Shotgun PC in a reflux column

Reflux still design and discussion

Shotgun PC in a reflux column

Postby Birdman85 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:18 pm

So I haven't really seen anything in the way of my idea floated about, but I'll run it by the brains trust and see if it could work.

I have my keg boiler pot still with shotty PC up and running. But I want to make some neutral (because it has its uses). Instead of having to get out my T500 (because I want to avoid using it if I can), is there a way I can make a reflux column, maybe with a slant plate and needle valve product outlet and a thermo port, just with my shotty on top with a 2inch cap with breather hole on top (interchangeable with a reducer for pot mode)?

Could this work? Obviously just until I get time to start an elusive Michael Buble'r
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Re: Shotgun PC in a reflux column

Postby bluc » Fri May 15, 2020 4:44 pm

:think: While overkill yes a shotgun on top would work same as coil. Just make a boka instead of winding a coil just put ferrule or easy flange on top and add a flange to your shotty and clamp shotty on top of boka. It will be vented by nature of the shotty. Waaaay overkill to knock back a 2" boka but will work.
Ccvm is an even simpilar reflux still..and switchs between reflux pot...
Last edited by bluc on Fri May 15, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RC Al » Fri May 15, 2020 5:35 pm

:text-+1: With the condenser you already have, a ccvm would be a fraction easier to construct (winding a coil vs soldering plates and valve port)- you just need a column, a short spool, a tee and and a coil. Jump up to 2 1/2 or 3 inch while your at it (50-100% more output) :happy-partydance:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Birdman85 » Fri May 15, 2020 9:19 pm

Righto... So by the sounds of it I can make a boka using my SG, or a CCVM. I'm planning on going down the plater route, but in the interim I want to stay away from the T500.

I'll have a look at some CCVM plans.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Return to Reflux Stills