Kale neutral.

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Kale neutral.

Postby db1979 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:17 pm

EziTasting wrote:Have done WBAB once before... but not as a neutral... perhaps it will be my next nemesis!
I do believe it is more labour intensive than TPW... it’s be like TFFV!

It's not more labour intensive with the garden hose.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby EziTasting » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:57 pm

db1979 wrote:
EziTasting wrote:Have done WBAB once before... but not as a neutral... perhaps it will be my next nemesis!
I do believe it is more labour intensive than TPW... it’s be like TFFV!

It's not more labour intensive with the garden hose.

:laughing-rolling: I get the feeling your trying to tell me something!!! Juuuuuust can’t quite put my finger on it... :think: :laughing-rolling:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby db1979 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:11 pm

:laughing-rolling:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:47 pm

I don't get it. :wtf:
db1979

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am

EziTasting wrote:Mate, if I can make this Kale wash work I’d be happy!!! Only thing I have not yet tried is the frozen kale (as per mad hatter)... IF I can make it work, then I’ll compare it to the others before I try bok Choi!

That’s not a NO! It’s a ‘I need to confer this one first!’ Before I try any other variants... have you tried bok Choi?

No have not tried bok Choi but there is a post at trying wombok but do have some growing and will have to do a experimental wash bok Choi is easy and quick to grow have grown some in 2 litre milk bottles made into a pot .
These green vegetables have inorganic nitrates that is what may make suitable as a yeast nutrient depending what you read on google they are good or bad to eat.

Minpac
Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:24 pm
Stripped 50L wombok & sugar wash (experimental alternative to a kale wash). Haven't tasted a kale, but this was pretty neutral even in the strip - stripped down to 10% alc, because I never found the tail taste. Should be promising ...
wynnum1

Postby EziTasting » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:23 pm

:think: interesting!

Well, keep us in the loop! See what comes of this kale washes...
EziTasting

Postby bigadz » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:59 am

Just chucked 200L of this down and fucked everything up due to being in a rush, not concentrating and maybe slightly under the weather from last night 8-}

Fucked up the sugar, thought I needed 20kg when I needed 40kg....

So in the end

200L wash
800g frozen kale nutribulleted
35kg sugar (had to invert some more and feed it in, couldn't be bothered trying to get the extra 5kg in)
90g of uvaferm 43 (usage on the packet for wine is about 40g/100L so hopefully that's enough)

Rehydrated yeast as per instructions, mixed everything up, pitched at 30C, OG 1.060.

see how we go, managed to over tighten my new tap which has now cracked and has a tiny drip every now and then. Just didn't go right today
bigadz

equipment: 4" 5 plate glass bubbler with FSD neutralizer
Dual 2400w element keg boiler

Postby RC Al » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:46 pm

You can add the extra 5kg anytime you like

Was going to question the sugar inversion, but as its kale, it seems to need a fast start, so :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby bigadz » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:13 pm

RC Al wrote:You can add the extra 5kg anytime you like

Was going to question the sugar inversion, but as its kale, it seems to need a fast start, so :handgestures-thumbupleft:

See how we go, I'm fermenting in a 220L olive barrel, I usually use a paint stirrer on my drill to mix it all up but it's so full now it started flicking shit everywhere so just left out the 5kg and settled on a max of 8% ABV.

And yeh, just wanted to make sure the wash had everything it needed so inverted some.
bigadz

Postby bigadz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:55 am

So update on mine, been a week and it hasn't moved a single inch.....

Maybe my yeast is bad? I rehydrated it, it grew and I pitched it all as specified but it hasn't budged an inch.

It's like everytime I use something other than lowans it screws up
bigadz

Postby The Stig » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:23 am

That wine yeast will take weeks longer than lowans to ferment.
Wine yeasts are notoriously slow fermenters, so have a little patients .
PM me your address and I’ll send you some of our gold yeast, see how that goes
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:07 pm

bigadz wrote:So update on mine, been a week and it hasn't moved a single inch.....

Maybe my yeast is bad? I rehydrated it, it grew and I pitched it all as specified but it hasn't budged an inch.

Mate UVAFerm is slower than a wet month! As per Stig ...
EziTasting

Postby bigadz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:20 pm

EziTasting wrote:
bigadz wrote:So update on mine, been a week and it hasn't moved a single inch.....

Mate UVAFerm is slower than a wet month! As per Stig ...

I'd expect it to move at least something in a week @ 30C! How long does this stuff take to dry out?

Stig feels sorry for me so gonna help me with saf gold and see how we go!
bigadz

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Hah.... how long is a piece of string?

My TPW took 7 weeks before I spat the dummy and ran it. Puked like my son after skulling a bottle of Jägermeister!
But the end result was more volume of ‘cleaner’ neutral.

It has its purpose, but it won’t be my goto yeast.... will, however throw it in at then end of the ferment

I also think 30 is slightly high... but I will be corrected
EziTasting

Postby bigadz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:43 am

Another update,

Last week pitched 150g of rehydrated bakers over the top, bubbled like crazy for a few days, have checked it this morning hoping for something significant but only at 1.040. So it moved better with the bakers but still a long way off.

Checked the pH and it was at 2.9, so smashed some calcium carbonate to help jack it up, only had enough to get it to 3.2, and added 40g of DAP, gave it all a big stir and now waiting to see what happens.

The taste is pleasant but sweet, hopefully the yeast in there will fire up again and that should be it if not, I guess more yeast and calcium carbonate?
Last edited by bigadz on Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigadz

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:07 am

I am struggling, of late, with my pH crashing my ferments. Funny thing is, I am using better quality water but it seems to work against me.... :wtf:

Kimboodius uses a cup of shell grit for every one of his ferments, I believe it is for a 23L fermenter (correct me if I am wrong) so I have been using that as well (but just realised that I am using the wrong qty for my much larger fermenters :angry-banghead: ), it has given me some success...

Now that I figured out what I am doing wrong, 8-} , I'll go back and try again! Thanks you for your help... :D
EziTasting

Postby Brewmaboiiis » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:12 pm

Thanks for the recipe, I’m about to venture into my first one.
I am using the EC1118 yeast.
Looking forward to the result. I’ve got to get less sweet.
Brewmaboiiis

equipment: Still Spirits Copper reflux still

Postby db1979 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:11 pm

Hey Brewmaboiiis, glad to hear from you, how about popping into the welcome centre and letting us know a bit about yourself and what you're trying to achieve?
db1979

Postby googe » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:49 pm

Hi bigadz, I recieved a email.from you saying you private messaged me about kale wash. I'm not allowed private messaging here for.some stupid reason. So you'll have to ask here sorry.
Cheers
googe

equipment: Single.plate cm

Postby bigadz » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:57 am

G'day googe and everyone else!

I've done a couple of kale washes now and really love it, however I am finding they take forever.

I am using a EC1118 instead of bakers which is the biggest difference, but everything else is the same, I never go more than 1.060 in terms of OG and I am able to hold my fermentation vessel at specific temperatures which for me works well at about 20C to 22C.

I find they go well to about 1.040 then take forever. I haven't adjusted pH or anything as my TPW's using Melbourne water generally go fine. I have taken a reading of my current one and it's 3.3pH which according to lallemand, is will tolerated by EC1118.

Just wanted to ask if you (or anyone else) have had any issues scaling the recipes up, or if you have used things like citric or salts to get the water corrected to work a little better.

Cheers everyone, and hope our NZ Bros are corona free and surviving lockdown!
bigadz

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development