Rum Chat

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Chat

Postby scythe » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:11 pm

That sounds sketchy.
Have you tried letting it settle for a few mins after it foams up.
Have heard some others do this for all grain but may not work for rum not sure.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Beerswimmer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:41 am

Br00ksy wrote:https://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/2/5/rum-super-geekdom.html

Stalked the last 10 pages of this thread and read the above and im curious if theres a yeast out there that can withstand really low pH. Thus :-B fast tracking the bonding of alcohols produced by the yeast with acids to form esters
Is that what specialty rum yeasts do best?
Just be more resilient against acids?

Belle Saison and WY3711 handle low PH just fine. Look for brewers yeasts used in sour beers.
Beerswimmer

equipment: Pot only!!

Postby Br00ksy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:53 pm

:text-thankyoublue:
Ill have to check those puppies out
Br00ksy

equipment: "Foresight" Mac 4 SSG 50lt Keg boiler 2x 2400W elements
T500 with a basic pot still head

Postby Beerswimmer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:22 am

Stripping the first of 4 washes made of 30% molasses 70% water with bread yeast. I also sprinkled in some epsom salt and have a sack of seashells in each fermenter. Looking to refill my 5 gallon French oak barrel for a year.
Last edited by Beerswimmer on Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beerswimmer

Postby Beerswimmer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:49 pm

Stripped the 2nd wash today and got the 4th going. I'm trying something new to me. Usually I just mix all the low wines and run them, now with my thumper I have taken the first half of the strips into one carboy and the second half with the tails into the second. I'll be putting the first halves into the thumper for the spirit run hoping to get a better product. I also have some 2 year old dunder that's possibly going into the boiler but not sure where to use it?
Beerswimmer

Postby Beerswimmer » Sat May 02, 2020 3:43 am

Finally got the chance to strip #3, 4 will be tomorrow :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Beerswimmer

Postby Br00ksy » Sat May 02, 2020 10:46 am

Whats it smell like m8? :smile:
Br00ksy

Postby Beerswimmer » Sun May 03, 2020 5:08 am

Br00ksy wrote:Whats it smell like m8? :smile:

Like banana bread with spices! Had a "little" puke today on strip 4 of 4, my collection carboy is black like Coke or an Espresso :)) Oh well, more flavor! Hopefully get to the spirit run Tuesday, make cuts and fill my barrel on Thursday.
Last edited by Beerswimmer on Sun May 03, 2020 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beerswimmer

Postby Br00ksy » Sun May 03, 2020 10:18 am

That sounds delicious
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Br00ksy

Postby CH3CH2OH » Fri May 08, 2020 2:27 pm

I have always been pretty tight on my cuts with my spirit runs, rum included. Lately I have been wondering about going a little deeper into the tails jars to "enhance" the flavor profile.

My process is a strip run through a pot configuration then spirit run on a 4 plate

I historically do not keep anything in the cut jars after the abv off the parrot starts to drop.

I would love to know what others are doing.

How deep do you guys go into your tails?
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby bluc » Fri May 08, 2020 2:47 pm

No tails for me or esters from late heads. I reakon its pretty bland off the still but develops awesome flavours in the barrel/demijohn..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Beerswimmer » Sat May 09, 2020 5:51 am

No tails, they never go away. It'll always taste tailsy. You can go past the nasty tails into the sweetwater though. Use it for proofing down. I'll only use a little bit of the last late heads jar if it's going into a barrel where they will eventually go away.
Beerswimmer

Postby Sam. » Sat May 09, 2020 8:06 am

Yeah if your going to age on oak for a long time then you can get away with a bit more but if you go too wide it will never get “good” and do you want to risk that?

Also this is one of the magic parts of aged distilled spirits, every batch every location every still every cut etc will be slightly different, it’s up to the distiller to make the call :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby CH3CH2OH » Sat May 09, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks for the comments!
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 09, 2020 11:37 am

CH3CH2OH wrote: ... My process is a strip run through a pot configuration then spirit run on a 4 plate...

