Copper T500 - New NZ Supplier

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Copper T500 - New NZ Supplier

Postby blackstump » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:51 pm

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=alex+N25+still+site%3Anz
Sounds interesting but must be hard to come across, not seen one on Trademe/HBS/AD/HD before.
blackstump

equipment: CM reflux

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:37 pm

blackstump wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=alex+N25+still+site%3Anz
Sounds interesting but must be hard to come across, not seen one on Trademe/HBS/AD/HD before.

theres at least 4 guys running the Alex25n or n25 on aussie distiller and 5 or 6 on HD that I know of, Alex was selling them on trademe but he seems to have gone quiet since may this year his factory was in Christchurch so who knows.
sometimes they are marketed as under the brandname ferromit.
hes got some youtube videos up too
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Choice Bro » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:06 am

The Copperhead guys sorted me out a pot head and lid for mine so I can interchange by swapping lids.
Easy as.
The standard pot they have (still spirits style) is pretty limited (too short) but easy enough to get a new head made and then switch between reflux and pot without detuning ;)
I also got a lower watt element to use on slower pot runs or keep the original one in for a strip run.
A great still for anyone starting out and great customer service from Copperhead as well with questions being answered really quickly.

Overall it is an entry level / casual set up and once you have the stilling bug you will always want to upgrade :)
Choice Bro

equipment: 25L T500 Style Copper Reflux with exchangable Copper Pot Condenser and exchangable elements ;)
38L Wort Boiler, 35L Mash Tun & Copper Immersion Chiller for all grain beer.

Postby Teddysad » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:35 am

A very happy Alex25 user here

Just google ferromit for info

Ted
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby codieb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:08 pm

I just got my Copperhead and wonder has anyone tried replaced the packing with scrubbers? Would it make much difference?
codieb

equipment: Pot Still and Copper T500 with extension column

Postby Fatherjack » Mon May 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Stripped 2x 25L TPW through my Mac potstill

Ran those low wines through copperhead reflux still

managed coolant at temps of 46-49

output was very hot, sometimes with steam :scared-eek: , I increased coolant flow which cooled the output product to around 30ish

during run PC didnt get hot to touch just a little warm at top end

Is this due to higher ABV in boiler?
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby kiwikeg » Sat May 18, 2013 12:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3541
yes I think how it work is the higher abv gives you a lower boiling point. The visible steam is H2O as ethanol vapour is not visible under normal conditions. try slowing the spirit run down by using a lower power element or maybe a power controller.
kiwikeg

Postby kiwikeg » Sat May 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Fatherjack wrote:Stripped 2x 25L TPW through my Mac potstill

Ran those low wines through copperhead reflux still

managed coolant at temps of 46-49

output was very hot, sometimes with steam :scared-eek: , I increased coolant flow which cooled the output product to around 30ish

during run PC didnt get hot to touch just a little warm at top end

Is this due to higher ABV in boiler?

There is a good T500 thread on here or HD somewhere which answers this better but I cant find it, anyone got the link?
kiwikeg

Postby _TK_ » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:40 pm

kiwikeg wrote:
blackstump wrote:Best off the shelf still available in NZ!

Best price -yes definatly best value there is for a off the shlef plug and play. no auguements there BUT best? still :scared-eek: some (me) would disagree as its stilll basically Artisan T500 which is a very nice still but cant but used as a pot still for stripping without damaging the seals....

another contender for best off the shelf still is the Spirits Unlimited Euro 60 or 30 reflux stills as they can be detuned to be run as a potstill too however they cost much more for not much more performance. so the euro can be eliminated on price alone...

then theres the Alex N25 fractional still coming in at about the same price as the copperhead and ALL 316 and 314 stainless steel with removable packing sleeve for running in pot still modeIMHO the alex 25n is the best off the shelf still availible in NZ! :music-deathmetal:

so yes copperhead still is a amazing price for a top performing still and because of that a way way way better buy than a T500 if thats the way you are heading , but the best off the shelf still.... :hand: thats a huge claim

PS i have no financial interest in the Alex N25 other than owning one........
PSS. everyone who has bought a copperhead still seems very satisfied with it and the quality so I guess that the best advertisment there is for these stills are satisfied customers...
Now if Copperhead started knocking out bubblers at such awesome price then they would have my attention real fast..

Hi Kiwikeg,

What you mean by:

'cant but used as a pot still for stripping without damaging the seals....'

higher temp that can damage seals ? - while Im using it detuned the h2o output I aim to is 80+ Celsius, while using packed h2o output reading is around 45 Celsius - so by having higher temp at the top of column top seal can be damage??

which seals - at the top?

Thanx
_TK_

equipment: bottle of rum and shot glass

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:49 pm

Yes the seals at the top. if you do a search on the t500 on the various forums you will get more info I will post some links when I have time to dig them out. probily tomorrow.
I am not knocking that still its a bargain if you want to go the flavoured neutral path. and the boiler is very good value too.
will answer your questions in more depth tomorrow.
fatherjack should be able to chime in too with some realtime comments as he has a copperhead t500 + also added a macstill pot kit onto the same boiler.
kiwikeg

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:20 pm

kiwikeg wrote:fatherjack should be able to chime in too with some realtime comments as he has a copperhead t500 + also added a macstill pot kit onto the same boiler.

Yeah that pot still upgrade is a cracker :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby codieb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:45 am

kiwikeg wrote:Yes the seals at the top. if you do a search on the t500 on the various forums you will get more info I will post some links when I have time to dig them out. probily tomorrow.

Ive got this still and have used it in pot mode with out any issues, i think its got far less rubber and plastic in the top compared to the standard t500 so i don't think its as much of an issue, but all i can go on is my experience.
codieb

equipment: Pot Still and Copper T500 with extension column

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills