Rum Chat

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Chat

Postby bluc » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:26 am

I just ditch em they are pretty concentrated and manky. Feints of fenits always was ditched when I did it...Save heads tails do feints run anything not kept from that went down drain or into a cleaner bottle( I rarely kept it and it mostly just went down the drain..)
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Beerswimmer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:09 am

bluc wrote:I'd there specific bacteria you chase by adding potato and banana?

Not specific, but in search of anything that will help start my pit. I have seen where other people added fruit and potatoes, so I'm seeing if it does more than just air.
Beerswimmer

equipment: Pot only!!

Postby Rock » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:03 am

Rum wash question
My large 125 lt mc rum wash, has a reading of 1018 , but there is still activity, looks like just gas bubbles and a little movement in the wash ,temperature has started to drop 29°
It has been wrapped with blankets and held above 30° and up to 34°
Wash was 14kg raw sugar and 14lt molasses and 15lt backset.
Today is only 48hrs, it feels dry, do we say this is done and justneed to leave another couple of days before running?
:text-thankyoublue:
Rock

equipment: Turbo 500
FSD 4" x 5 plate bubble neutrilizer 600mm
Packed section.
50lt keg 2 x 2400 elements

Postby Rum Cat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 am

Rock, I would say that it is not done, not after 48 hours. Did you use any DAP, fermaid, or vitamin B, when you put it down? It reads to me as though your yeast could be a bit stressed, or your ph is off. What is your PH reading at?
I like to keep my PH at around 3.5 - 4.5, you can use some citric acid to lower your ph or some calcium carbonate to raise it. So check you PH and adjust if that is out(no more than 1/4 teaspoon at a time). If your PH is all good then add some yeast nutrient(DAP or Fermaid) and it should kick off again.
You are not likely to get a SG better 1.000 because of the molasses but it is not done yet.
Rum Cat

equipment: 2" reflux column

Postby Rock » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks, i buggered up on the time it is 96hr old, my ph was 5 , yes I added 2 tspn of dap.and no i didn't add acid cause I thought ( you know ,know all thought ) 5 was ok, i might go and give it a little citric acid and leave it another few days , I've got a 100wt heat belt , might tie it on for a couple of hour's. But the fg 1018 I'm happy with. Apreciate your view :D
Rock

equipment: Turbo 500
FSD 4" x 5 plate bubble neutrilizer 600mm
Packed section.
50lt keg 2 x 2400 elements

Postby orcy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:07 pm

1018 for a molasses wash is probably done. Mine normally end up around there. Either way if its the same off 2 days straight it's finished. Leave it up to a week to crash some of the crud out and you won't have as much trouble with foaming.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby bluc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:53 pm

Last year's rum aint bad. It spent 3mnths in 10l oak barrel. At this point I drew off 5l. It had a crazy strong honey taste. I put it in a demi with some French heavy char. It has transformed completely the honey is gone and it now has a nice mild smoke/and pipe tobacco taste. Only have 1.5l left though :angry-banghead:
"We gunna need a bigger boat"
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Blinky » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:05 pm

Hey guys and gals.
Just run 150l of Macrum with 4 plates through the bubbler. Run started at 90%, hearts started at 89% and was very small.
Im thinking it was the molasses in the wash that had very little sugar in it? recipe was as per Macrum scaled up and the ferment finished very dry.
Im thinking for the starting abv to be that low and the little extra power to the boiler to get this run going the was must a been around 6is%.......... i think :think:

Any one in Perth have the same thing with there molasses?
Blinky

equipment: 4'' pot and 170L boiler.
6'' 5 plate rig

Postby viking » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:18 pm

Blinky I don't have any issues with molasses, but I get it from Wannero.
Isn't Brigadoon stockfeed near you. Other WA distillers have spoken highly of the molasses from there previously.
viking

equipment: FSD 4 inch SSG 5 plates with packed section and 100L FSD boiler.

Postby Blinky » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Hey Viking, yep thats where it come from but dont get me wrong, what i got is gonna be real tasty.
Got it from the place on gnangara rd few years ago last time i made some rum and thats the only thing thats changed.
Im just trying to problem solve my low take off abv.
Last edited by Blinky on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blinky

equipment: 4'' pot and 170L boiler.
6'' 5 plate rig

Postby rash » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:08 pm

bluc wrote:You can put them with tails for feints run. I used to. I used to ditch fores though. I don't do feints now I have a bubbler, others do..

So is there any point to running feints heads and tails with the following wash when using a bubbler? I have been out of habit from when I was running a pot still... Just a waste of time? Am I gaining anything or doing the opposite?
Ash
rash

equipment: Pot still
4 plate, 3" bubbler on 50ltr keg boiler.

Postby woodduck » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:46 am

I run the faints of the last run in with the next run. I throw the fores of course and the first 2 jars (600ml) of heads. I found they were starting to stack a bit plus I hate headaches :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby rash » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:58 am

woodduck wrote:I run the faints of the last run in with the next run. I throw the fores of course and the first 2 jars (600ml) of heads. I found they were starting to stack a bit plus I hate headaches :laughing-rolling:

Sounds good, might start doing the same. Thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ash
rash

Postby bluc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:22 pm

I dont bother with feints from the bubbler also dont like flavour much of heads tails. Was different with the pot still when there was a decent amount of good ethanol in there as well as the crud. But I reakon the the bubbler does good job at seperation to the point I dont bother with feints anymore..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby rash » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:13 pm

With adding your tails into your next run through a bubbler, do you gain any hearts? Or just flavour and a heap more tails?
rash

Postby splitice » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:53 pm

I'm just finishing up some Rum, it's my second batch and for this one I split the dunder/backset between two fermenters after each generation. That is each generation ended up with 50% of the previous generations dunder.

I Ended up with 4 fermenters going for Gen 3.

I was thinking of storing some dunder in an air tight container (i.e how wort is typically stored in homebrew). Unfortunately I don't have the storage capacity for ~100L of dunder.

Has anyone ever tried reducing the water content through evaporation? I was thinking of running the still at 100-101 degrees with minimal water. Hoping to reduce the contents by ~50-75%.

Thoughts? My particular concerns would be loss of flavor or unbalancing. Of course this would need to be used sparingly.

There may be benifits to this as some acids can be removed at approx 101-102. As PH lowing is one of the main issues with over-usage of dunder this could be be benificial. Although this may lead to flavor changes due to a change in the types of acids.
splitice

equipment: Robobrew+ AlcoEngine

Postby andybear » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:18 am

I've been using a long handled spoon to scoop out the foam from the boiler during the heat up stage to avoid puking and it's been working pretty good. Since making all molasses washes the foaming and bubbles in the boiler have been nuts so I gave it a go and it's worked for the last 6 runs. I realise I could put less into the boiler for a greater head space but I like making more not less rum. My real answer is to get a bigger boiler, that's on my wish list for now.
I'm wondering if anyone else is doing this?
Cheers
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:20 am

andybear wrote:I've been using a long handled spoon to scoop out the foam from the boiler during the heat up stage to avoid puking and it's been working pretty good. Since making all molasses washes the foaming and bubbles in the boiler have been nuts so I gave it a go and it's worked for the last 6 runs. I realise I could put less into the boiler for a greater head space but I like making more not less rum. My real answer is to get a bigger boiler, that's on my wish list for now.
Cheers

Have you got a thermometer in your boiler? If so what temp are you stopping and sealing it up?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Br00ksy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:48 am

https://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/2/5/rum-super-geekdom.html

Stalked the last 10 pages of this thread and read the above and im curious if theres a yeast out there that can withstand really low pH. Thus :-B fast tracking the bonding of alcohols produced by the yeast with acids to form esters
Is that what specialty rum yeasts do best?
Just be more resilient against acids?
Br00ksy

equipment: "Foresight" Mac 4 SSG 50lt Keg boiler 2x 2400W elements
T500 with a basic pot still head

Postby andybear » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:37 pm

Cheers[/quote]

Have you got a thermometer in your boiler? If so what temp are you stopping and sealing it up?[/quote]

Hi Sam, no thermometer mate, I use two elements for the heat up stage with the boiler sealed up. Normally it's not that hot and I can remove the 4" sight glass without gloves, and the foaming is touching the glass. I turn only one element off as turning both off will allow the foam to drop back down. I then switch both off to replace the glass as this stops the vapour pressure from pushing the glass up. Then back on with both elements until the plates start to load up. The scooping process only takes about 2 minutes. Hope that helps.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development