what happend

Discuss everything about oaking and aging here

what happend

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:27 pm

I put down 1 liter of 40% neutral on toasted oak shavings about 6 weeks ago up till 5 weeks ago it was quite drinkable
took a swig tonight it ripped all the hairs out of my nose and i reckon theres no enamel on my teeth
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Re: what happend

Postby crow » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:14 pm

sounds a tad over oaked :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Don't you know the stuff goes off if you leave it for long. At least thats what I tell my mrs.

It could be over wooded, but that dosn't make it strip nasal hair. It usually goes, well, woody.
Might be something to do with the shavings, they can make stuff go funny.
emptyglass

Postby crow » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:21 pm

yes shavings and chips with to much end grain will release tannins faster than other compounds and then it will taste, well taniny (not really flash) . I heard if ya leave it for a long time it can sometimes even out, or get worse :? .
Just cut it with some un-aged stuff, it still might have that cold black tea taste mixed with thinners but at least it won't taste like ya sucked it straight from the teabag
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Linny » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:I put down 1 liter of 40% neutral on toasted oak shavings about 6 weeks ago up till 5 weeks ago it was quite drinkable
took a swig tonight it ripped all the hairs out of my nose and i reckon theres no enamel on my teeth

i did a very similar thing ,,, i think its the heat wave that is accellerating the ageing of the chips etc. i had 1.5L at 60% over oaked ,,, just to get it to normal i now have about 9L at 40% of the stuff .... easier to re run it and start again ... because it will take alot to even it out
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks will bang the cork in and stick it in the back room for a year or two :))
Aussiedownunder01

equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby crow » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Linny wrote:
Aussiedownunder01 wrote:I put down 1 liter of 40% neutral on toasted oak shavings about 6 weeks ago up till 5 weeks ago it was quite drinkable

i did a very similar thing ,,, i think its the heat wave that is accellerating the ageing of the chips etc. i had 1.5L at 60% over oaked ,,, just to get it to normal i now have about 9L at 40% of the stuff .... easier to re run it and start again ... because it will take alot to even it out

umm word is that this will merely concentrate the tannins better to water it down with unaged I think
crow

Postby Lowndsey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:38 pm

So what do you call oaked neutral anyway? Some sort of hybrid drink?
I have never had any inkling to oak neutral but can only assume it would be easier to "over oak" neutral as the oak is really the only taste to it?
Last edited by Lowndsey on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby kiwikeg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:41 pm

give it a chance to come right with a little time. if not redistill.
@ CE I redistill all my mistakes tannins never seem to carry over (detuned reflux).
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Well ADU,you've learnt something today :handgestures-thumbupleft: when it tastes good remove the oak :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Don't worry mate,I've done it myself,true,I had about 25l of UJ @ 65% in a keg,good one month,fucked the next :handgestures-thumbdown: :handgestures-thumbdown: Ended up tipping it in with the next run and re-running,I'm drinking the results as I type.
It's all trial and error mate,it may be only 2 weeks between the best booze you've ever made and tasted and the 2 for $5 crap you get on a Saturday night at the local nightclub :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
So,now you have an excuse to sample your wares on a weekly basis,I bet it don't happen again :D
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby crow » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Lowndsey wrote:So what do you call oaked neutral anyway? Some sort of hybrid drink?

ordinary or mistake that's what I call it but each to their own
crow

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:44 pm

I call it a waste,but that's me talking :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby crow » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:48 pm

kiwikeg wrote:give it a chance to come right with a little time. if not redistill.
@ CE I redistill all my mistakes tannins never seem to carry over (detuned reflux).

Ok EG found it wasn't a problem with his oaked faints too, yeah it was an ex member who posted that this will happen when I suggested someone rerun their taninned fuck up

butiwontnameanyone
crow

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Ok its in the next run then thanks
Mite tip all the crap in the next run after i water it down [got a bit of frets ]
Ha i can see it now will get my mate around to watch it run
I can hear him now how the hell do you get 12 liters of 90% out of a 30 liter tomato paste wash :)) :laughing-rolling:
Aussiedownunder01

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby crow » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:40 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Ok its in the next run then thanks
Mite tip all the crap in the next run after i water it down [got a bit of frets ]
Ha i can see it now will get my mate around to watch it run
I can hear him now how the hell do you get 12 liters of 90% out of a 30 liter tomato paste wash :)) :laughing-rolling:

ss turbo extra mate its the bomb :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :whistle:
PS i wouldn't ever use turbo extra as even SS claims it a poor quality compared to normal turbos (must be fucking pretty bad)
crow

Return to Oaking and Aging