Hi from the COVID Capital

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from the COVID Capital

Postby doogie » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Hi Everyone
Just started my journey last week with the purchase of a T500, first wash is just about ready. Looking forward to learning heaps on here as I experiment with different flavours to perfect my gin.

A quick question, I called the ATO about a licence and was basically told that i need a business before I could get one, this is contrary to what I had read before deciding to purchase the still, is this really the case for hobbyists?

Thanks again

doogie
doogie

equipment: T500 with stainless steel column for neutral and homemade 2” copper column and Liebig condenser.

Re: Hi from the COVID Capital

Postby Sam. » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:58 pm

Welcome mate, I really hope you didn't give them your name or address.

It is illegal to own a still over 5L capacity and it is illegal to distill a single drop of alcohol from any size still.

Having said that, the rule around here is "don't sell and don't tell" and you will stay under the radar.

If your looking for a license because you want to go commercial you are a long way off if you are just starting playing with distillation.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Tesla101 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 pm

Welcome Dr Houser :)

First tip, don't believe pretty much anything you read on a HBS website - their main aim is to get you to give them your money. Of course they'll put a disclaimer up, because they have to. As silly as the laws are around distilling in this country, it ain't the same as beer or wine and the HBSs know that a lot of people don't know that.

Also, for gin, you're going to need a pot still - with some type of power controller.

Enjoy the journey :)
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby doogie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:21 am

Sam. wrote:Welcome mate, I really hope you didn't give them your name or address.

It is illegal to own a still over 5L capacity and it is illegal to distill a single drop of alcohol from any size still.

Having said that, the rule around here is "don't sell and don't tell" and you will stay under the radar.

If your looking for a license because you want to go commercial you are a long way off if you are just starting playing with distillation.

Thanks Sam, no, no details just a general enquiry. I had read that it was pretty easy to get a licence and it was just about 'paying the tax' and I had no issue with paying tax on what I made but obviously this is wrong. No intention to sell just experiment for personal use.

Thanks

Doogie
doogie

equipment: T500 with stainless steel column for neutral and homemade 2” copper column and Liebig condenser.

Postby doogie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:24 am

Tesla101 wrote:Welcome Dr Houser :)

First tip, don't believe pretty much anything you read on a HBS website - their main aim is to get you to give them your money. Of course they'll put a disclaimer up, because they have to. As silly as the laws are around distilling in this country, it ain't the same as beer or wine and the HBSs know that a lot of people don't know that.

Also, for gin, you're going to need a pot still - with some type of power controller.

Enjoy the journey :)

Thanks Tesla

I quickly realised that the t500 won't do the job bur it's better then steeping botanicals in a bottle of vodka overnight for starters. I'll end up getting the alembic dome when I come up with a bit more cash.

Doogie
doogie

Postby Tesla101 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:28 am

doogie, the alembic pot dome is OK but over-priced. For about the same price you can get the 2" pot still from FSD as well as the T500 lid adapter. It's a much better option than the alembic dome from a HBS and since it's modular you can still use it if you update from the T500 later. Check it out here: https://www.5stardistilling.com/product/2-pot-still/

A power controller is only about $45 from FSD as well.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby doogie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:50 pm

Tesla101 wrote:doogie, the alembic pot dome is OK but over-priced. For about the same price you can get the 2" pot still from FSD as well as the T500 lid adapter. It's a much better option than the alembic dome from a HBS and since it's modular you can still use it if you update from the T500 later. Check it out here: https://www.5stardistilling.com/product/2-pot-still/

A power controller is only about $45 from FSD as well.

Thanks for the heads up Tesla :handgestures-thumbupleft:
doogie

Postby Wellsy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:42 pm

Hello Doogie
I must have been to the same website as you mate as it said you needed a licence. Also said you had to pay the duty on any booze you made but the good news was you could claim 60% of what you paid back each year. I opted for the 100% back option of not telling them lol.
Stay safe mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Welcome Centre