Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

Postby dans.brew » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:11 pm

RC Al wrote:yeah its getting harder to find it cheap now, there is a looming grain shortage i think

The supermarket chains use 'stories' to manipulate prices. Barley prices have actually dropped about $100/ ton over recent months. Wheat prices aren't far behind either. :angry-banghead:
There is more grain out there still than what they say. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Wellsy » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:31 pm

Not likely to be a shortage either if China keeps refusing to take our grain.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby dans.brew » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:44 pm

Wellsy wrote:Not likely to be a shortage either if China keeps refusing to take our grain.

Its a bit of a stuff up considering they have been buying a shiteload of our barley, but we have been too reliant on their market up till now.
Bout time we put our eggs in a few different baskets.
I think they are working on a few alternatives at the moment.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Wellsy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:27 am

Maybe we could do a group buy :)
I found a site yesterday that does your own design glass bottles. Minimum order needed but only 40k, best price if you order 100k bottles. Cashflow is a bit tight otherwise I would have see what we can do lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:21 am

iGA have nutrigrain half price this week for $4:25 for 805 grams.
How many is too many ???
Wellsy

Postby The Stig » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:58 am

I remember going through the checkout with 10 box’s and 30kg sugar at Coles .
Coles also had Coke on special so my Mrs had 20 x 2lt bottles .
Checkout chick asked me , what’s all this for ? I said whiskey and her face went blank.
When the Mrs got to the checkout she was asked if she was having a party and with a straight face she answered , no he needs something to drink with his whiskey.
Poor checkout chick didn’t know what to say.
Just remember, it will go stale and it won’t taste the same
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:11 am

Thanks for the heads up Stig, I thought it might go a little soggy but would still taste ok.
I will get enough for a couple of months.
I can’t believe how slow this wash ferments compared to BWKO, NGW is currtently taking just over a week.
Wellsy

Postby stillthinking » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:48 pm

What’s the brains trust thoughts on stripping say 2 NGW washes and then adding the stripped washes to a third wash for a slow spirit run. Total volume in the 50l boiler would be about 40l with the result of the two strips and a third wash.

Is there any pros or cons for doing this, or is it better to strip all three and then do a spirit run with only 18l in the boiler, provided element stays covered?
stillthinking

equipment: Stillthinking about it

Postby RC Al » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:36 pm

Nothing wrong with plan A, have done plenty that way and it is a good way to bring more flavours through in the early gens

I used make each batch a bit bigger than an exact number of strips so that i could do exactly that, but these days I'm sripping deeper and getting the collected strip to average below 40 per run instead

Get bigger a fermenter lols
Last edited by RC Al on Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby stillthinking » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:34 pm

Thanks Al.

I’m not really a whiskey drinker but just want to try something different. Would stripping first gen and doing another gen on the lees from that then adding the first gen strip to the second gen wash for a spirit run give a decent result, or does the flavour really need more gens to develop?
stillthinking

Postby RC Al » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:20 pm

You will get a drinkable product, but it certainly develops over the gens. Doing the 2 strips and adding that to a third wash for a spirt run would get you some more flavor - sounds like your using a 25l fermenter?
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby stillthinking » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Yep got a couple of 30l fermenters. Think I’ll stick to plan A and do the three washes.
stillthinking

Postby chiefkingston » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:19 pm

i was just wondering if anyone's tried this recipe without doing a stripping run and instead just running a really slow spirit run and how did it turn out.
chiefkingston

equipment: chinese mini still

Postby Wellsy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:24 pm

I think one of the key factors in this recipe is the generational improvements mate.
You loose that if you just do the spirit run straight off.
Wellsy

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:55 am

I don't think you would be impressed with the results. I'm not sure what a "Chinese mini still" is but I'm guessing its a pot still so the first run just won't clean it enough to be a nice drink.

Wellsy, strip runs dont really have anything to do with generations mate. Generations are done with reusing your "trub" from the last ferment to do another ferment.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Wellsy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:31 am

I understand that wood duck
I am a lazy typer mate and I was implying the mixing of the subsequent strip runs that gave the real results.
Unfortunately I forgot to allow for the guys who have not done that so provided potentially confusing advice.

Wood Duck is absolutely correct. strip runs dont make it any better. It is when you mix all your strip runs together for a spirit run that gets you the real improvement in flavour profile. You may need a voltage controller to enable you to do nice slow sprit runs
Wellsy

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:40 am

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby chiefkingston » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:54 am

i have a voltage controller and from what ive seen there seems to just be more pros by doing a stripping run but i guess i was just wondering if you could get a good result with a slow spirit run

thanks for the help
chiefkingston

equipment: chinese mini still

Postby Wellsy » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:06 pm

A good result is something that you enjoy and something you are happy to invest your time in getting :)

There is no right or wrong way here mate, just the way we all prefer.

Try it mate and see what happens, you can always try both ways when the timing is right for you
Wellsy

Postby southern45 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:43 pm

Nutri Gran was half price a couple of weeks ago, so have just put down 2 x 30L fermenters of this baby. Can’t wait!

:happy-partydance:
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development