Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby bluc » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:24 pm

What ratio was your molasses bomb and what is amounts on light rum. Have not done much all molasses rum but want to try this season :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Guyross » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:48 pm

bluc wrote:What ratio was your molasses bomb and what is amounts on light rum. Have not done much all molasses rum but want to try this season :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hi bluc - first run was 50 litre ferment, used 6 litres food grade molasses, 3 kg raw, 3 kg brown. Heavy, heavy molasses flavour - delicious.

This time wanted to lighten it up a bit. 50 litre ferment, 6 litres molasses 3 kg raw, 3 kg white. So kept molasses the same, from the recipe, and droped the brown and substituted white for 3 kg raw. As said, I wanted it lighter. And looks like I got what I wanted! Gotta be careful about that!
Guyross

equipment: T500 with alembic and tower condenser
4” 8 plate bubbler with 600 reflux tower
95 litre BIAB boiler system

Postby bluc » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:59 pm

Guyross wrote:
bluc wrote:What ratio was your molasses bomb and what is amounts on light rum. Have not done much all molasses rum but want to try this season :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hi bluc - first run was 50 litre ferment, used 6 litres food grade molasses, 3 kg raw, 3 kg brown. Heavy, heavy molasses flavour - delicious.

This time wanted to lighten it up a bit. 50 litre ferment, 6 litres molasses 3 kg raw, 3 kg white. So kept molasses the same, from the recipe, and droped the brown and substituted white for 3 kg raw. As said, I wanted it lighter. And looks like I got what I wanted! Gotta be careful about that!

Cool I generally do half white sugar half molasses 3kg sugar and 3l molasses no gens per 30l scale that to whatever size suits. It is my everyday rum. try and ferment hot fast and under pitch yeast. I quite often get rum raisen type flavours. Not a fan of carribean tropical fruit type rum but I am looking for a heavy rum for occasional enjoyment. Will give your recipe a try cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by bluc on Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby RC Al » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:28 pm

Maybe add a little molasses when bottling to taste?

Would give white dog some colour straight up too
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby bluc » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:42 pm

I try not to cheat :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Guyross » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:50 pm

RC Al wrote:Maybe add a little molasses when bottling to taste?

Would give white dog some colour straight up too

Well, my problem is I wanted it lighter (for you know who!), and of course, when I get it, I am not happy. I will wait until it ages a couple months and make a decision. This hobby seems like it is a never ending chase for ever better.
Guyross

Postby dans.brew » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:07 pm

Guyross wrote:Wanted a gentler rum, so am maybe getting what I asked for.

Just a thought... have you tried getting a little sample of your first rum and blending it with a bit of neutral. You can slowly dilute it down and who knows, you may get what your after that way with a lot less trial and error. :think:
Good work on getting the stronger flavoured rum though.. thats what ive been aiming for.
I've been wondering about trying food grade as all ive used to date is stock feed.
Last edited by dans.brew on Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Guyross » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:50 am

dans.brew wrote:
Guyross wrote:Wanted a gentler rum, so am maybe getting what I asked for.

Just a thought... have you tried getting a little sample of your first rum and blending it with a bit of neutral. You can slowly dilute it down and who knows, you may get what your after that way with a lot less trial and error. :think:
Good work on getting the stronger flavoured rum though.. thats what ive been aiming for.
I've been wondering about trying food grade as all ive used to date is stock feed.

I can attest that using food grade plus subbing in 1/2 dark brown for half the raw sugar gave a really powerful rum.

I have another ferment of rum to run in a few days. Am thinking of dropping down to 3 plates, from 4, to see if that changes up the flavour a bit. Will lose some ABV but may gain some extra molasses tones. I saved a couple litres of late hearts/early tails from the last batch, which I kept aside for blending. It was oaked, so I used it to blend with a couple litres from this run and put it on oak. Will see how that goes. So it is 60%, 2 litres from this batch two from the last.
Guyross

Postby dans.brew » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:47 am

Guyross wrote:Am thinking of dropping down to 3 plates, from 4, to see if that changes up the flavour a bit. Will lose some ABV but may gain some extra molasses tones.

I tried this on my last run and it helped with flavour... however i did add some dunder pit which would of also helped.
It didn't lower the Abv by as much as you would think. Hearts cut ended up around 85-88% if my memory is correct :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

Postby Maxxx » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:09 pm

Question for all the rum monkeys (experts)
I’m using 20% backseat in all molasses washes and was wondering if anyone has noticed identified how many generations It takes before you can really notice an increase in rumminess
I’m at generation 7 now and it’s smelling pretty good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Collecting all strip runs into a barrel and will do a spirit run eventually
Any advice greatly appreciated
Maxxx

equipment: 100 litre stripper
Double retort Caribbean rum still under construction.

Postby Beerswimmer » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:45 am

If you're on gen 7 you're already there! I notice an increase in the deeper flavors after about 2 or 3 gens.
Beerswimmer

equipment: Pot only!!

Postby Nathan02 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:22 am

Max you could be adding some dunder pit at distillation time on your spirit run for extra funk :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby Maxxx » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:21 am

Nathan02 wrote:Max you could be adding some dunder pit at distillation time on your spirit run for extra funk :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Started one from remains of last strip :handgestures-thumbupleft:
How much aged dunder do you normally include in each spirit run.
Maxxx

equipment: 100 litre stripper
Double retort Caribbean rum still under construction.

Postby dans.brew » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:11 am

Maxxx wrote:Started one from remains of last strip :handgestures-thumbupleft:
How much aged dunder do you normally include in each spirit run.

Depends on how funky you want it to be, but i added 13% of boiler charge last time. I would suggest to not go too hard for a start and work your way up to your tasty spot. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

Postby Scubadriver » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:42 pm

Can’t wait to get a couple of plates going and see what the difference is from pure pot still
Scubadriver

equipment: Pot still

Deflag and carter head built but not used yet.

Postby dans.brew » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:00 pm

Scubadriver wrote:Can’t wait to get a couple of plates going and see what the difference is from pure pot still

Currently sippin on my last rum and it is mighty tasty for age, def getting the rummy flavours i like and with plates. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by dans.brew on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dans.brew

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:11 am

That's great dan glad your having a win got some plated rum heading for an ex sherry cask very soon
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby stillthinking » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:37 pm

I’ve just finished a spirit run of 5 gens Macrum which was 6 x 28l ferments using Bundaberg refinery molasses (gen 5 was split into two to use up molasses). I had about 52L of low wines so put some aside to play with later and ran about 45l at 40% through a 4 inch pot still.

I preheated the low wines the night before and left it insulated as read this helps develop rum esters??? Time will tell...

I had removed about 150ml or fores each strip (6 in total) and set aside about 600ml in the spirit run. This might be conservative but I am not concerned with quantity, more so quality. The Spirit run left me with 48 x 350ml - 400ml jars and because it’s my first I ran until I definitely could detect what I think are tails which was jar 48. Run was on average 10 mins per jar.

Jars are airing and I now have the somewhat daunting task of sorting through these, I think I can pick tails ok but am wondering on the heads to hearts transition....
stillthinking

equipment: Stillthinking about it

Postby Wellsy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:18 pm

Just taste it mate, I did not know why but there was a definite point where I went hmm that’s nicer.
As I said I have no idea why but that was my cut over point.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby dans.brew » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Start in the middle of your jars and work outwards. I find heads to have a real harsh bite to it on the tastebuds. Its has a sweet vanilla smell to it also. Good luck. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development