Bubble plate reasons/explanation...

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Bubble plate reasons/explanation...

Postby Jono » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:18 pm

Ok peeps...lay it on me. I've got a 2 inch Boka which is bloody tops :handgestures-thumbupleft: but soooo slow :handgestures-thumbdown: . I'm in the process of building a product cooler or shell and tube cooler for stripping or pot stilling. Now, I've just been helping my groomsman build a 4 inch bubbler (which looks really cool by the way :happy-partydance: ) and my mistress of finance is asking why the bubble caps? Why 4 plates? Why is it better than a Boka or a pot still? How come they're the holy grail of still on the forum? Well anyway I just said that they're way quicker than a Boka and other than that I didn't know what else? Flavour carry over? Why are they better than a traditional pot? Is it the compaction of foreshots and heads before the hearts run? Less smearing during cuts? Why the bubble caps instead of some other design? Anyway I'm sure some others have had this conversation with their better half and have had to try and explain! :romance-kisscheek: Thanks in advance and links are welcome! :think: :think: :think:

Cheers,

Jono.
Jono

equipment: 50L Beer keg boiler with two 2.4kw elements, a kegland controller, 2 inch Bokakob aka Billy Bob Boka and Jack the stripper a 2.5inch shell and tube condenser for pot mode or stripping... Building up to getting a 4 inch plate still

Re: Bubble plate reasons/explanation...

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:16 pm

High speed single runs, high ABV, full flavour, excellent compression of fractions, they look cool, they're versatile, they can be run without a power controller. etc etc etc.

4 plates is the generally accepted happy medium between stripping too much flavour, and not enough. Plenty of people run 3, or 5, or 6, or different configurations for different spirits. Start with 4 and work from there.

Build one. Best thing I've ever done. I love mine.
Last edited by Zak Griffin on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby southern45 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:17 am

Time. Beforehand with the pot still I had to do three stripping runs, store the low wines, then do a slow spirit run. A single run of my 4" bubbler is done before lunch.

Versatility. Four plates to bring flavour across on a single run. Add a packed section and/or more plates for neutrals. Break it down and run as a pot if you feel the need.

Ease of use. Don't be intimidated by the look of them, once you get to know how they run they're a breeze to operate.

There are downsides though. Cost is one, they're not cheap. They also use a more water (set up a dedicated tank and pump, more cost involved). Depending on your current setup, a bubbler may take up a lot more space.

But screw it, just buy (or build) one already!
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:39 am

As far as water goes, I use a 250L wheelie bin and a $50 submersible pump from Bunnings... You don't need to spend much.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Jono » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:32 am

Hey thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to doing more research into the bubblers vs seives too. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jono

equipment: 50L Beer keg boiler with two 2.4kw elements, a kegland controller, 2 inch Bokakob aka Billy Bob Boka and Jack the stripper a 2.5inch shell and tube condenser for pot mode or stripping... Building up to getting a 4 inch plate still

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:37 am

There's arguments for and against caps and perforated plates, I personally would rather cut a few slots with a grinder than drill hundreds of tiny holes so I went with single 2" caps.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby db1979 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:48 pm

I went with for my 2" bubbler but found cleaning it was a bit annoying, as it's modular it always retains a bath after the run is finished. I could have drilled a small hole in each plate and each downcomer but I didn't.

My 4" is sieve plate to overcome this issue, plus I figured it wasn't too bad drilling all the holes, and it actually didn't take all that long. Only problem I have is if I need to walk away from the still I shut it down and I lose my bath on each plate.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Beginners Questions