BCAAs

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

BCAAs

Postby G8keeper » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi Guys,

I know that BCAAs are very important for yeast growth so my question is -

Has anyone ever tried adding powdered (or crushed) BCAAs to their wash/mash before and seen any improvement in the fermentation process, whether it be speed or something else?

The reason I'm asking is I have a heap of powdered BCAAs and was thinking of trying some in my next TPW to see if it makes any difference. Maybe some of you chemistry majors can help me out with this one!? :think:

Sorry if this is a noob question but that's why I put it here. Any and all thoughts/criticism welcome.

Edit: I just found this info here - https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/ajgw.12313

Addition of BCAAs improved yeast growth and fermentation activity, increased the production of higher alcohols, medium‐chain fatty acids and their corresponding esters (82, 34 and 49% increment compared to that of the Control, respectively).

Cheers
G8
Last edited by G8keeper on Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
G8keeper

equipment: Still Spirits Copper Turbo 500

Re: BCAAs

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:00 pm

Why complicate a very simple process by adding amino acids
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby G8keeper » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:10 pm

Hey I'm just chasing a faster fermentation without the use of turbos.
G8keeper

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:11 pm

This is a hobby of patients :-B
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby G8keeper » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:36 pm

I have plenty of patience ;-) I've been happily making TPW's for the last 5/6yrs.

It's just that I have a stubborn mate who has been using turbo yeast, clear, carbon etc etc for 10+yrs and stubbornly refuses to make a TPW because it's too slow... I just want to find a way to save his money, time & life.

Anyway it seems I might have inadvertently hit a nerve that I wasn't trying for... my apologies.
G8keeper

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:41 pm

Have you had a look at teddys FFVW? That is supposed to ferment quick :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby G8keeper » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:53 pm

Hi Sam... thanks for that info.

I had looked at it before and just rechecked it to see why it wasn't suitable. Basically unless it's winter here the temps rarely get below 30 without using some kind of cooling... just another expense and another excuse for him sticking with turbo shiite.

I suppose I could try experimenting with that as a base and see how it works at higher temps :handgestures-thumbupleft:
G8keeper

Postby RC Al » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:07 pm

82% extra higher alcohols sounds like a bunch of nasties i dont want in my wash...
The other two most likely are are of interest if you are making something not neutral (rum comes to mind) but the 82% extra tails sounds like a bridge too far to me.

b complex tablet, DAP, boiled yeast, small dab of butter, epsom salts, magnesium are all things mentioned in the various washes
Constant temps, PH and adequate yeast to start with are prob the biggest for speed of fermentation
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby G8keeper » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:24 pm

RC Al wrote:82% extra higher alcohols sounds like a bunch of nasties i dont want in my wash...

Thanks RC Al I guess I didn't look at it that way.

Cheers
G8keeper

Postby db1979 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:03 pm

Your mate just needs extra fermenters and to do a bit of planning ahead. Buy sugar with every shop, put a new wash on as soon as the fermenters are emptied and before you know it it won't matter how long they take. Money and the liver saved.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Beginners Questions