Confused on what still to buy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Confused on what still to buy

Postby Obie » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:08 am

Hi there

I am new to working with stills but very interested I have been doing a lot of reading and watching a load of YouTube
Finding it very interesting and am keen to give it a go ..

I am mostly looking at making white spirits at the start but am confused about what still to buy I was looking at the
Turbo 500 reflux still but now after doing research not sure ?

So what’s the best still to buy in Australia for a beginner set up any help would be much appreciate

Thanks obie :teasing-nutkick:
Obie

equipment: I don’t have one yet

Re: Confused on what still to buy

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:00 am

Hi Obie, welcome to the forum.
If you’re mainly looking for white spirits then you can’t go past the 2” boka from five star.
This will be the best still for you to start with and it can be detuned so you can make brown spirits if you like.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby gap » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:15 am

The 5star 2" boka makes the T500 reflux still look like a toy in comparison.
I have just received a 5star boka and am very pleased with my purchase.
gap

equipment: nothing at the moment. want to purchase or make a pot still

Postby The Stig » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:26 am

gap wrote:The 5star 2" boka makes the T500 reflux still look like a toy in comparison.
I have just received a 5star boka and am very pleased with my purchase.

Now there’s some good news in amongst all this crap going down .
Thanks Gap :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by The Stig on Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Carol » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi Obie
I am a comparative newbie and have a 5 star 2" boka and pot. The boka produces high quality 95% neutral. Quality kit that will see me out ( LOL!). I have a pretty good system going now and am happy to answer any questions you might have.
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Professor Green » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:00 pm

Welcome Obie.

Nothing but good advice above. If decide you want to branch out to flavoured spirits later you can add some extra buts to make a 2" pot.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby VirtualT » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:50 pm

I would recommend the alcoengine reflux, for the price point $150 it is a good bit of kit, easy to use and works great.
Last edited by VirtualT on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
VirtualT

equipment: 2" boka and 2" pot head

Postby PeterC » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:15 pm

VirtualT wrote:I would recommend the alcoengine reflux, for the price point $150 it is a good bit of kit, easy to use and works great.

I had a very similar unit to this and found that the very short length did not allow for good reflux and separation of heads and tails. Even though I did TPW washes, they were not clean enough for me. I then got a Keggomax FM still and this was better but not yet good enough and had other problems. It was about 400 mm long for the packed section but it needs to be double this. So after having wasted my money on those I was going to buy a 5Star Boka but decided the collection rate of a 2 inch system was too low for the volume I wanted to make. (Basically moving from 25L washes to 50 litre) so I went for a 4 inch bubbler instead.

That's my 2 cents worth but every one has different taste.
Peter C.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby VirtualT » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:35 pm

PeterC wrote:
VirtualT wrote:I would recommend the alcoengine reflux, for the price point $150 it is a good bit of kit, easy to use and works great.

I had a very similar unit to this and found that the very short length did not allow for good reflux and separation of heads and tails. Even though I did TPW washes, they were not clean enough for me. I then got a Keggomax FM still and this was better but not yet good enough and had other problems. It was about 400 mm long for the packed section but it needs to be double this. So after having wasted my money on those I was going to buy a 5Star Boka but decided the collection rate of a 2 inch system was too low for the volume I wanted to make. (Basically moving from 25L washes to 50 litre) so I went for a 4 inch bubbler instead.

That's my 2 cents worth but every one has different taste.
Peter C.

I get excellent separation, I have insulated the column with lagging from bunnings, I reflux about 30 minutes before I start the run, use the smaller of the holes (.6mm) usually only ditch about 400ml of heads, and are into tails exactly after 0.1 degrees rise at the head which is 97 odd on the boiler (not the 1 degree rise as per the instructions). But I agree, it is slow and I'm ready for an upgrade for sure.
VirtualT

equipment: 2" boka and 2" pot head

Postby PeterC » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:33 pm

VirtualT wrote: use the smaller of the holes (.6mm) usually only ditch about 400ml of heads, and are into tails exactly after 0.1 degrees rise at the head which is 97 odd on the boiler (not the 1 degree rise as per the instructions). But I agree, it is slow and I'm ready for an upgrade for sure.

I ditched the plug with the hole and used a 1/8 inch needle valve so I could collect slow for foreshots and speed up for heads but I still struggled.
Cheers,
Peter C.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby Obie » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:34 am

Thanks for your info thinking I will go the boka still just doing a bit more research looking forward to get started :text-thankyoublue:
Obie

equipment: I don’t have one yet

Return to Welcome Centre