Reece Plumping is a ripoff

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Re: Reece Plumping is a ripoff

Postby bt1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:28 am

kelby,

before you stick your foot up your butt how is what I said not true...
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby kiwikeg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:37 am

The mark ups are insane. I get my SS from somewhere that also supllys the company I work for I am straight up say its for a home job but will pay by visa (for some reason visa gets better discount that cash) and there I am in 83% discount heaven.

some advice
Know your part number from their website or paper catalouge.(not got a catalouge- ask for one dumbie!)
dont go in when its busy with tradies
Ask for same sales rep each time so if Bob said it would be $50 over ther phone ask for Bob when you get there and use Bob from then on.
dont go in 3 times a week for $12 orders or they will jack the prices to get rid of you!!!
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:26 am

Well I've just gone through a pile of Reeces invoices out of curiosity.

Same product ,different days,different Coffs Stores,Different Staff at same stores .......Same Price !

Maybe the staff up here are just too lazy to fuck about and edit prices on computer just to be bothered ripping me off .

Looking at the pile of invoices ,Bt1 idea of getting an account is not such a bad idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah Mac saw I got one of those 50mm ashtrays $16.35 + GST Pretty expensive for a disc of copper pressed into a bowl.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby crow » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:51 am

Ok my final word on this . Anyone who thinks its ok for a company to increase an item price to what ever they think a client will pay (anything upto 2000%) has completely different ethics to me (to put it mildly). It is in fact NOT OK to over charge a customer just because you think they may be ignorant of the market rates , In fact not only is it immoral but it is illegal too
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:09 am

Totally true and well said crow, people should not be supporting companies like this. My plumb supplier gives me the same price every time, why can't they?. If people keep supporting them, they'll just keep fucking the little guy.
googe

Postby blond.chap » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:56 am

I've been buying from Reece for a bit now, if I had another option I would give it a shot, but from what I can find there's just them and tradelink (who weren't great either). I've got an account with Reece and have to stay on my toes. I agree that it totally depends on the person serving and the branch (4" copper quoted between $120-$400/meter). When I walk into Reece I like to pretend I'm walking into a market in India.

My question is, has anyone made a complaint to the ACCC? I don't know what specific laws they're breaking but it does feel very wrong for how we do business in Australia.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby MacStill » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:04 am

I've found Tradelink to be ok, if you ask them for trade price you'll generally get it, although they do have different levels of trade discount.

Reece, I've just never had any joy what so ever & been refused a discount of any amount.

Now Parkwoods on the other hand is fantastic, everyone who walks in gets the same price out of their book & friendly service.

Over east I used to go to a mob called North Coast Plumbing, they were almost as good as Parkwood for price and service.

For me the choice is easy, I dont like holding my ankles while paying for the privilege :))
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Don't get me wrong I'm no Reece fan but you must play the game...

There's no issues with them charging varying price upto their stated recommended retail...that's the law.

Approach1=fail
meekly...in low tone err could i have just one of those T's things please

Approach2 = Winner
(pick time and place have your facts)

Howdy give us one of those T1234 thanks, wack it on my aCCOUNT and i can't be stuffed arguing today so give us your best price not your first price thanks Fred/Henry/Dave
btw I'm back next week for a few more items will you be in to look after me?

bt1
bt1

Postby googe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 pm

The only reason you would do that is if you have absolutely no other options, I don't see the point in playing the game, surely people have got better things to.do with there time then bargain for something their untitled too.
googe

Postby unsub » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Unfortunately for me Reece are the only place around here that sell copper pipe by the meter. I was quoted $90 per meter for 3" from my local Reece, not sure if that is average, expensive or cheap for that size but if I decide I need it then I don't have much option. None of the local scrap yards want to have anything to do with offloading copper.
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby bt1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:29 pm

googe I wish that where the case...

It's a life ~ism ... you gotta do it to varying degrees every day on many issues

Why not take it as a bit of fun and sharpen up the skills.... you may just get to like it.

bt1
bt1

Postby ElectricEd » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:22 am

Hi All,
First post. 20 years ago I used to know the head accountant at Reece. I asked him about the rip-off prices. He said "we only want tradies and people that know what they are asking for. Non-plumbers are a pain in the a-- so we stitch them up to make the time wasting they cause worth our while."
So there you go, the rip-off is company policy.
ElectricEd

Postby Camikaze » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:29 am

Wow...some company that is. The little Aussie battler is a waste of time nowadays. Kinda sad really. :handgestures-thumbdown:

EE, why don't you pop over to the welcome centre and give us a run-down on what makes ya tick. We're a friendly mob here. ;-)
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby DrunkASAskunk » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:22 pm

I am not missing out on a chance to agree with every one about Reece being a mob of rip of c#^*s Reece = :teasing-nutkick:
DrunkASAskunk

equipment: what i the diff

Postby vsboost » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:20 pm

Bentons Plumtec

2" pipe $35pm
2" joiners $5.50 ea

There abouts
vsboost

equipment: Pot Still, 2" Boka

Postby Dominator » Fri May 03, 2013 8:32 am

I know Reece love to gouge walk in customers, as a tradesmen I see the other side of them and yes they do seem to take pride in stinging the average Joe. Like
EE said, they just cant be farked helping someone who is not a tradie. I am not defending what they do but in most of the cases it is management that have set the massive markup mentality. Even as a tradesman I have to keep an eye on what they are charging me. Store management have a lot of pressure put on them by corporate Reece to make money, and lots of it. If they don't have a high enough profit margin then they find someone else that is happy to take peoples first born for a tap fitting. This mentality is then passed on to general staff and on it goes. I do not use Reece a lot as we have another supplier that seem realize that by looking after people they will come back.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Camikaze » Fri May 03, 2013 8:35 am

So Dom.......

Whats the name of that other supplier eh???

:D
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby ozybottler » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:48 pm

only big chain i found ok was trade link but i found the smaller bloke was better i only paid $30 a meter for 2" copper pipe the others wanted $50 and better service from the smaller bloke b-(
ozybottler

equipment: reflux still and pot still

Postby pt49 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:10 pm

unsub wrote: None of the local scrap yards want to have anything to do with offloading copper.

Not sure I understand you, the local scrap merchant near me has 6 large bins of copper. I started going in about 4 weeks ago and in that time those 6 bins are full to overflowing with every type of copper you can imagine, and they sell it for just under $10 a kilo... I got 1¾ mts of 2" for $18 last week. It looks like it was an old exhaust of some sort, very easy to clean. I sealed one end and filled it with hydrochloric acid... 2 litres cost $10.50 at Mitre 10 (it is reusable).

The beauty of buying old copper is that you can be pretty sure its not thin cheap "Made in China" stuff.

For an end cap I went to Repco's and got a 2" welch plug. Mitre 10 have a lot of reducers, but 2" end caps are $20... hence ny preference for a welch plug which was about $2.50 from memory.
pt49

equipment: Reflux

Postby Sam. » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Some scrap yards will not sell to the public.

Not real sure why but thats what it is. One of the biggest scrap yards in Adelaide (Ferris) won't sell to the public.

Then again I haven't tried real hard to convince them to :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

PreviousNext

Return to Distillers Warehouse