Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Cornflakes Whiskey (CFW) chat thread

Postby bluc » Thu May 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Barrel is better due to oxegun interaction I reakon. If you open your jars and let them breath it makes a diff or use an air pump and stainless air stone and aerate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Handyandy180 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:56 am

Hi all
I could do with a bit of advice on my CFW wash that has been fermenting now since mid day of the 17th. The start SG was 1074 with a temperature of 32 degrees. I have maintained a steady temperature of between 20 and 22 degrees since it started.
My problem is it doesn't seem to be doing much! I have just popped the hydrometer in again and there has been no change since it first started It still showing SG of 1074.

Not sure how quickly it normally ferments but have a feeling I have done something wrong. The only deviation to the recipe was that I added rye meal on the 18th and gave it a quick stir, it frothed up like hell and has now settled.
Any ideas
Cheers
Handyandy180

equipment: Air still mini

Postby Ravvin » Mon May 20, 2019 3:05 pm

Sounds like a bad batch of yeast. How old was it?
If you still have any of the yeast you used, put some in a jar with warm water and some sugar and see if it starts to froth up after a while. If it doesn't, there's your problem.
You can always add more yeast to your ferment. The dead yeast will just act as extra nutrient.
Ravvin

equipment: 5 Star 4" Deneuraliser of a 50L boiler
T500 Copper

Postby Handyandy180 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:47 pm

Ravvin wrote:Sounds like a bad batch of yeast. How old was it?
If you still have any of the yeast you used, put some in a jar with warm water and some sugar and see if it starts to froth up after a while. If it doesn't, there's your problem.
You can always add more yeast to your ferment. The dead yeast will just act as extra nutrient.

Many thanks for that Ravvin I'll check tomorrow and add more yeast if needed
Cheers
Handyandy180

equipment: Air still mini

Postby rlmisso » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:22 am

Has anybody tried crunchy nut corn flakes? I did a search but nothing came up... They're half price at Coles and little price difference to the standard corn flakes atm.
rlmisso

equipment: None yet...

Postby Thelegion » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Well this is my first Cornflake and Wheatabix ferment, I couldn't resist with all this chit chat going on about it. I'm sure you've heard it'll before but I'll send an update on how long it takes to ferment out and what the finished goodness tastes like.

-Bout 45 ltrs
-Bout 1,08 sp gravity
-Bout 10 tablespoons red star yeast
-1pack(med box) cornflakes and 6 wheatabix biscuits

-OH and, 1/2 cup of turb, think I got the term right, the stuff left in the bottom of the fermenter, yeast and other goodies.

ImageIMG_0574 by Shaun M, on Flickr
Thelegion

equipment: FOR YOUR 4" BUBBLING PLEASURE

Postby Sam. » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:41 pm

Close, it’s trub pronounces “troob”
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Thelegion » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:00 pm

24 hrs and it's dropped 3 points on the sg scale, fizzing like pop now, all my washes seem to behave like this though.

We'll see if the turb/troob :pray: helps any, I'll bugga off now and return when it's game day.

Cheers...
Thelegion

Postby The Stig » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:37 pm

Trub :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby splitice » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:29 am

Just did my first stripping run of this. Funnily it does taste a bit like cornflakes coming out lol. I can see how this will become a fine whiskey.

I'm currently experimenting with some different ingredients in my second batch including 2 cups of milled & mashed (with some ale malt for enzymes) smoked malt.
splitice

equipment: Robobrew+ AlcoEngine

Postby Thelegion » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:56 am

The Stig wrote:Trub :laughing-rolling:

DAM IT< it's TRUB then :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

TL.......

Pssssss,

it's the 24th now and the sg is right around 1.0, so not too bad for just yeast, sugar,flakes and wheatabix, I'll run it next week hopefully.
Last edited by Thelegion on Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thelegion

Postby Thelegion » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:02 pm

So,
update on the cornflakes and wheatabix, after distilling I had it sitting around for several weeks in glass waiting for some free time to bottle it. I picked up some oak staves from a local wine shop and busted them down into pencil size sticks after toasting and charing them. I ended up with 16 bottles, I pencil oaked 6 bottles at 50% and tucked them away, the other 10 were at 40%. Well after a week or two the colour is developing nicely and it is very pleasant to sip.

I think that if you're going to make this it will be a "must" to have it on oak, I tested it "green" without oak and it's just not there as a real enjoyable drink on its own; but even after two week on oak it's pretty good on its own.

If you would like to see picks of the colour development after two weeks chime in below.

cheers, TL.....
Thelegion

Postby Birdman85 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:52 pm

Thelegion wrote:If you would like to see picks of the colour development after two weeks chime in below.

cheers, TL.....

Without pics it never really happened?!
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby sloth » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:58 pm

howdy there brains trust :)
so todays spirit run has yielded me 7L of white dog, pic below with a bit of chared oak

ive got most of it on oak at 10g per Liter with 2L with 20g/L to see how it goes.

has anyone spiced this stuff? i was thinking i would like to play with 2L of it and see if i can get something interesting

any recomendations appreciated

edit: its at 65%
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sloth on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sloth

equipment: Boka style combo reflux and pot still made by Damian Horwarth

Postby Thelegion » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:24 pm

Birdman85 wrote:
Thelegion wrote:If you would like to see picks of the colour development after two weeks chime in below.

cheers, TL.....

Without pics it never really happened?!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thelegion

Postby sloth » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:28 pm

ooo, i like those bottles... where do you get them from mate

and what is the wax is that for any specific reason

hmmm appears my question mark button doesnt work lol
sloth

equipment: Boka style combo reflux and pot still made by Damian Horwarth

Postby WhiskeySour » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:24 am

60L of Gen 6 ready to strip this weekend then a spirit run the following. I've been adding LME and weatbix from the beginning to try and replicate a more typical grain bill, so far so good with the earlier gens on oak, even though I fucked up my first spirit run by running a bit too fast. Tails taste has disappeared over time, I think I'm at about the 6 week mark now, hoping to be ready for Christmas

How many gens is everyone pushing this to? Early on Zak mentioned going to 8 but the flavour dropping off after gen 6. I feel like it is a shame to start again after getting this far (I ran single 30L batches for gen 1-3, then split to 2x 30L for 4-6), but don't want to waste my time pushing it any further if I'll be disappointed
I am thinking of maybe scooping out a bit more cereal slop in the fermenter, say 50% or more, and top up with higher portion of fresh stuff. and/or a little less backset
Last edited by WhiskeySour on Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby RC Al » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:47 pm

I have only done a small amount of cfw, but heaps of ngw, i stopped adding fresh stuff to it a few gens ago thinking i could use it for a more neutral wash out of the pot still and i cant kill the flavour in that wash by no back set and just topping up the sugar each time :think:

Try what your doing with the corn flakes, but substitute boiled cracked corn, much cheaper in the long run, i dont muck with my grain much with that either
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby WhiskeySour » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Haha "too much flavour" is a good problem to have I reckon.

Have considered cracked corn but haven't put any effort into finding a supply near me. The HBS round the corner wants $5/kg so have just stuck with flakes for now. Got angel yeast on the way so will have to pull my finger out
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby Wellsy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:02 pm

Whiskey Sour I have tried the Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off which just uses the corn for flavour mate as you add sugar for the alcohol. Standard bakers yeast works fine with it. I get my cracked corn from a local feed shop which charges me $20:00 for 20kg so is much cheaper than cereal. I hope that helps mate.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development