Smokey Peat Whiskey

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Smokey Peat Whiskey

Postby Gus » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:08 pm

Hi All,
I am a new member to the forum and relatively new to Whiskey distilling so all feedback and info gratefully received.
I am searching for guidance on detailed instructions on how to reproducing a taste like Smokehead or Octimore Whiskey. I have a Grainfather with all the gear and have tried using Gladfields Mild Smoked Malted Barley but that is still not near what I am after. In fact I am not even able to produce something that tastes like whiskey. I know my heavy smoke peat preference is not something many would be into but would be happy for advise to get me to stage one of a basic good Whiskey taste and I will do the development from there.
Thanks. Gus.
Gus

equipment: Distil King T500

Re: Smokey Peat Whiskey

Postby The Stig » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:14 pm

Since this is your first post I moved it here to the welcome centre.
Welcome to the forum
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby dans.brew » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Welcome to the forum Gus. :greetings-waveyellow:
Perhaps give us a bit of a run down on your process of making your whiskey and we may be able to give some helpful pointers to help you along.
As far as peated whiskey... i havent really got to far into it other than using peat reek in some of mine. You can make it stronger or lighter in your whiskey easily.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Professor Green » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:08 pm

Welcome to AD Gus.

There are a number of whiskey makers here, so hopefully someone will be able to help you out with your questions. Posting details of your process as dans.brew suggested will certainly assist anyone in doing so.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Gus » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:37 pm

Hi Thank you for responding. Basically all I have done so far is run a few batches on the T500 using standard copper condenser following exactly the manufactures instructions then tried adding a few different whiskey essences and flavours. The temperature was watched and maintained to remain between 50C and 65C. The majority of the time it hovered at 58C. I removed the heads and tails and the hearts were filtered through one of those small carbon cartridge draining pots. The result was a taste that was very ethanol smelling and quite a headache generating after taste. Not very pleasant. Can drown it with Butterscotch or Choc flavouring but not good. A friend with a still told me to make a filter from PVC and fill it with Activated carbon which I have done now and it greatly improved the taste by removing the Ethanol flavour. I am now experimenting with other peoples whiskey recipes but nothing even tastes like whiskey to me.
I then ran the Grainfarther on Gladfields Med Smoked Barley grain. I have only done one run on that and goofed with the process using the chiller. I didn't understand the instruction what the chilling process is supposed to do other that speed up the chilling time. Instead I left it overnight to cool and then ran the wash the next day with a striping run but haven't yet put it through a spirit run. A taste of that so far is very grainy but zero smoke flavour. Tomorrow I am going to put a T500 wash down and maybe do another Grain one then I should have enough to put through the grain one through a spirit run.
I have oak spirals and all the flavours money can buy but not very impressed so far with anything other than the Butterscotch Schnapp's etc. I also have a 10lt white oak new keg but haven't got anything close enough to warrant putting in it.
Open to all critics and advise. I really want to learn how to do this well, so appreciate your feedback.
Regards Gus.
Gus

Postby dans.brew » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:21 pm

What recipe are you using for your neutral there Gus?
If your getting a headache making aftertaste in your hearts its more than likely you've got heads mixed in. Pure hearts should be very smooth and clean without the bite of heads.
Would suggest you don't use pvc for your carbon filter... alcohol shouldn't come into contact with plastics.
For making a genuine whiskey from grain it needs to be run through a pot/ plated still in order to retain full flavour, a T500 (reflux still) will remove too much flavour and will be why you arent getting any smokey flavour coming across. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

Postby Wellsy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:14 am

Hello Gus
Not sure if this will help or not as I don’t even own a still let alone have experience.
If you look in the newbie section mate there is a topic on running a T500 still that might throw up a few hints. There is also a topic called so you brought a still from a HBS ( home brew shop) that might help.

From what I have read the T500 is a great reflux still but as with all reflux stills they tend to strip away the base flavours. You might have to aim for a smooth drinkable spirit that you can then add the flavours too, which will need to be aged in wood if that is the flavour you are after.

As for the headaches are you diluting what you are tasting ? Drinking it at high abv makes tasting very difficult I believe. Or are you spitting it out ?

Apologies if I am telling you how to suck eggs mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:22 am

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=10483

If I got it correct above is one of the links, I will put the other below if this one works.

On a tablet so limited options for cutting and pasting, well that’s my excuse anyway lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:23 am

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=11917

Here is the other, mate.
Wellsy

Postby scythe » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:29 am

Forget following the manufactures instructions.
Follow the ones you find in this forum if you want quality drinks.
You mentioned the names of the fractions but did you do cuts or just combined them all?
Don't bother drinking turbo washes, I've not heard a positive report for them... ever.
Use one from the tried and proven section of this forum.

Your better off running the still by output rate than condenser water temp, drip-drip-dribble is what you are after.

But the t500 is not the still for whisk(e)y.
Make a pot still to attach to your current boiler lid and I think you'll be happier.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Gus » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:38 pm

HI Gents,
Thank you for your great assistance and never be concerned about saying something that I may know because this is all new to me. Happy to take all advice.
I forgot to mention that I have a Grainfarther with the copper alembic pot which is what I put the Gladfields smoked Barley through. I really want the true taste of whiskey so was of the belief the Grainfarther should with Alembic pot should be able to do just that. I am going to have a read of the posts you mentioned and give that a try. Also I think you are right about the fore shots. I did do the cuts in 200ml lots and then did a taste and smell test of each but to be truthful a waste of time when I have no idea what good should smell like. The carbon filter did make a huge difference to the T500 but alcohol but not going to put the Grainfarther grain run through it because I read it will remove the grain taste, like you mentioned. I still have 2lts of the grain from the stripping run approx. 50% ABV so was going to do a second grain batch then mix the two on a spirit run and see how that goes.

The Grainfarther instructions I have found are also a bit vague so could do with a step by step detailed instructions if anyone has documented their process please.

Thank you all very much.
Regards,Gus
Gus

Postby dans.brew » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:12 pm

Gus wrote:HI Gents,
I did do the cuts in 200ml lots and then did a taste and smell test of each but to be truthful a waste of time when I have no idea what good should smell like.

Definitely have a look at Kiwistillers Guide to Cuts It will definately help you with knowing what to look for and how the different cuts of a run come through the still. To get that clean, genuine whiskey your looking for without the burn, doing cuts is a big part on the road to getting there. It is something that takes practice, but is very achievable. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

Postby Gus » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:36 am

Hi, I had a read of both the post links and very helpful thank you. I will change the plastic filter set up and do the cuts differently this time as see if that improves the taste. I will come back in a few days after that happens.
Gus

Return to Welcome Centre