TFFV back to back stripping run

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

TFFV back to back stripping run

Postby Ned » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:46 pm

Just some advice please.
I usuallly only do a stripping run on 43 litres of TTFV into the 50 litre boiler on the 4" Neutraliser
Just wonder what is the best attack for doing 75 litres at a time as I have 75 litres currently fermenting.
I would like to do back to back, so not sure of the logistics. Do I let everything completely cool or just close down after the run, empty the boiler and refill.
Any help would be appreciated Thanks
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Re: TFFV back to back stripping run

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:39 pm

What do you do with the waste from the boiler as if put down the drain not good to put hot liquids in drains as could cause problems if have enough and if using a hose to drain may not like the heat.
wynnum1

Postby RC Al » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:23 pm

Outside if the drain issue (I pick some weeds to kill), run as soon and hot as you can safely handle things, conserve the energy used to heat everything

If you have a wort chiller coil (? I seem to recollect you being big into AG) consider using it to preheat the next wash with the condenser output - reduce the flow to the pc and (carefully) run it near the edge of overpowering for a nice hot output for the coil

A spare keg or empty fermenters hold hot dunder well too - gets a good cleaning too
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Amberale » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:20 pm

I usually give the heat elements 5-10 minutes to cool and then drain through a HD 1” garden hose and then 20mm clear-reinforced hose to waste by gravity out the side of the shed.
The reverse heating coil of copper pipe sounds like a great idea especially this time of year.
Just run the waste through a coil in the fresh low wines and then out.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby Ned » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:10 pm

RC Al wrote:Outside if the drain issue (I pick some weeds to kill), run as soon and hot as you can safely handle things, conserve the energy used to heat everything

If you have a wort chiller coil (? I seem to recollect you being big into AG) consider using it to preheat the next wash with the condenser output - reduce the flow to the pc and (carefully) run it near the edge of overpowering for a nice hot output for the coil

A spare keg or empty fermenters hold hot dunder well too - gets a good cleaning too

Great memory, unfortunately its not an imersion chiller its a counter flow chiller, but food for thought.
Its a shame top waste all that energy.

Cheers
Ned

Postby Ned » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:12 pm

wynnum1 wrote:What do you do with the waste from the boiler as if put down the drain not good to put hot liquids in drains as could cause problems if have enough and if using a hose to drain may not like the heat.

Not down the drain. Put into buckts and when cool, pour onto the lawn.
Has not done it any harm.
I think somementioned use it as a weed killer, when hot. Great Idea
Ned

Postby Ned » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:14 pm

Amberale wrote:I usually give the heat elements 5-10 minutes to cool and then drain through a HD 1” garden hose and then 20mm clear-reinforced hose to waste by gravity out the side of the shed.
The reverse heating coil of copper pipe sounds like a great idea especially this time of year.
Just run the waste through a coil in the fresh low wines and then out.

Yes great idea by RC Al
Last edited by Ned on Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ned

Postby RC Al » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:07 pm

Ned wrote:Great memory, unfortunately its not an imersion chiller its a counter flow chiller, but food for thought.

Nah, you Auto-malter is your avatar pic, its a pretty cool machine and hard to forget
Ned wrote:Yes great idea by RC Al

Certainly not my idea, 100% stolen from elsewhere lols
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby scythe » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:13 am

I think it might have been from the fuck-up thread.
I seem to remember one member pouring hot dunder out near their fence post and it killed the grass.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Ned » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:40 am

RC Al wrote:
Ned wrote:Great memory, unfortunately its not an imersion chiller its a counter flow chiller, but food for thought.

Nah, you Auto-malter is your avatar pic, its a pretty cool machine and hard to forget
Ned wrote:Yes great idea by RC Al

Certainly not my idea, 100% stolen from elsewhere lols

Thanks. Thats the Mark II, just update with a variable speed 12volt motor. (Less pulleys gone from 4 to 2) I can now also wash out the drum and drain it
Ned

Postby Ned » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:44 am

scythe wrote:I think it might have been from the fuck-up thread.
I seem to remember one member pouring hot dunder out near their fence post and it killed the grass.

I keep that in mind when I want to poison some grass, good excuse to distill :text-lol:
If I get asked what are you doing mate ? I say making some dunder to poison my grass :text-lol: :text-lol:
Ned

Postby Wellsy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:24 pm

Ned I would be less specific mate surely “gardening” would be enough to get you a day pass
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Ned » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:15 pm

:text-+1:
Wellsy wrote:Ned I would be less specific mate surely “gardening” would be enough to get you a day pass
Ned

Return to Plated Column Stills