Hi from Melbourne

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Melbourne

Postby Bjohnman » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:58 pm

Hi Everyone? :greetings-waveyellow:

Been on the forum for a few months now thought it was time to say hi. I have been distilling for a few months on a small 5 litre copper pot still which I have been making gin and rum. Im currently building a electric keg boiler and have a 5 star 4 inch modular still on the way. Took me a while to decide what I wanted but I new I would end up wanting to add a column so went straight to the 4 inch modular. Enjoying making the gin and rum at the moment but can’t wait to start making some whisky as well. I have been working in bars for 15 years now so super excited to make my own spirits.
Bjohnman

equipment: 5 litre Alembic Pot Still
FSD 4 inch Modulat pot still with keg boiler

Re: Hi from Melbourne

Postby dans.brew » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:35 pm

Welcome aboard mate! :greetings-waveyellow:
Good choice on the 4" modular setup. Leaves many doors open for additions down the track. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Wellsy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:04 am

Welcome Bjohnman
That was the exact same reason I choose the fsd 4”, gives me lots of future options.
Good luck with it mate and I hope you are surviving the lock down and staying safe
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Bjohnman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:59 pm

Thanks guys.
My new still arrived today. Can’t wait to get started :-D
Bjohnman

Postby hgwells » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:43 pm

Welcome Bjohnman,

Love to hear how you go with your new setup.

Cheers

HG
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby Bjohnman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:04 pm

Thanks HG. Looks like I have to wait 2+ weeks for power controllers to come back in stock. But I’m very close to nailing my own gin recipe. So I will have another go at that this week on the 5 litre still.

Thanks,
Brad
Bjohnman

Postby Wellsy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:16 am

Morning Bjohnman
If you are doing stripping runs don’t forget you won’t need the power controller for those. So it might be an option to do a couple of them while the power controller is being built.
Just an option if like me you have no patience
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby hgwells » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:09 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bjohnman wrote:Thanks HG. Looks like I have to wait 2+ weeks for power controllers to come back in stock. But I’m very close to nailing my own gin recipe. So I will have another go at that this week on the 5 litre still.

Thanks,
Brad
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby Bjohnman » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Wellsy wrote:Morning Bjohnman
If you are doing stripping runs don’t forget you won’t need the power controller for those. So it might be an option to do a couple of them while the power controller is being built.
Just an option if like me you have no patience

Thanks Wellsy. That sounds like plan to keep me busy while waiting for the power controller. Question how long does it take you to do a stripping run and spirit run with your 5ST 4 inch modular? Just trying to work out how much time I will roughly need. Thanks.
Bjohnman

Postby Wellsy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:30 am

Mine is still transit so I can’t answer.
I am hoping for delivery today or tomorrow but the tracking is not working on aus post as none of the updates seems to register. I box was checked in Queensland last Friday, the other was checked in Melbourne on Sunday so it won’t be far away.
The good news is kegLand we’re expecting heater belts in by today and they arrived last night so it looks like their expected arrival dates are pretty close.
I am sure someone here will be able to give you an answer mate.
Wellsy

Postby Bjohnman » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:51 pm

All good. I'm sure I will find out soon enough on how long it will take. :smile:
Bjohnman

Postby Wellsy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:46 pm

When you do mate you can give me a heads up.

I have just read the entire ngw thread trying to get my head around how much backseat to use etc. biggest issue is what to store all the low wines in. Might have to head to the reject shop as they had 3 litre sealed jars for $5:00 and that is as cheap as I have found
Wellsy

Postby crow » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:51 pm

Welcome Bjohnman, guess you are in one of the "stage 4" 5 km radius lockdown districts. You'll be happy with the pot is hazard to guess as fraction cuts are a bit of an arse ache with a 5 ltd boiler, fine for running pre-cut spirit for gin etc but otherwise a lot of messing about with tiny cuts......over and over again :hand:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Wellsy » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:21 am

How did you go with your stripping run Bjohnman.
Only 5 more sleeps and the voltage controllers should be available, not that I am counting down
Wellsy

Postby Bjohnman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:26 pm

crow wrote:Welcome Bjohnman, guess you are in one of the "stage 4" 5 km radius lockdown districts. You'll be happy with the pot is hazard to guess as fraction cuts are a bit of an arse ache with a 5 ltd boiler, fine for running pre-cut spirit for gin etc but otherwise a lot of messing about with tiny cuts......over and over again :hand:

Thanks. Yeah in lockdown at the moment which is fun :handgestures-thumbdown: . Very happy to be moving up to a 50 litre boiler and 4 inch modular. Doing stripping runs with a 30 litre molasses wash has been a lot of effort on a 5 litre pot still.
Bjohnman

Postby The Stig » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:31 pm

So where are the pics of your rig BJ ?
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Bjohnman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:41 pm

Wellsy wrote:How did you go with your stripping run Bjohnman.
Only 5 more sleeps and the voltage controllers should be available, not that I am counting down

Yeah mate not long now. Hopefully ready in a few days. Haven’t done a stripping run yet I was waiting on a seal. But it arrived yesterday so I will do a vinegar over the weekend and a sacrificial rum early next week. Also brewing a rye whisky wash tomorrow. Busy few days ahead. Have you fired up your still yet?
Bjohnman

Postby Bjohnman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:44 pm

The Stig wrote:So where are the pics of your rig BJ ?

Hey The Stig. I will get a photo up tomorrow. :smile:
Bjohnman

Postby Wellsy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:54 pm

Bjohnman wrote:

Yeah mate not long now. Hopefully ready in a few days. Haven’t done a stripping run yet I was waiting on a seal. But it arrived yesterday so I will do a vinegar over the weekend and a sacrificial rum early next week. Also brewing a rye whisky wash tomorrow. Busy few days ahead. Have you fired up your still yet?

Hey Bjohnman I have fired the beasty for a vinegar run and tomorrow I run a ngw wah Troughton a stripping run. Don’t forget to get online on Monday as those voltage controllers come into stock on mondAy. I have a ngw on the boil as well as a bwko wash on the go. So hope to keep the beasty working a few days a week untiI am ready to do my first spirit run.

I have found the reject shop to have the cheapest jars locally at 3 litres for $5:00. I might need to make another trip to buy 9 more. When I bought the last lot she asked if I was pickling something and I said yes. I did not mention it was my liver :))
Wellsy

Postby Bjohnman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:03 pm

Wellsy wrote:
Bjohnman wrote:

Hey Bjohnman I have fired the beasty for a vinegar run and tomorrow I run a ngw wah Troughton a stripping run. Don’t forget to get online on Monday as those voltage controllers come into stock on mondAy. I have a ngw on the boil as well as a bwko wash on the go. So hope to keep the beasty working a few days a week untiI am ready to do my first spirit run.

I have found the reject shop to have the cheapest jars locally at 3 litres for $5:00. I might need to make another trip to buy 9 more. When I bought the last lot she asked if I was pickling something and I said yes. I did not mention it was my liver :))

Nice on Wellsy. Yeah I will be checking all day Monday for the voltage controller. I might have to check out the reject shop as well. Not sure if it’s in my 5k radius though. :smile:
Bjohnman

Next

Return to Welcome Centre