Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:54 pm

bluc wrote:Chocko thats a very nice still you have there :handgestures-thumbupleft: gotta pull my finger out and polish mine up :oops:

Thanks bluc, it's not so shiny in some parts now, all I can say is don't use the high temp clear from the supa not so cheap, it's rubbish and discolours and becomes tacky with a little heat. White Knight clear high temp is excellent.

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby Bigtrev » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:04 pm

Im having trouble getting barley in my area at the moment. Can i put in extra wheat or corn, or am i wasting my time without barley?
Bigtrev

equipment: Pot still

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:16 am

You can but it will change the flavour, whether that bothers you or not?
You could try rye for a Tennessee whiskey. Just remember rye needs time on oak to mellow.

If it's say 3rd generation you may get away with just leaving the barley out?

Good luck
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Bigtrev » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:12 am

What flavour difference does the barley make? Could i do 1st generation with corn and wheat and add barley in subsequent generations.
Bigtrev

Postby Beerswimmer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:02 am

Just lit the fire on a spirit run of 3 gens of this. Only difference was I mashed Vienna malt, the backset from the strips smelled like caramel candy! I added 4 gallons of it to the thumper.
Beerswimmer

equipment: Pot only!!

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:34 pm

Hi fellas and however you identify, I'm on my 4th gen of this and loving what I'm getting out of it so far, I just have a question on the speed of the ferment.

OP says 3-4 days, but mine have been probably 5 days gen 1 and getting progressively longer. The ferment itself appears to bolt along nicely but just drags out, gen 4 will be 7 days tomorrow? Temp has been good, never under about 22c, SG is showing about .995 and airlock is pushing a bubble about every 8 seconds.

Is it possible I've not been taking enough grains after siphoning and/or replacing with too many, grain bed looks to be about 7ltrs (standard 30ltr fermenter). As I said the yeast seems to be healthy and doing it's job just fine. I'm getting expected yields but my last wash was a bit cloudier than usual, maybe I'm just moving too quick and it's just the way it is. Original grains and replacements to date are 50% cracked maize, 25% wheat and 25% malted barley. pH has been good from day one, between about 3.9 - 4.4

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby RC Al » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:46 pm

What yeast?

If you started in winter/spring I can only speculate that as your yeast needs some time to adjust/evolve to the higher average temps that most of us have been getting, you only mentioned min temps...

Have you added more vitamin tab at all? swapping grain dosent add any of those goodies back
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:37 pm

RC Al wrote:What yeast? Lowans bakers yeast

If you started in winter/spring I can only speculate that as your yeast needs some time to adjust/evolve to the higher average temps that most of us have been getting, you only mentioned min temps... Yep started for to five weeks ago while it was still 'coolish' I guess. We've had some decent temps here especially over the last week

Have you added more vitamin tab at all? swapping grain dosent add any of those goodies back
Yes I've been adding a MV tab each generation, is this correct or leave it out after gen 01?

Cheers,

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby RC Al » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:59 pm

1 Tablet is fine, maybe wasting it a bit

You may need to let it settle for a bit longer, much of the cloudiness is yeast

How are you aerating it? Boiled water and backset have very low oxygen levels. Before adding the dunder, I usually give my generational mashes some warm water and then a good stir, ensuring that all of it gets unstuck from the bottom. This usually makes the used grain husks float up more as it's swirling aroud, I then use a kitchen sieve to grab out however much grain I want to swap out. I usually add a tiny amount of sugar and wait an hour or so. This can be done while you're boiling up if your space suits - giving the beasties ample time to multiply before adding the bulk of the sugar and dunder from the run.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Chocko6969 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:55 pm

RC Al wrote:1 Tablet is fine, maybe wasting it a bit

You may need to let it settle for a bit longer, much of the cloudiness is yeast

How are you aerating it? Boiled water and backset have very low oxygen levels. Before adding the dunder, I usually give my generational mashes some warm water and then a good stir, ensuring that all of it gets unstuck from the bottom. This usually makes the used grain husks float up more as it's swirling aroud, I then use a kitchen sieve to grab out however much grain I want to swap out. I usually add a tiny amount of sugar and wait an hour or so. This can be done while you're boiling up if your space suits - giving the beasties ample time to multiply before adding the bulk of the sugar and dunder from the run.

Thanks Al, but all of what you said sounds very similar to what I'm doing, and I think it's simply a matter of time and patience on my part!

Cheers,

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby Bigtrev » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:10 pm

I have finished 5 generations using this recipe. I've got around 30 litres of 50% from my stripping runs. This will be the first time doing a spirit run. Should i dilute this or run at 50%. Using a 50 litre pot still with an electric element. how many litres of hearts should i expect to get and what size containers to make cuts. Thankyou any advice appreciated.
Bigtrev

Postby bluc » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:42 pm

Never put above 40% in your still.
Fair while since I used a pot think i used to keep
1.8-2l 65% per 5l low wines at 40% that was with rum.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:01 pm

Bigtrev wrote:I have finished 5 generations using this recipe. I've got around 30 litres of 50% from my stripping runs. This will be the first time doing a spirit run. Should i dilute this or run at 50%. Using a 50 litre pot still with an electric element. how many litres of hearts should i expect to get and what size containers to make cuts. Thankyou any advice appreciated.

I'd probably use 300 to 400 mL cuts, and the jars either side of hearts that don't make it in the final hearts cut can be kept for a feints run later.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Bigtrev » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:39 pm

So i ran it last night and got around 18litres of 75%. I hit tails at 65% and stopped distilling. The product left over in the still is around 10-12%. Should i discard this or keep it for a feints run in the future.
Bigtrev

Postby Birdman85 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:47 pm

Just a stupid question for a Saturday.

The recipe calls for the grains in Litre amounts. Is that just filling a liquid measuring glass to the litre line or is there some mass to volume ratio thing for it?
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:13 pm

Yep just fill to litre line in measuring jug :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Birdman85 » Sun May 10, 2020 9:18 pm

Just ran my first gen. Had it sitting a bit long and was worried it might sour or something but it came off a treat. Didn't read the instructions properly and was expecting 8-9 litres. Dipped a finger at 4L and noticed we were really low in the alco levels so I pulled her up shortly after at about 4.5L.

Got the 2nd gen on now, just waiting for her to come to life. Might need to throw the heat belt around it tomorrow.
Birdman85

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby Lesgold » Mon May 11, 2020 7:17 am

Run it down to about 20% abv. Don’t want to waste any of the good stuff.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby Birdman85 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:00 pm

Just washed out my 2nd gen. All the way down to 20% I got 4.5L.

Used the slops to melt the sugar and got 2 batches on the go now. The fresh batch started bubbling away within seconds.

Dont know if I'm reading it right but this is the hydrometer readings.
Snapchat-62933074.jpg

Snapchat-1246243305.jpg

Do these readings look right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Birdman85

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby dans.brew » Sun May 24, 2020 6:40 pm

Look pretty good to me... about what i used to get anyway.
Ideally you don't want floaties in your sample when trying to get an accurate gravity reading.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development