Upside down PC acting as RC - Poormans Reflux

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Upside down PC acting as RC - Poormans Reflux

Postby rotceh_dnih » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:03 pm

Ok might sound dumb as my first question here but would it not work ?, i have a 50L Keg with a 2200w element sitting on top is a 2" tee going to a 1.2m liebig acting as a simple pot still.
I'm waiting for my column to arrive to build a CCVM but till that gets here i was thinking i could just flip my PC upside down so the output is pointing to the sky, maybe swap out my water intake/outputs and reflux for 30-45m then go back to normal and collect?

I know im not going to get a neutral doing it that way but surly it'll bump the ABV up somewhat yea ? ,Just thought id post and ask before i go and blow my self up doing something stupid :roll: might be over looking some safety issues but in my mind it all sounds solid.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Last edited by rotceh_dnih on Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rotceh_dnih

equipment: 2" 1M CCVM With a 160mm copper coil/coldfinger + 1.5M liebig

Re: Upside down PC acting as RC - Poormans Reflux

Postby Shaun » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:20 pm

I would have thought you need some type of packing, but i am still new at this.
Shaun

equipment: 2" CM Reflux Still
50L Keg

Postby db1979 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:36 pm

Hi mate, how about putting up a post in the welcome centre and tell us a bit more about your experience, equipment and what you're hoping to achieve?

Sounds like what you're suggesting will be completely pointless. If I understand what you're talking about correctly, you're planning on refluxing through your liebig by having it point vertically, then turning off your still and putting the liebig in a different orientation so that it points downwards and you're able to collect product. If this is what you are thinking, then no. Refluxing aims to load the column up with progressively higher and higher percentage alcohol throughout the height of the column. When you start collecting, the alcohol at the top comes off. If some refluxing is still occurring (not enough to knock down all vapour, but enough to maintain the percentage alcohol) then the column continues to be loaded and product is taken off. The amount of reflux to product taken off is referred to as the reflux ratio. You would have none of this occurring as you would lose it all in changing the configuration of your still. And don't even think about doing it while the still is running.

If I've misunderstood you, please provide more info.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby rotceh_dnih » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:58 pm

Thanks mate, You nailed it 100% that was indeed my thought process. i'll head over and post in the welcome section now but to sum it up im green AF with only 5-6 pot still runs before this and im only a week off getting my column finished "1.5m 2" ccvm " just got impatient i guess but im glad i got that brain fart out of the way :p
rotceh_dnih

equipment: 2" 1M CCVM With a 160mm copper coil/coldfinger + 1.5M liebig

Postby db1979 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:33 pm

You gotta start somewhere mate.

Post up some photos of your still in your intro post :handgestures-thumbupleft: we love photos :D
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluc » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:03 pm

I have heard a liebig makes a real shitty rc..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to Beginners Questions