Molasses suppliers

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: Molasses suppliers

Postby googe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:17 pm

No fucken thanks Sam :laughing-rolling:
googe

Postby Divey » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:18 pm

I have received some information that may be helpful for a West Australian cousins. You can buy the 14kg pails of Bundaberg Refinery Molasses at PFD Food Services on 08 94110500. If you have any problems talk to the W.A. Bundaberg Rep., Ken Allister on 0418857559.
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Postby bluess57 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Divey wrote:I have received some information that may be helpful for a West Australian cousins. You can buy the 14kg pails of Bundaberg Refinery Molasses at PFD Food Services on 08 94110500. If you have any problems talk to the W.A. Bundaberg Rep., Ken Allister on 0418857559.

Don't do that, Mac likely has plenty in an IBC...
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby Kimbo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:09 pm

bluess57 wrote:
Divey wrote:I have received some information that may be helpful for a West Australian cousins. You can buy the 14kg pails of Bundaberg Refinery Molasses at PFD Food Services on 08 94110500. If you have any problems talk to the W.A. Bundaberg Rep., Ken Allister on 0418857559.

Don't do that, Mac likely has plenty in an IBC...

And its bloody awesome too :mrgreen: :happy-partydance:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby TassieStiller » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:38 am

googe wrote:Was talking to my best mate toinght and he was rabbling on about his cows and that he just brought an ibc of mollasses, i was listening :teasing-blah: :)) then a light bulb flicked on in my thick head!!. The amount of times we've talked about stilling and stuff and i never clicked about it, he's in childers qld and used to work for the issus sugar mill and can get 600l for $240, he got my full attention then :laughing-rolling: . He's gunna give his old boss a ring and see what other goodies he can get :happy-partydance: . Im keen to work out how much 600l would cost to get down here though.

Sounds like a bulk order and split up amongst those who may want some :) - Dunno how it would go being shipped to Tasmania though (costs etc). No idea where to get some good molasses here :(
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:01 am

If you fellas can find a transport company that brings stuff from Melbourne across the strait,as I'm sure there would be,I can get you a price on getting it from Qld down to Melb,no worries :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby TassieStiller » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:25 pm

I have a guy who transports Tassies best exports (fish) to Sydney weekly, so he comes home empty each week. Might have to talk to him about it. Even if he picked up in Sydney somewhere if shipping was a fair bit cheaper that way.
What sort of litreage and $$$ could you be talking about. There are a few of us in the far south experimenting with brews and we would join together to get a larger amount
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Postby Brendan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:40 pm

I've read somewhere that you can get the proper Bundaberg molasses from Southern Cross Supplies in Marrickville, Sydney.

Anyone been there and got some?
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby smegory » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:12 am

I've called southern cross suppliers and they are willing to sell to anyone I'm picking some up next week if that helps I think it's approx $21 for a 14 kg pail so not too bad once I pick it up I'll let you know what it's like hopefully the bundaberg stuff isn't to watery :laughing-rolling: ( too soon to joke? )
smegory

equipment: valved reflux still and an original macstill 4 plate ss bubbler

Postby bt1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:23 am

The Bundaberg stuff we used was as thick as...

like much thicker than stock grades here which I suspect have been watered down.

It smells and taste really good also...bonus!

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Brendan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 pm

smegory wrote:I've called southern cross suppliers and they are willing to sell to anyone I'm picking some up next week if that helps I think it's approx $21 for a 14 kg pail so not too bad once I pick it up I'll let you know what it's like hopefully the bundaberg stuff isn't to watery :laughing-rolling: ( too soon to joke? )

Ouch, too soon :)) I do have family that live there though, but they're all good and so's the sugar mill/rum distillery :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Let us know what it's like, I'll pick some up myself when I'm down in Sydney next. Might have to do a run for the Newcastle crew :D
Brendan

Postby Divey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Brendan wrote:I've read somewhere that you can get the proper Bundaberg molasses from Southern Cross Supplies in Marrickville, Sydney.

Anyone been there and got some?

Yep, been to Southern Cross and the only thing I have to say about the Bundaberg Refinery Molasses, It's the bees knees. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:28 pm

The difference between food grade and stock feed is the "food grade" has been through the refining process 2 or 3 times,thus depleting it of sugar :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: Give me stock feed any day :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
Bit like Reece really,pay more for less :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:30 pm

Cupcake wrote:The difference between food grade and stock feed is the "food grade" has been through the refining process 2 or 3 times,thus depleting it of sugar :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: :teasing-neener: Give me stock feed any day :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
Bit like Reece really,pay more for less :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Yeah I know what I prefer :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Brendan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:36 pm

Oh... :shock:

From reading through this forum, I was under the impression that stock feed molasses was the 'next' best thing...second to food grade? 8-}
Brendan

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Food grade has been refined a couple of times,extracting as much of the sugar as possible,don't get me wrong,there are still a lot of fermentables in there,up to 50%,but :hand: when you refine the molasses more you also concentrate what is left behind,the unfermentables,the salts and all the other stuff,both natural and introduced during production and refining.
This is why,your fancy "food grade" molasses has such a strong smell and its coloration is almost black,is also another reason why "food grade" is so thick,it's not that the feed grade is watered down,it's because the water has been removed from the fancy stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
There are those that will insist on food grade,so be it,but I think given the chance they would be terribly enlightened if they could get hold of some feed grade gear,just ask the WABS what they think,I'm sure some of them have run the fancy shit before
Cane Toad

Postby googe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:29 pm

So whats the dif a?tween fancy and refinery molasses?.
googe

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:49 pm

All this to-ing and fro-ing about molasses,and then using yank terminology like blackstrap and fancy has even got me fucked :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
It depends on where you look up the meaning :angry-banghead: fancy = food grade and blackstrap = feed grade
It all depends where you are I spose,just like castle and castle :D
Cane Toad

Postby googe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:28 pm

:laughing-rolling: I'm blaming you for me calling it fancy cause you said it before :teasing-neener: I hate that word haha. I always thought my refinery mol had more sugar than the stock feed stuff, will check my labelles when I get home.
googe

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:44 pm

googe wrote::laughing-rolling: I'm blaming you for me calling it fancy cause you said it before :teasing-neener: I hate that word haha. I always thought my refinery mol had more sugar than the stock feed stuff, will check my labelles when I get home.

it all comes from a refinery googe :roll:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

PreviousNext

Return to Sugar wash's