and I reckon it would probably do the job. Im far from being an expert and this is just my trials with the keg, but I hope this helps a bit.

There are a few different places to get a mesh basket to suit your needs. I may have to get a pump for circulation just to keep my chances of scorching down. On the bright side it's only cost mwt $70 for a keg that could be easily used for low wine storage if all else fails
brisvalleymoonshiner

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 pm

clintonb wrote:
bluc wrote:

:text-+1: I think along the same lines as you Bluc :think:

Kinda makes be want to cut a hole in my tun to install an element :twisted:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby coffe addict » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:48 pm

There is a few things to take into account.
Rims is an element in a small diameter tube so a gentle pump still creates adequate movement. With a keg at 500mm wide the flow would be huge to have the same flow rate over the element. With herms the surface area is drastically higher so it's functional with lower flow rates.

Many people have had trouble with fermented wort and electronic elements scorching. Hence the ulwd elements often sought out. Commercial guys often agitate to lower scorching risk.

There's only one way to know for certain and that's try...
coffe addict

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 pm

I only know what I have tried but would have thought x times more liquid around element = x times less flow :-B for same result.
Reason being more liquid around element = bigger heatsink effect. Or am i grasping at straws..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby wynnum1 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:42 am

If heating with an element or bottom of the keg the heat is not going to be even unless can keep mixing did 15 L pot stove top and using a temperature probe and temperature was different every where needed to keep stirring mash does not conduct the heat .
wynnum1

Postby coffe addict » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:05 am

I think without the flow you'll get hot spots around the elements, dissipating the heat is key.
If it were as simple as element in the mash tun surely we'd have a grandfather or the like commercially available by now.
I can't recall anyone ever posting results of a trial though, so for science you should give it a go. I'm happy to be humbled and then be a copycat :handgestures-thumbupleft:
coffe addict

Postby stoopdlow » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:22 am

I’ll apologise in advance for what I’m about to write. I was just reading the posts regarding heating the mash and problems associated with scorching and the need to circulate water. Now I don’t have a very good grasp of the working process but I had a thought. For example, heating mash in a keg. From what I can understand the main issues are potential hot spots from lack of movement. If one thinks of the compost bins that turn to keep the compost moving, and a spit roast. if you heating was either from underneath or an electric design mounted through the end along with a device to turn the keg constantly similar to the device that keeps that spit roast turning. Wouldn’t that be away of getting around the issues that have been mentioned.

O.k. So I did apologise to begin with so if I make no sense, go easy on me. I did start reading up before posting this but it was all very foreign to me and I’m just interested in the hobby without actually practicing so my knowledge is very limited.
stoopdlow

equipment: I currently have a 50ltr keg which I installed a
2200-watt heating-element and the condenser i am using
Is exactly identical to the alcoengine reflux condenser although
I have attached a small extender maybe 20cm long which I packed
With copper wool. As I do not have a thermostat with element I am
Using the MkII temperature controller and to save on water wastage
I have 2 40g drums full of water which is pumped from one and
Enters the other one to cool . I generally just use a 0.6 flow control insert
Instead of the 1.0mm. I generally pull 95% from each run but I gotta
A lotta questions without a solid understanding of why the sky is blue for a example.
I have no probs chatting or being told I'm doing it all wrong. I don't like spending
Cash I don't have and that may influence my quite a bit.

Postby db1979 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:28 am

G'day stoopdlow, how about adding a new thread in the welcome center and introduce yourself? We're a real friendly bunch here and lots are willing to help those new to the hobby get started.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby EziTasting » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 am

db1979 wrote:G'day stoopdlow, how about adding a new thread in the welcome center and introduce yourself? We're a real friendly bunch here and lots are willing to help those new to the hobby get started.
:text-+1:
Say G'Day mate and let us know what your into, what still you got or want... always nice to see a new guy!

stoopdlow wrote:I’ll apologise in advance for what I’m about to write. I was just reading the posts regarding heating the mash and problems associated with scorching and the need to circulate water. Now I don’t have a very good grasp of the working process but I had a thought. For example, heating mash in a keg. From what I can understand the main issues are potential hot spots from lack of movement. If one thinks of the compost bins that turn to keep the compost moving, and a spit roast. if you heating was either from underneath or an electric design mounted through the end along with a device to turn the keg constantly similar to the device that keeps that spit roast turning. Wouldn’t that be away of getting around the issues that have been mentioned.

O.k. So I did apologise to begin with so if I make no sense, go easy on me. I did start reading up before posting this but it was all very foreign to me and I’m just interested in the hobby without actually practicing so my knowledge is very limited.

instead of turning the keg, insert a rotating paddle - be simpler and at least as effective! A number of people use a drill with a SS rod and some chain on the end and some sort of drill clamp... as for heating, in this instant, and inserted electrical element is not your friend as the rest of scorching the grain ON the elements is going to happen, even with stirring... so I'd advise going with a bottom heating with flames... again, STRONGLY advised using a drill to move the grain about...

As for stooped questions, they are the ones you don't ask - we have all started at some point asking things you are asking now.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Next

Return to Hardware Research & Development