Ultrasonic cleaning copper still parts

Parrots beaks, valves, condensers, and all other hardware for stilling.

Ultrasonic cleaning copper still parts

Postby Jezza93 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:40 am

Hi..

Just wonding has any one looked into or have cleaning the copper still parts in a ultrasonic cleaner?? Just wanted to to see if it will work and worth getting one :think:

I have a glass build and want it looking good :happy-partydance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jezza93

equipment: 2 inch Reflux with home made keg boiler gas ring burner for heating

Re: Ultrasonic cleaning copper still parts

Postby Lesgold » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:18 am

Hi Jezza,
I use a small ultra sonic cleaner for removing dirrt, grit etc. from gold Nuggets that I find in the bush. I reckon that a large one would be very good at removing impurities, flux residue etc from copper components. Using vinegar, citric acid etc in the bath would probably do a great job, especially if you were to find the right proportions. I often use hot water and detergent, alibrite or sugar soap and water for cleaning gold. I would not suggest Alibrite for copper however. Would be interested to hear about results.

Cheers

Les
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby prawnz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:01 am

Hi Jezza
Yep I use that exact US cleaner (in my fishing reel servicing business) for cleaning my scrubbers and saddles , perfect :handgestures-thumbupleft:
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby tubbsy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:06 pm

FWIW, at work we use ultrasonic baths with citric acid (100g in 1L) to clean our platinum crucibles used in a lithium borate fusion. Takes 15 minutes and they come out as good as new. I'd imagine copper parts would clean up just as well in a citric solution.
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:05 pm

Guess you better take some into work and test the theory :handgestures-thumbupleft: :teasing-tease:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:14 pm

I reckon it would work a treat :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Jezza93 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:18 pm

Thanks guys looks like I going to have to get one now haha :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jezza93

equipment: 2 inch Reflux with home made keg boiler gas ring burner for heating

Postby Danbo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:33 am

I have one for cleaning various things and for the price, would never do without. Just water and a bit of dish soap for cleaning dirty glass pieces, my other hobby is glass blowing. They come out cleaner than you have ever seen. Cleaning jewelry is amazing as well.
They are obnoxiously loud, so you want them in the room you are not in! Buzzing vibrating noise.
Danbo

equipment: 53l keg
3" column, Boka and pot head
5500w controlled
36" liebeg

Return to Accessories