All Mollases Rum (no sugar added)

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: All Mollases Rum (no sugar added)

Postby dans.brew » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:07 am

Bobsyauncle wrote:
dans.brew wrote:Yeah im hoping thats the case. :dance:
My previous rum (with sugar) last summer was sorta lacking a bit of ruminess.. it is getting better with age on oak as you'd expect, but id love to get a bit more body in there from the start.
If the smell in the shed is anything to go by she'll be the goods!

Hey mate, how did your run go?

Yeah first Gen went great... got a couple litres on oak. Second Gen took off like a bullet too but stalled after a few days. Put in shelgrit and a bit of bi carb soda to raise a low ph. Just couldn't get it going again and cracked it, thought it may of got some sort of infection. It had fermented somewhat so ran it thru and stripped what i could.
The dunder went back in a sterilized fermenter with a bit of sugar to bump up the SG.
I got some lime to adjust ph this time and then pitched a little bit of new yeast just to see if it would crank up. Yeasties weren't really happy so i took a different approach.
Watered down a little bit of wash in a glass jug so it was pretty weak. Pitched yeast and of it went. Left it a couple hours and then added a little more straight wash. Went quiet for a start and then took off again after an hour or so. Keep repeating this process until it was closer to straight wash and in she all went.
Was slow again at start, but started and is still slowly bubbling away after a few days now, so fingers crossed.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby dans.brew » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:29 pm

Just a bit of an update on my rum. The last ferment still ended up stalling and i ran it through and got what i could get.
Re ran all my low wines with some feints from a while back and did a spirit run. I actually threw in 6 ltrs of dunder pit too.
I had my first taste test this evening and initially i was a bit dubious as it has a very unique smell to it. :think:
Taste wise though im very happy for a young rum of the still. Can't taste the unique smell at all. Perhaps its just from the added dunder pit. Cant wait to taste after a year or so.
dans.brew

Postby Georgio » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:37 am

Thanks for the update dans.brew.

I ran an all molasses wash myself. Wash stalled at 1.060. I noticed the wash had very salty and bitter taste.

Ran it through the column, 4 plates. It tastes young but very fruity (tropical). I have noticed that mine too has a unique smell. Its an odd smell that I cant put my finger on. I have a stainless aerator and ran it through the spirit for a few days. This has improved the smell but it is still there.

How are you planning on aging it?

Cheers,
G.
Georgio

equipment: 50l keg boiler.
4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler
95L mash tun with 300 micron grain basket
250kg Winch for grain basket

Postby dans.brew » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:02 pm

Georgio wrote:I ran an all molasses wash myself. Wash stalled at 1.060. I noticed the wash had very salty and bitter taste.

How are you planning on aging it?

Cheers,
G.

Salty and bitter tasting is exactly what mine tasted like. I was really hoping it didn't effect the taste, so far its alright.
The rum is ageing on raw American white oak.. for starters anyway. Might put a bit of french oak in at some stage. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

Postby MartinCash » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:45 am

Georgio wrote:Thanks for the update dans.brew.
Wash stalled at 1.060. I noticed the wash had very salty and bitter taste.

I don't think it stalled at all. That seems to be pretty much as expected for all-molasses. Molasses has a huge amount of unfermentable sugars in it. If it didn't taste sweet, I reckon it had chewed through all the fermentables. I never bother with a hydrometer on rum washes after the first couple of goes with a new recipe, just to get a feel of ABV of the finished wash.
MartinCash

equipment: 50L Boiler, copper pot still, copper 100mm modular CCVM column.

Postby Bobsyauncle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:09 pm

Another strip run today, only narrowly stopped the bastard from puking . Last one before the big spirit run. :happy-partydance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bobsyauncle

equipment: 4 plate 4" bubbler with packed section
Copper T500

Postby Bobsyauncle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Martin,
Hard to say though without checking ph , both mine on 3rd gen still finished at 1020. Both with 10% dunder.

Obviously everyone has different suppliers so that makes it hard to compare.
Bobsyauncle

equipment: 4 plate 4" bubbler with packed section
Copper T500

Postby MartinCash » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:35 pm

Yeah, I've been using mostly the Fremantle Stockfeeds stuff in 25 Kg buckets. I'd think the lighter Bundaberg stuff might finish quite a bit drier, but I haven't tried it.

BTW, I though Fremantle Stockfeeds went bust a while ago but most of our local Tassie rural suppliers still stock it. Did someone buy out the business and continue producing it or is this ancient stock that's still making its way along the system? And how long would it keep for and still be OK for a rum?
MartinCash

equipment: 50L Boiler, copper pot still, copper 100mm modular CCVM column.

Postby RC Al » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:33 pm

It will be fine, just check the packed on date, if there is a use by, it would be subjective to the intended use, the bundy stuff is "food grade" so they would have a much shorter use by date on it that a feed grade one. From the web:
'Sealed, unopened bottles of molasses will keep for 10 years in the pantry and maybe more if kept in the refrigerator. Opened bottles of molasses should keep for 1 to 5 years if stored properly and kept sealed after every use"
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Previous

Return to Recipe Development