New member looking for advice

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New member looking for advice

Postby ultra » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:38 am

Hi all,

Just back from an 8 year stint in the middle east where I learnt how to use a reflux still..... This is the beauty I have been using for the last 5 years and had to sell before returning home. I am looking to get/make something similar as it was/is an excellent still.

https://attachment.outlook.live.net/owa ... ation=true

Looking at it now I believe it would not be so difficult to make the column......just different sized piping.....but I am not a welder so I would need help.......Better still If I could just buy a new one!

All comments welcome.
Last edited by The Stig on Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ultra

equipment: yet to buy.....was using a German made 35ltr reflux still.....but moved countries.

Re: New member looking for advice

Postby The Stig » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:18 pm

Your link doesn’t work.
Please upload the image directly
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby ultra » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:10 pm

Reflux Still German design.jpg
Test
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ultra on Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ultra

equipment: yet to buy.....was using a German made 35ltr reflux still.....but moved countries.

Postby RC Al » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:13 pm

Hey there

That is a very outdated design now. Have a good go through the site and look at what others are using

The 5 star boka is a good place to start :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:30 pm

Hi mate and welcome here. I’m with Al and agree that if you want to run a good reflux still then you can’t go past a boka.
Plus it gives you the ability to make brown spirits like whiskey/ rum if you ever want to.
Or just dive in a get a 4” bubbler :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby RC Al » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:32 pm

Oh and....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby ultra » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:18 pm

RC Al wrote:Hey there

That is a very outdated design now. Have a good go through the site and look at what others are using

The 5 star boka is a good place to start :handgestures-thumbupleft:

OK Thanks I will. The machine above works really well......and I really do not want a t 500 if I have other options.......That is where `i am at.......besides hanging out for a real drink in hotel quarantine hell!
ultra

Postby bluc » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:23 pm

Learning to distill in middle east is pretty hard core do you lose a hand or a nut for manufacturing alcohol over there? :twisted:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ultra » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:27 pm

bluc wrote:Learning to distill in middle east is pretty hard core do you lose a hand or a nut for manufacturing alcohol over there? :twisted:

Yes....exactly, but we lived on a compound in Saudi, guarded by police/security forces.....fairly safe environment inside the community......outside is a very different story! There are/were lots of texans/mericans who paved the way and lots of stills around......the good ol days are finishing over there.....
ultra

Postby OzDistilling » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:15 pm

ultra wrote:
bluc wrote:Learning to distill in middle east is pretty hard core do you lose a hand or a nut for manufacturing alcohol over there? :twisted:

Yes....exactly, but we lived on a compound in Saudi, guarded by police/security forces.....fairly safe environment inside the community......outside is a very different story! There are/were lots of texans/americans who paved the way and lots of stills around......the good ol days are finishing over there.....

This is the irony... The word alcohol is actually Arabic in origin. The Saudi Royal Family owns over 30% of Diego and 40% of Pernod Ricard.
Last edited by OzDistilling on Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OzDistilling

equipment: Brewhaus

Postby Sam. » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:32 pm

OzDistilling wrote:
ultra wrote:

Yes....exactly, but we lived on a compound in Saudi, guarded by police/security forces.....fairly safe environment inside the community......outside is a very different story! There are/were lots of texans/americans who paved the way and lots of stills around......the good ol days are finishing over there.....

This is the irony... The word alcohol is actually Arabic in origin. The Saudi Royal Family owns over 30% of Diego and 40% of Pernod Ricard.

Too bad they don’t actually consume it
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby M8Harry » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Sam. wrote:
OzDistilling wrote:
ultra wrote:

Too bad they don’t actually consume it

Who knows that might lead to peace in the middle east if they did that.
M8Harry

equipment: Pure distilling Reflux Still with a 25L boiler

5 star mk2 visualiser and 50L milk can boiler

Return to Welcome Centre