The glass duck

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: The glass duck

Postby Tesla101 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:21 pm

Hey woodduck, congrats on a great build. I love how modular it is - basically 3 stills in one.

It's exactly what I've bee looking for - my desert island still is a glass bubbler that I can use for browns and neutrals and for gin as well.

If I had a tenth of your skills I'd probably have a crack at building one, but I think I'll just order from FSD instead. (And because I want something that works out of the box)

Until I have enough pennies I'll have to make do with the T500. I'm trying to convince SWMBO that I'm saving at least $100/month already by distilling my own so I should be able to own my dream still in a couple of years :laughing-rolling:
Tesla101

equipment: T500 pot still (Pot Head) & reflux column (Skinny Bitch)
(wish I had a FSD 4" Visualiser)

Postby woodduck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks mate.

The whole reason I did my build thread was to give blokes like you the confidence to have a crack. I didn't use any fancy tools or skills really. If it's going to take you 2 years to save up for a still why not buy a bit of copper hear and there and slowly build one. I've done a couple of videos on how to build different still components, they might help? (Happy to do more if people want them?) It's not that hard, all the info you need is right here on this forum just do some reading through the build threads and tips from the work bench section and you'll be fine.

Best of luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby db1979 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:42 pm

woodduck wrote:Thanks mate.

The whole reason I did my build thread was to give blokes like you the confidence to have a crack. I didn't use any fancy tools or skills really. If it's going to take you 2 years to save up for a still why not buy a bit of copper hear and there and slowly build one. I've done a couple of videos on how to build different still components, they might help? (Happy to do more if people want them?) It's not that hard, all the info you need is right here on this forum just do some reading through the build threads and tips from the work bench section and you'll be fine.

:text-+1: start with the little parts and you'll get some confidence. I didn't have fancy tools either - drill, rotary tool (ozito version of a dremel), hammer, files and a cheap propane torch. Stepped drill bits help but aren't essential. I have a piece of steel that I cut a 10 mm notch into to help bend over the easy flanges.
db1979
Mentor

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Virtually retired: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses)

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:15 am

Have a look at my Heart of Gold build thread if you haven't already seen it mate. Aside from the sightglasses, which are a bit fancier than necessary, I built the whole thing in a 2mx2m garden shed with about $200 worth of tools.
Zak Griffin
Mentor

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Tesla101 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:07 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys. :text-thankyoublue:

I do have a few projects on the go that I need to finish first, like renovating a 100 year old out-building into a music studio that's going to take another year or so.

After that's done and I have some free time I'll definitely look into doing a build. At least I can start buying some of the stuff I couldn't build, like the glasses, tri-clamps, etc. from FSD and start chipping away at it.
Tesla101

equipment: T500 pot still (Pot Head) & reflux column (Skinny Bitch)
(wish I had a FSD 4" Visualiser)

Postby justlearning » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:05 am

woodduck wrote:Thanks mate.

Yours is the one that got me keen and manage me decide to have a go.
Ripped off most of my design From yours! :teasing-neener: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Thanks for the inspiration!
justlearning

equipment: 2" Reflux Liquid Management with a window
Based on the Carriage Still on this site

Postby woodduck » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:32 am

Glad to hear you got something out of it.

I think this is a great hobby for those that like to tinker, plenty of fun to be had building.
woodduck

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills