SS Whisky Profile Kit

Homebrew shop essences talk.

SS Whisky Profile Kit

Postby grumpthehermit » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Howdy,

I'm looking to make all sorts of drinks but am really keen to make a good scotch.

It has been suggested to me that the SS Whisky Profile kit might be a good thing to try.

I have found it for $60.00 bucks plus about $7.00 postage, seeing it elsewhere for up to $80.00 plus postage so I'm thinking this site is where I will buy it from.

http://discounthomebrewwarehouse.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_26_57_86&sort=20a&page=2

I'm keen to hear from anyone who has this kit or used it / tasted anything made from it. :-D

Also you can buy the individual "essences" that come in this kit, wondering if there are ones that will get used up quicky that I should potentially buy at the same time? Just a thought. :roll:

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Re: SS Whisky Profile Kit

Postby JustStillin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm considering buying this kit too, but i was going to buy it from aussiebrewer, couple of bucks cheaper. I've bought essences from them before and service was good.

http://www.aussiebrewer.com.au/products ... rofile+kit
JustStillin

equipment: 4" Perforated plate still
50l keg boiler, 2 x 2400W elements.

Postby grumpthehermit » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Yeah is is a few bucks cheaper, too late for me I ordered mine already,

Hoping I get it before the weekend so I can have a play.

Also with the site I bought it from that price was +gst too, still better than paying 80 bucks though.

Bought a small pack of oak chip too.

:)
grumpthehermit

Postby JustStillin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Let us know how you go with it.
JustStillin

equipment: 4" Perforated plate still
50l keg boiler, 2 x 2400W elements.

Postby Choice Bro » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Hey Guys,

Does any one have any feedback on this kit?
I am not a fan of essence but would be a good way to learn the flavours of different styles.

Cheers
Choice Bro

equipment: 25L T500 Style Copper Reflux with exchangable Copper Pot Condenser and exchangable elements ;)
38L Wort Boiler, 35L Mash Tun & Copper Immersion Chiller for all grain beer.

SS Whisky Profile Kit

Postby wedwards » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:55 pm

I have the kit but haven't been overly impressed with it. I think the default recipes of the clones are a bit off. I did read somewhere that someone suggested not to use the glycerine, but I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

I'm not saying the kit is crap, just haven't managed to come up with something truly awesome yet.

Would be interested in trying any custom recipes that others might have come up with.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby petes » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Hey grump - compared to the other posters in this thread you're kinda a guru.

Do you have any sage advice on this kit please? Interested, would like to give it a kick, is all. :smile:
petes

equipment: Amphora PDA 1

Postby grumpthehermit » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Hey Mate,

I can assure you I am NO guru. Far from it actually.

Maybe one day lol ...

The kit is good, pricey but good, I made all sorts of flavors with it and enjoy the different tastes I got out of it.

I think it's a good way to make a bunch of different tastes to work out what sort of flavour you like if you not super experienced in all the different tastes the commercial market has to offer. ( like me ... )

If you know what you like and that's all you want to make then I would not buy it, if you wan to play and experiment then yeah, if funds allow give it a go.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby marbaker » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:58 am

hi there instead of paying all that money and you are not to shure. just down load the instructions from here and just buy the flavours you want for the whisky you like..http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... 20Book.pdf. marbaker
marbaker

Postby Choice Bro » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:45 pm

Awesome link!

Cheers! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Choice Bro

equipment: 25L T500 Style Copper Reflux with exchangable Copper Pot Condenser and exchangable elements ;)
38L Wort Boiler, 35L Mash Tun & Copper Immersion Chiller for all grain beer.

Postby zwagerman9 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:16 am

And buy glycerine at Safeway in the condom Med isle for alot cheaper . :handgestures-thumbupleft:
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

Postby bourb » Sat May 11, 2013 11:48 am

i got this kit. only made tullamore dew clone so far. it was nothing like what tullamore is. after some research, i dropped the glycerine by half and it made a huge difference. its still not up to standard but i think there is still too much glycerine in it. having talked to a shopkeeper, he did say to reduce glycreine by half in all the recipes.
next attempts will be various bottles with glicerine ranging from 0 to 5 ml.
i am new to this but i am finding many essences are too smooth.
i mix with coke to spare the liver somewhat. it might be that the extra glicerine is added for sippers, where as if its mixed, the soft drink has a "flat" taste.
bourb

equipment: AIR STILL

SS Whisky Profile Kit

Postby Nightram » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:45 pm

I enjoyed the "teachers scotch" flavor, if anything too much peat though
Nightram

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:05 pm

I have the profile kit. some recipes i like, others I found terrible (like the bourbon one).

I made the recipe as described with neutral and they were alright. I found the Irish recipe is quite nice, and also the glenfiddich clone. However, things became a lot more drinkable when I mixed 500ml of a recipe from the book, with 500ml of an oaked DWWG- it toned down the artificial taste of the kit, and gave a more rich, realistic flavor.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby spit'n'shine » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:53 pm

grumpthehermit wrote:Hey Mate,

I can assure you I am NO guru. Far from it actually.

Maybe one day lol ...

The kit is good, pricey but good, I made all sorts of flavors with it and enjoy the different tastes I got out of it.

I think it's a good way to make a bunch of different tastes to work out what sort of flavour you like if you not super experienced in all the different tastes the commercial market has to offer. ( like me ... )

If you know what you like and that's all you want to make then I would not buy it, if you wan to play and experiment then yeah, if funds allow give it a go.

Cheers
GTH

I totally agree with this.. I've just started trying out the kit, how long should it take for the flavours to blend in? They are pretty in drinkable when first mixed :?
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby Choppadick » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:33 pm

Have been using these kits for a few years now with spirits from an air still. They are not to bad if nothing else available but need to be left for the flavours to come thru. Had a mate call in to taste my Glenfidditch clone as he only likes a single malt .When asked of his thought he said you have a way to go yet buddy, now making spirits with a cm still & very satisfied with the products so far.
Choppadick

equipment: Air still & a Keggomax 2" CM Reflux Still 50lt boiler with 2200 watt element .water supply from ground bore & return. 5 klw solar power. Primo charcoal griller.

Postby Brendan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:21 pm

Choppadick wrote:Had a mate call in to taste my Glenfidditch clone as he only likes a single malt .

Ahh the holy grail...that's a tough friend to impress.

I'm still trying for a decent malt whisky (I'll do a thread on it soon).
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby valkorum » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:19 am

I have used these profile kits I have found that they smell fantastic but taste very bland. I did find a way of improving them and that's to let them sit for4 weeks after mixing in all the essences, then put wood chips in them and let them sit for another 4 - 6 weeks.

They become drinkable then
valkorum

equipment: 5 Star 4" Pot. Still need to find funds to buy bubble plates

Postby Bundaboy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:26 pm

I have found the kit better than an off the self essence, not MUCH better but enough for me to prefer it over than a pre-made. Once you strt running out just buy the stuff you like - I still have stuff from the original I purchased over 2 years ago.

BUT! I have recently had an epiphany, it has been touched on previously in this thread but, really, the amount of glycerine recommended is waa-aaa-yy too much, in fact you would be better off without it altogether than with the amount prescribed.

Once you turf the glycerine you can start to taste the flavours and add the glycerine afterwards to taste if necessary.

Always oak - If I can't wait I add oak to the bottle in the morning, by evening (NO! I don't drink during the day how dare you insinuate...) it is definitely better, by the time the chips have settled they have done a pretty fair job, if unsettled I just use a strainer.

Yeah yeah I am no purist.
Last edited by Sam. on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed double post
Bundaboy

equipment: MH-943/s water distiller
Some parts in the shed for something more "traditional", 2" MacBoka atop a 50L SS keg fitted with 2 x 2400W weldless elements (with guards).

Postby Braveheart » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:26 pm

I've been making mixes from this kit now for about a year and many friends and family have their favourites. My stepson loves the Johnny Walker Black Label recipe (does not like the Red Label one), my brother-in-law loves the generic bourbon and a mate at work who loves Jamesons really likes that recipe. I find that leaving them mixed for a few days before drinking makes a lot of difference.
Braveheart

equipment: custom design 50mm x 1m all copper VM reflux compound with graham reflux head and liebig product condenser.

Return to Essences