In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Well getting up at 4.30 every mornng thru the week for work surely makes sleeping on a weekend hard and yesterday brought home 8 off 1500mm lengths of 75x40x6 C section for building the frame for that 6" jaw crusher i'm making. started at 7 am this morning and by 11am run out of material so decided that 75mm RHS I already have will do for the risers but then the height became the big question as one doesn't want to lift rocks to put them in the crusher.

anyway lunch time came around and so did the yard arm so no more welding and give the inverter a rest. This arvo's quest is to setup that water blaster and give that 5hp motor a nice clean and see if there is an oil leak or the last owner was just sloppy with putting oil in.

This should really go into fuckups but last weekend did a first run for the season doing a TPW to make some neutral and decided to hit the ciders i made while doing the run. Well the ciders sat me on my ass and when changing a cut jar I dropped it causing a fire, so cut off the gas and water supply and drenched the area with water to contain the fire. I kissed goodbye to 3 milk crates as they melted and my butane lighter I use to start my gas burners. The gas line to the burner was toast also and as I was running an ad hock setup it is time to set it up properly.

One cant contain a fuckup like this so the warning is don't try a shed shed cider when running the still

cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby scythe » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Lucky save.

Tell me more about this jaw crusher of yours.
What do you plan to use for the liners?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby TBone » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:55 pm

New package arrived today from 5 Star... packed immaculately as always to survive the journey so thanks very much Stig!

I got a small add on to better equip me to make some neutral... so a section to hold some copper mesh and another sight glass for the bubbler.

It sure is a good bit taller now... but still enough room to keep things indoors which is nice.

Now onto cleaning... which by the way... if you guys have some insight... I'd be all ears. I started a quick thread in the beginners section to just clarify the best steps to take.

Cheers!

T
TBone

equipment: 5 Star Mac 4 SSG
50L keg boiler
Grainfather brewing system

Postby The Stig » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:58 pm

Glad it’s all landed safe and sound :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Chuck all the stainless through the dishwasher and soak all the copper in citric
Do a sac run and your done
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:37 pm

scythe wrote:Lucky save.

Tell me more about this jaw crusher of yours.
What do you plan to use for the liners?

G'day Scythe,
A while ago the local mining company came and did an assay of our farm and came back 3 times for a deeper look. The geo involved said this was his last job with the mine as he was moving on. So I asked him about those 4 hot spots he had shown on the assay map and whether any gold would be there. He replied well Bryan go grab some of those rocks and crush them and my guess you will find some but not enough for us to spend millions to get too.

Now years ago I machined up a pair of eccentrics as I was on making a plate compactor but I found a leg rammer at a garage sale for next to nothing. So the idea of using those eccentrics the moving plate came to life. Well from there I started fabricating the crusher and with the cleanup at work scored a 16mm plate of bisalloy so that is what I'm using for the fixed and movable plates.

This morning I started fabricating the frame and found the inverter kept tripping so decided to move the extension cord to another power point that on it's own circuit from the inverter. That worked a treat and I got the frame all welded up without the inverter tripping. This morning as I walked in the shed the shed forklift battery was bubbling away so it was time to give it some punishment :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:01 pm

I had my rc block today. After hour of scratching my head(and my ass) trying to work out why abv was 78 instead of 88abv checking for leaks looking for kinks in hoses etc. I disasembled cooling line to find it(rc) blocked(my guess slimey water snot) ducted taped a hose to inlet and blew it clear. Note to self may be time to dump ibc water and refill fresh :handgestures-thumbdown:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:47 pm

Shit that’s no good.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:43 pm

Well being our 17th wedding anniversary the apple cider had to be bottled so 72 knock downs were bottled and yesterday while out the back of the farm found a few paving rocks. Offered today to put them in but after a few pale ales got told don't bother :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

So with the pales and a trip to the shed to sample some apple brandy what a good day to do fuckall. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby CH3CH2OH » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:54 pm

Put a batch of rum down yesterday. Bubbling away nicely!

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4132.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby bluc » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:58 pm

Cool looking fermenter are they homemade airlocks?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby CH3CH2OH » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pm

They are 2" to 1-1/2" threaded PVC reducers with a ping pong ball. They work great!! the ping pong ball seats right in there and makes a pretty good seal.

I think I got the idea from The Doctor years ago

That is an old waterbed heater wrapped around the fermenter and controlled with an stc1000.
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby Lesgold » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:02 pm

Well, I bit the bullet yesterday. Splurged at bunnings and got myself an oxypropane torch and then bought some copper to make a boka and a pot during the lockdown that should arrive any day. Got to play in the workshop to prevent madness taking over. With sugar now becoming available, a bit of play time should also follow. Need to make some TFFV to sanitise internal organs.....
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby db1979 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:30 pm

bluc wrote:Cool looking fermenter are they homemade airlocks?

:text-+1:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Maxxx » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Officially WFH now, so used all my hoarded sugar and filled the twins :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maxxx

equipment: 100 litre stripper
Double retort Caribbean rum still under construction.

Postby EziTasting » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 pm

Maxxx,
I hope you measured those drums!!! I have the same and, I too, thought they were 200L but they turned out to be just 150L...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Maxxx » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:59 pm

EziTasting wrote:Maxxx,
I hope you measured those drums!!! I have the same and, I too, thought they were 200L but they turned out to be just 150L...

Yeah both 200, filled them with water when I first got them last year, put marks every 50 litre up the side of each
I like the fact if I put a mini torch on the mark on the outside I can see the spot on the inside so I know where to fill to.
Maxxx

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 am

Maxxx wrote:
EziTasting wrote:Maxxx,

Yeah both 200, filled them with water when I first got them last year, put marks every 50 litre up the side of each
I like the fact if I put a mini torch on the mark on the outside I can see the spot on the inside so I know where to fill to.

That is a good idea with the torch.
wynnum1

Postby EziTasting » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:07 am

Noice!

Yer I couldn’t at first figure out why the ferments in mind were going bad... until I measured the volume as I filled it... :teasing-tease:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Maxxx » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Proof my alcohol meter is out :D
Maxxx

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:41 pm

Sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit