Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash Recipe Discussion

Postby Frank » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:19 pm

McStill wrote:All you novice distillers using turbo yeast out there,Try this,and you will be done with turbos,carbon filtering,Etc.

Yep...that's me :lol: Anyway McStill what is DAP? ..and what sort of %ABV would you expect at fermentation end?
BTW ,thanks for the recipe it reads great!

This thread has been started for any one wishing to discuss the making of Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash. The original Tried and Proven recipe can be found in the Tried and Proven section of the forum or by clicking HERE
Frank

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash - WPOSW

Postby MacStill » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:50 pm

http://www.impactfert.com.au/products/dap.html

It's a fertilizer ;)

Most wash's developed by the guru's will be under 10% ABV, this is to eliminate bad tastes and so on from pushing yeast strains to it's limit ;)

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby griff4 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi McStill,
Could you please give a little more info on DAP. You say it's a fertiliser...what do the letters stand for and where would I get it, Thanks.
griff4

Postby MacStill » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:22 pm

G'day griff4,

DAP is Di-Ammonium Phosphate, pretty good explanation in the link I provided previously (above) ;)

I would try a garden center, or agricultural supplies store to find it.

And welcome to AHD by the way, hope you enjoy it here.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby griff4 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks McStill its a pretty informative site.
I missed the link you posted previously. :oops:
griff4

Postby Frank » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanx again McStill, but you could probably guess this question was coming.... :roll: why would I be putting farm feriliser into my wash? I mean, what does it actually do (and I will presume for now that it is harmless)? Oh and welcome griff4 too ;)
Frank

Postby MacStill » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:34 am

Frank wrote:Thanx again McStill, but you could probably guess this question was coming.... :roll: why would I be putting farm feriliser into my wash? I mean, what does it actually do (and I will presume for now that it is harmless)? Oh and welcome griff4 too ;)

Nutrients to feed the yeast Frank ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Brigand » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi Fellas

I made this up on Monday night

Here are my conversion numbers for a

Single 23L
3.6 kg Sugar
5ml Citric Acid
5ml DAP
5ml Gypsum
0.3125ml Epsom
~ 100g Yeast

and a

Double 46L
7.2kg Sugar
10ml Citric Acid
10ml DAP
10ml Gypsum
0.625ml Epsom
~ 200g Yeast

Problem is that this recipe gives an opening of 1.060 per my hydrometer and ProMash

According to ProMash 4.2kg will give 1.070 in a 23L batch and 8.4kg in a 46L batch

In any event its chugging along merrily even with this cold snap

Also with the DAP I found some online from http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/ and http://www.westbrew.com.au/ in 1kg packs @ $20

Cheers
Brigand

equipment: 4" SS 6 Plate Bubbler
2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby Kal » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:57 pm

This is the only wash that I have tried so far in this hobby, worked really well and I have a second batch fermenting at the moment.

I converted to metric and in a 30L carboy I make 25L washes with 4Kg sugar. For the DAP + Cirtic Acid + Gypsum (calcium sulphate) I used 1 slightly heaped teaspoon, with a generous pinch of epsom salts. SG was smack bang on 1060.

I bought the DAP from westbrew, which was linked above. $20 for 1Kg will last me quite a few batches :mrgreen:
Kal

equipment: 50L keg boiler
2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby Brigand » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi Fellas

I'm up to my 4th batch of WPOSW fermenting now

I've been doing 46L batches in a 60L fermenter

The first was 1.060 (7.2kg) the next two 1.067 (8kg) and the current 1.075 (9kg), they are dropping to ~0.990 in about a week

I find 10L of boiling water allows me to hit about 28*C when mixing in

I've rigged up my beer fermenting fridge with a STC-1000 which can be had from eBay for ~$25

This controls a 1000W/2000W floor heater that sits at the bottom of the fridge which I purchased from B for ~$16 which I set to 28.5*C with a 1*C tolerance - this work really well at maintaining temps - it only seems to turn on for 10 secs very infrequently

After FG is reached I pull the fermenter out of the fridge and the yeast seems to flocculate within 24 hours - we've been getting minimums of 8-10*C at night

I've been running these through my pot still and straight into a collection keg - so I'm not sure how much I've collected - but have been going down to 15% (starts at about 65%)

With a 2200W element I get a collection rate of 55ml per minute which over a 3 hour run means I'm getting about 10L @ 40% odd

I've sampled some of the stripping run at various stages and it's quite nice and clean

So with this forth batch I'll hopefully have ~40L @ 40% to run through my VM

I thought it would be useful to detail my procedure for people looking at WPOSW as I find it a little difficult at times to get my head around the volumes, times, rates etc

The only question I've got is whether to hit this with Bi-Carb before running or just run it? Kiwi suggests 1 tablespoon per litre

Cheers
Brigand

equipment: 4" SS 6 Plate Bubbler
2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby R-sole » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:12 pm

1 tsp per litre is what i use.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:32 pm

What does the bicarb do for it?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby R-sole » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:58 am

Only used in the low wines once stripped to compress heads into a smaller volume.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Sam. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:56 pm

so in effect you end up with more hearts? and what is the cutoff for low alcohol?

Sorry for all the questions but all this information on this forum is very new to me
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby R-sole » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:58 pm

You end up with a higher % of hearts yes.

i don't understand what you mean by cutoff of low alcohol. The only way i know to cu the tails out is by taste and smell. (taste for me, but some say they can do it by smell)
R-sole

Postby SBB » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:36 pm

I think what you mean is Low Wines. Low wines are what you end up with once you have stripped a wash usually through a pot still or de-tuned reflux still. The recommended maximum ABV of low wines to be re-run in your still to do a spirit run is 40%.
If you are new to this I suggest reading the information in the following link. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13261 It explains a lot of things that are often difficult to come to grips with (including terminologies)
I know it helped me a lot.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Sam. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:27 pm

yes low wines is what I meant. I read that link last night and it was very informative but I still was not 100% about this low wine business. I assumed it was a low % but I had not seen it stated what % is considered low. I was also thrown off by "wine" as I thought the definition of wine would have been made from grapes?

Anyway can anyone explain how in the hell the bicarb soda compresses the heads?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby SBB » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:34 pm

Sam_and_liv I can only speak for my self and the TPW's that Ive stripped. But the ABV varies as the run is stripped. Mine starts out at about 65% ABV....then drops away as the amount of Alc in the wash/boiler declines. I stop when the stripped low wines get down to about 10%. By that time I have 10L of low wines, when mixed together they average a ABV of a bit over 40%.
Hope this helps a bit.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:42 pm

I'll only strip wash's down to 20% ABV, after that I find the expense (gas/elec) to far outweigh the returns ;)

As far as bi carb or sodium carbonate goes, never found the need to try it :?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:00 pm

I forgot to mention in the last post that the 10L of low wines is from 40L of wash.
As for why the baking soda works I have no idea...... maybe its an acidity thing???
I do remember reading a post some were by Harry I think, were it was stated that a wash PH level of 7 was perfect for making good neutral.........Don't quote me on that figure of 7..I could well be wrong.
McStill I am only new at this and can see that 20% is probably a good time to pull out of a run.......Ive already spent more than a few hours next to my still contemplating this very subject ;)
SBB
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Recipe Development