On brown spirits I used to do that, but it has been pointed out that if running a plated column, you're loosing too much of the 'good' stuff and that I would be better off doing a single run over 4 plates (my setup)... I am yet to do this as my experiment in rum has ground to a halt (lack of experience and "good quality" molasses), but I am more keen on making Whisky anyway...

So looking to mash malted Barley and do the whole AG thing to learn the process and then do single runs on my plated column.

Beerswimmer wrote:...You can go past the nasty tails into the sweetwater though...

This 'Sweet-water' has me very intrigued. I am yet to find it! is there a process or is it deep-deep-deep in the tails?!? :wtf: aaaaand, is it only in Rum or in all brown spirits?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby RC Al » Sat May 09, 2020 1:35 pm

All brown spirits ezi, the sweet water is -right- at the end below 10 off the still, next run, just keep going and keep making cuts even when you hit zero, just starting down this road myself with my sugar head corn mashes. The cardboard tails taste dose disappear down that low and your left pumping out sweet tasting "water" - next run i do, im going to see how much sweetwater can actually come out of a wash, I've only collected a few litres from a run at most so far and only used it sparingly. I have a run sitting in cut jars right now, I will have a more serious attempt at a blend with it this week, but i dont think i ran low enough (late night finish, as you do...), wash is still sitting in the boiler though...
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby EziTasting » Sat May 09, 2020 2:05 pm

Cheers RC,
I will have a look at that next time.

I have a single run TS FFV in cut jars sitting in my outside drinks fridge... son has asked a couple of times now if he can have some for a catchup with his mates... :)) "No, Son, this isn't ready for your guys yet!"

I have a feints & Low Wines run and Rum Low Wines (and ancient FV) run to go ... but Im getting ready to do a Barley AG very soon, now that our summer temps are returning to the normal spectrum...
EziTasting

Re: Rum Chat. Sugar: Harness the power of the Atom

Postby Br00ksy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:41 am

This threads been quiet for a while so heres a top tip for adding a fruity spin to your rum. (only been tried for mango skins so far)

Use the cocktail method of oleo saccharRUM :teasing-neener:

Take your fruit minus the seed if its a stone fruit and cover the slices in a layer of sugar in a jar or container. Then lay down another layer of fruit flesh and skin. Repeat layering untill your vessel is full.
Repeat in other containers if you want to do a larger ferment (and if youre a mango fan you will, use the skins).

After a few days there should be a syrup collecting at the bottom of your vessel. This is beacuse sugar is hydrophillic (loves water and/or hydroxide groups) and your fruit is jam packed full of water and all the delicious flavours that come with the water in your fruit. Its pulling all that flavour into solution and concentrating it....
Drain off this syrup and put it in a seperate container.
Use the syrup, fruit and sugar stuck to the fruit.

Whats the point you may ask of this if we're dumping the fruit into the ferment anyway?

Well, it because the sugar can succ harder than the yeast can at an atomic level. Our holy and beloved yeast of all shapes and budding types are still limited to the evolutionary biology that gives them a evolutionary edges above their sister cells or cousin yeasts. However there are probably still a few compounds/oils/other stuff that make up a more textural mouthfeel component of mango specifically that even the raw power of dry sugar cant break down that yeast can and so its still good to throw the skins in.
It boils down to why not get the last 5%-.05% out of the skins your going to turf anyway? :geek:

Back to the power of dry, water loving, sugar... Its pure chemisty.
None of that tedious mucking about in microbe space. (Props of you recognise the hitchikers reference)
Basic strong atomic attraction can do all the work for you in getting the most important oils that provide flavour into solution and therefore small enough (i think this is how it works) to have the boiling point (if thats the right word) of the flavour compounds low enough that (at an atomic level) the chaotic heating when distilled lifts them up and they are not left behind in the wash. I, having done no extensive research at all and only a chemistry class at uni 3 years ago :whistle:, imagine that these important oils and flavour compounds realted to mango "flavour" have an oxygen or a hydroxide group attached to them which the sugar is attracted to and pulls into solution with what little water that it can bond to.... :think:

Ive only tried oleo saccrum with mango skins and it works amazing.
The end result after ageing at below 60% (ideally 58% the prefect wood sugar zone for a sweeter rum) is like smelling and tasting a perfectly ripe mango dipped in sugar syrup glaze or toffee if aged on toasted american oak from 5 star distilling.

