55ltr Steam jacket tank - is it worth it?

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

55ltr Steam jacket tank - is it worth it?

Postby Babawow » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi guys!

Getting ready to purchase my rig as I'm moving soon, and being obsessive/compulsive about it, I decided to do some more homework and found this beauty/monster:

It's a 55 litre double wall boiler with a steam jacket (2 separate ports 2" - one for steam one for direct heating).

My main question is - is the extra cost (~$1000 w shipping) worth it? I also dabble in making cheese and beer...

Comes with :

Steam tank --- 1pcs
Bell lid with silicone gasket and safety valve --- 1pcs
Clamp for lid --- 1pcs
2"Butterfly valve --- 1pcs
Analog thermometer --- 1pcs
Digital thermometer --- 1pcs
1/2" ball valve --- 3pcs
1/2" End caps --- 8pcs
2" 3000W electric heater --- 1pcs
6000w voltage regulator --- 1pcs
Safety group (pressure gauge, vacuum/ high pressure valve, 4-way tee , 1/4" ball valve, barb fitting) --- 1pcs
Industrial agitator / mixer 120W 220V --- 1pcs
2" Clamp --- 4pcs
1,5" Clamp --- 4pcs
2" Silicone gasket --- 4pcs
1.5" Silicone gasket --- 4pcs
​False bottom --- 1pcs

How much time will I be able to save using that kind of equipment? I want to make all grain, and it's also advertised as ready for vacuum distillation (as a hobbyist, is that even a thing?) ?

Biggest impass of all.... it's shiny, and I want it, but I know that I probably won't fully utilise it.

Cheers,
Babawow!

PS. I DO NOT WANT TO BUILD ANYTHING. I prefer spending my free time in the water, outside or working on recipes. Not a Jedi, don't need to make a lightsaber.
Babawow

equipment: Looking to get into the hobby. Planning on using a Gutenberg 40L boiler plus a pot still attachment.

Re: 55ltr Steam jacket tank - is it worth it?

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:00 pm

That sure look like one nice unit and one could do the mashing for the all grain using the element and mixer then use steam for the pot still run as soon as the ferment is finished grain still in. Only downside is the 2" outlet on the top meaning if one wanted to put a decent still on some solid support would be needed.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RC Al » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:10 pm

I doubt you could get all that built for that much, but i would be looking around for the 100l version at a good price

Typical AG mashes are only 6-7%, so the 55l @ 80% (headroom) = 44l@6% = 2.6l of 100% = maybe as much as 3 litres of drinkable 40% AG booze from a plater after cuts
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby bluc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:11 pm

Would be awesome for on the grain distillation but steam can be dangerous. Make sure you do plenty homework and know what you are doing before use..you will also need a steam generator..which has its own set of risks..good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:16 pm

RC Al wrote:I doubt you could get all that built for that much, but i would be looking around for the 100l version at a good price

Typical AG mashes are only 6-7%, so the 55l @ 80% (headroom) = 44l@6% = 2.6l of 100% = maybe as much as 3 litres of drinkable 40% AG booze from a plater after cuts

Thats about the amount i was getting from my 60l mash tun.
You could prob fermeng in it as well. Grind all the grain to flour stir continous while mashing ferment then add still turn on steam and away you go. Would be a very convient way to do things. And you would get ripper effeciency. But like I said can be dangerous.
Last edited by bluc on Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby RC Al » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:17 pm

The double boiler would negate the need for steam?
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:05 pm

For a bit of fun I made a flash boiler to test run a 5hp B&S engine I converted to 2 stroke way before I got into distilling. I did find once I got into the craft how to find the sweet spot to get plenty of steam out and with using my little luxford burner along with a good head height with the feed water the steam would heat 40 litres of water in about 20 minutes to the boil.

Now as other guy's have said Steam can be a killer and one needs to know what they are doing but when done correctly and safely it can be put to good use.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:28 pm

Indeed rc missed the bain marie port. Just run boiling water through it..instead of steam..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:11 pm

I always look everywhere for someone who has one and can give an honest opinion, do you know any others that have bought this same unit?
It all looks the goods but then that digital thermometer on top let's it down, I have 2 of the same thing, neither read correctly and are worth about $3.
It's these little things that make me baulk at something so expensive. I'm not writing this to burst your bubble by any measure mate, just my thoughts is all.

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Return to Hardware Research & Development