Hi from Sydney

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Sydney

Postby Monkey Handler » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:17 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster.
From Sydney, first ventured into the realm of making alcohol when I was knee high to a grasshopper helping my parents make wine (aka labour for the tasks). I took the plunge this year and bought a copper T500 (I've been wantingto get into stilling for quite a while), as I got over paying $75/bottle for 500mL of neutral to make liqueurs etc.
I first started off with limoncello (lemon tree, plus a few bottles of said neutral spirit lying around, so figured I'd use them), but have made a fair few different things since (hazelnut liqueur, amaro/bitters, sea buckthorn liqueur, pink peppr based berry liqueur, etc) and plan on continuously coming up with new/more ideas.
Also have all the parts I need to make a 2" pot still with a shotgun PC (I hope. Eventually bigger as well, maybe.) to make use of the T500 boiler for flavoured spirits and a father-in-law who's a retired boilermaker with mechanical plumbing and pressure welding background who's quite keen to help. Biggest issue, huge lack of time (work 6-7 days a week) and knowledge/experience, which'll be overcome, eventually.
One day, hope to maybe do it for a living, but, see where the funny path of life takes things.

Sorry for the long winded post, but, there's my into :greetings-waveyellow:
Hi
Monkey Handler

equipment: T500 copper reflux. 2" Pelican Pot, 4" 5 plate glasser, 500mm packed section with all copper goodies.
30L and 58L keg boiler

Re: Hi from Sydney

Postby Wellsy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:39 pm

Welcome Monkey
I am sure there are people happy to share their experience.
You might need to take some time off to enjoy using your new creation
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby dans.brew » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:08 pm

Welcome Monkey!
A trusty 2" pot still should make you some very tasty brown spirits. Time restraints can be a bit of a problem at times, but if you can try and work around them its worth it.
Having a retired boilermaker in the family will def come in handy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:19 pm

Hi monkey welcome to the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Professor Green » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:33 pm