Cutting gaskets query

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Cutting gaskets query

Postby bt1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:19 am

Howdy,

Rather sick of cutting gaskets and trying to get precision on hand cut is well, time consuming.

More a question for a guru on the tools, is there such a thing as a cutter that's variable size so you can cut a circle in any size...unlike holes saws which are fixed.
Almost like a scribe tip for a slow speed drill was about all I could think of. Or hand held either way.

seeking,
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: Cutting gaskets query

Postby Jonno » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:27 am

I'm gonna take a stab here but the boys at work when making up some seals for us use a hole punch. I'm talkin small size here thou, not 4".

Maybe you can find something that big?
Jonno

Postby SBB » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:38 am

There is such a thing BT, they were used years ago for cutting gaskets from leather, They worked a bit like a compass with a blade in one end and could be used in an old hand drill or brace. Not sure if they would work so well on modern materials.

More of them in this link
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=circu ... 66&bih=638
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:38 am

Reckon these would cut cork ok

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suction-Cup- ... 978wt_1163

There's stacks on ebay, these were just the first set I looked at.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:08 am

There a lots of these adjustable ceiling hole cutters

EG this one ,bit Exxy though http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?a ... m&id=T2314
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby bear74 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:27 pm

could leather be used as a gasket instead of cork?
bear74

equipment: handmade copper pot and parrot,
50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Postby Fatherjack » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:14 pm

bear74 wrote:could leather be used as a gasket instead of cork?

Or even copper, as a gasket?

Head gasket on my old Bonneville is copper & is sweet as when set up right :angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling:
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby googe » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:39 pm

I was wondering leather the other day, copper you would need alot of.pressure on the clampto seal I'd imagine.
googe

Postby MacStill » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:41 pm

The trouble with leather is the chemicals and process used to treat it, I wouldnt use it ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:34 pm

MacStill wrote:The trouble with leather is the chemicals and process used to treat it, I wouldnt use it ;-)

hmm Ok my gasket for my old leibig may or may ot have come out of an old Rossi boot :silent:
Yeah I got one of them SBB , to tellya the truth I never though of testing it on silicon sheet, may work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:45 pm

SBB wrote:There is such a thing BT, they were used years ago for cutting gaskets from leather, They worked a bit like a compass with a blade in one end and could be used in an old hand drill or brace. Not sure if they would work so well on modern materials.

More of them in this link
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=circu ... 66&bih=638

I know them as a trepanning tool, when set up with the right tools to cut metal. They can be a bit unwildy though. I've used them to cut mild steel, but I couldn't wait to finnish the job so I didn't have to use it!
They are ok at slow speeds.
emptyglass

Postby SBB » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Empty there are a few different types of this tool, some of the more moden are made for metals, those usually have a drill bit in the center. The type shown in the photo is of the older type designed for leather and soft materials only. They were used a lot by old school pump and wind mill mechanics to cut round gaskets.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby tickle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 pm

http://m.homedepot.com/p/t/100520674
I use this for cutting holes and disks in sheet metal and copper. Might tear cork, as the cutting bit is essentially a drill bit. Might be worth a try, I have some cork about....will report back.
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Cutting gaskets query

Postby ErnieV » Thu May 02, 2013 7:08 am

What about making an everlasting gasket?

Basically you cut out your gasket from cardboard like a cereal box. Then wrap it with PTFE tape. Round and round and round. Use a full roll of tape and the gasket will last for ages.

iPhone Tapatalk
ErnieV

equipment: Building a 2" Boka

Postby blond.chap » Thu May 02, 2013 8:30 am

ErnieV wrote:What about making an everlasting gasket?

Basically you cut out your gasket from cardboard like a cereal box. Then wrap it with PTFE tape. Round and round and round. Use a full roll of tape and the gasket will last for ages.

iPhone Tapatalk

I tried making those things, bastards took over an hour each, then started coming apart after an few runs. I'm may be because of my massive incompetence, but I'm a silicone guy now.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby googe » Thu May 02, 2013 8:40 am

blond.chap wrote:
ErnieV wrote:What about making an everlasting gasket?

iPhone Tapatalk

I tried making those things, bastards took over an hour each, then started coming apart after an few runs. I'm may be because of my massive incompetence, but I'm a silicone guy now.

:text-imwithstupid:
googe

Postby 1 2many » Thu May 02, 2013 4:55 pm

bt1 wrote:Howdy,

Rather sick of cutting gaskets and trying to get precision on hand cut is well, time consuming.

More a question for a guru on the tools, is there such a thing as a cutter that's variable size so you can cut a circle in any size...unlike holes saws which are fixed.
Almost like a scribe tip for a slow speed drill was about all I could think of. Or hand held either way.

seeking,
bt1

Why dont you design your own cutter wouldn't be hard , could have two blades running at same time so it will cut gasket in
one revolution and use cheap replaceble blades . some thing similar to Macs idea but don't use vacuum that won't stick to cork i wouldn't think and make up a twin blade holder. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby snapperhead » Thu May 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Making a ghetto die cutter which could stamp them out on a drill press (a robust one) is fairly simple.

using the separation blades from a dead printer, you could tape them in the right diameter, then epoxy the 2 onto a block of timber with a nail out the other side (for the press chuck to centre and grip)

just sayin

Dont turn drill press on, just stamp them
snapperhead

equipment: Currently building an artisan copper alembic pot of approx 60 litres. more planned, but first things first.

Postby bt1 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Howdy,

Final solution used and tested as we cut 16 gaskets in silcon was to use a compass, mark it out and using a fairly inexpensive scapel set had cut. Simple fast worked!

the issue with some of the processes is the variety of materials used.

The new glass column still using the red silcone sheets...works a treat.

total investment 2 hours & $20

cheers
dave w
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby onmeth » Thu May 02, 2013 8:45 pm

http://www.fluidsealingservice.com/ProG ... d%20M4.htm a serious bit of gear :handgestures-thumbupleft:
onmeth

equipment: Would love a big ass pot still.....

Next

Return to Tips From The Workbench