I wonder what 20ml or less ish back sweetneed per 1000ml - 700ml bottle version with local molasses of this would taste like..... :think:

[this ferment is in progress] If you combine this method with leaving out the water in a standard rum wash and going 50/50 with long life mango nectar juice and 5 gen backset and backing off the molasses your likely to end up with an amazing authentically tasting mango rum.
None of that added flavouring syrup shit like dead mans fingers rum from Cornwall, England.
Theres no subtitute for real big bold oils from real fruit/grain in dark spirit.

Just like theres no substitute for really actually smoking barley with peat. If there was, the whole industry would be doing it.
Or at a more relevant level, making rum without molasses......... Its just fundamental to the spirit. Without molasses rum wouldnt be rum. :violin:

Any fake flavouring syrup will always taste like flavouring syrup even if the backing base rum/spirit is reasonably good. There wil always be gaps if you're starting from a synthetic methodology. The flavour of something is not the core of the flavour but all the things that happen around it :pray:

For mango a good way to recognise a syrup is to taste a mango vodka seltzer.... Thats a syrup and not a product using as much of the raw material as it can to give you a genuine flavour of mango.. But hey its basically a vodka soda so i guess i set my bar too high. :teasing-blah:

So if you try to shortcut by just replicating a level of sweetness and/or a parricular ester profile without using the raw material you're trying to replicate you're always going to fall short of the real macoy. :techie-typing:

Just like a musician who's always always good live will always be good on records regaurdless of the supporting band behind them. But somebody whos only good on records is not really a good artist, theyre just somebody with a good PR team....

[Sidebar micro rant... Theres so much bullshit that happens with rum that i wish there was a standard for rum globally. At least here in AUS we have a standard that rum has to be aged for 2 years on oak.... When it comes to syrup addition it really should be on the bottle in the spirit (pun not intended) of whats going on with american single malt... Transparency is cool!!!! :music-deathmetal:

Anyway,
I have applied this oleo saccharrum method for mango skins and 'hellloooooo there' is it good :dance:
SO good that im afraid to bring the remaining 1 and a bit litres out at family gatherings else it get decimated before it reaches its 1yr bithday.

I highly recommmend ageing below 60% to double down on the sweet candy flavours.
If you throw in some live dunder in a set aside stripping run, say 20%-50% ratio to the rest of the run (for me in a 50L boiler itd be 10-20L) or so, before you do your spirit run rum you could end up with a jamacian style mango rum! :happy-partydance:
Im at about the 8 month mark and it is the "nectar of the gods".

I highly highly highly recommmed if you can get your hands on 10kg or so of mangoes, and you have some 5 gen backset lying around collecting random microbes that you use the mango flesh and skins for a rum ferment.

Delicious stuff with lemonade even at only 5 months old in 4L glass jars
Its like a mango lollypop in a drink mixed with the slightest touch of the warm wondrous vanilla that american oak provides
Cheers Stillers :obscene-drinkingchug:
Br00ksy

Postby EziTasting » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:03 am

That’s very interesting info!

I’m not very good at making rum and this gives me some insights that might make a difference... but then, I don’t know my rum as much as some of the others here!

Just to clarify, you’re adding the skins AND the sugar syrup into the fermented!?! Or just the skins, and the syrup goes into the end product....?
EziTasting

Postby Br00ksy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:22 am

This is going into the fermenter and not backsweetneed into a rum.
Br00ksy

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development