Not sure if this belongs here or recipe development

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Not sure if this belongs here or recipe development

Postby daxter4034 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:26 am

I'm still super new of course but i want to make a "fruity rum" more for tiki cocktails and basic soft drink mixes (not harcore enough for straight sipping just yet) and this is how i've generally theorised it in my head.

i'm currently doing 5 gens of macrum on my 3rd atm in 25l batches, and because winter is slowly approaching i was going to have about 10l of the final gen of dunder sit with bananas, pineapple, lychees and passionfruits. I don't want to infuse when stilling as i still want it to be a rum first but i'd like light notes of these fruits still there but not super intense and let it sit over the winter and ready for spring/summer when its hotter than i like but good for rum. Basically the recipe will be made to macrums specifics but i'll use specific rum distillers yeast, 5.2 ph stabiliser so i can use more dunder in the wash and when the final spirit is sitting i'll age it as well as put cinnamon sticks and maybe a vanilla pod not sure yet. i know that in the end i wont know it until i try it but will this be too much flavour or possibly the opposite? i'm excited to test it but just wanted second opinions.

i''m open to suggestions and criticisms the recipes probably a little all over the shop.
daxter4034

equipment: Air still want to build a pot still or buy one

Re: Not sure if this belongs here or recipe development

Postby Tesla101 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Hey daxter, I'm not much of a rum drinker. But it sounds like you should just experiment and see what happens.

Let is know how it turns out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:39 pm

Rum mixed with fruit seldom ends well. Do hot ferments with bakers yeast 36-41c do generation and get a dunder pit happening. It aint a rum mixed with fruit but has tropical and dried fruit flavours. Push way past 5 gens.
Tried all sorts stuff but like no gens hot ferment rum best. Rum and raisen flavours...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby daxter4034 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:44 am

Thank you both for the the help looks like i'm going to do quite a few generations and see how far i can push it
daxter4034

equipment: Air still want to build a pot still or buy one

Return to Beginners Questions