Molasses suppliers

Sugar wash info and questions

Re: Molasses suppliers

Postby Sam. » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:13 pm

Makes sense to me to use a mixture then. Get some more fermentables in then add however much more flavour you want :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:00 am

Had a look at the labelles, my Queensland molasses stock feed tub says 48~52 % sugars. my Bundy sugar one is 14kg and says 66g total carbohydrates per 100g and 55g sugars per 100g. The stock feed one is 25kg, which means rounded up that's 12.5 kg sugars. The refinery one rounded up means 8.4 kg sugars. Does that sound right?. Can't believe I havnt looked into this before 8-} .
googe

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:03 am

But are they fermentable sugars googe ??

report back when your done :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 am

yeah well I found the stockfeed although slower than some reports yields about the same or on the high side of most reports, not to sure about this crap being watered down you could tip the bucket up side down for 5 seconds and not lose a drop, its just a bit thinner than sealing tar :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:40 am

crow wrote:yeah well I found the stockfeed although slower than some reports yields about the same or on the high side of most reports, not to sure about this crap being watered down you could tip the bucket up side down for 5 seconds and not lose a drop, its just a bit thinner than sealing tar :laughing-rolling:

gets a bit runny once it's fermented out tho hey :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 am

yeah it runny all over the fucking yard when the fermenter split open :angry-banghead:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:02 am

MacStill wrote:But are they fermentable sugars googe ??

report back when your done :teasing-neener:

I don't know and I don't really give a shit, it took all my caring to look at the labelles and work it out. All I care about is putting the shit in a fermented and drinking mothers milk when it's done :-D
googe

Postby bt1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:25 am

On reading there a clear difference from what most areas are getting as stock grade and what we could source locally in Adelaide.

There's another rum post where posted the details but from memory we tried, 3 different feed stores, (Allington's, Paws& Hoofs, Gepps Cross) about 2 lots from each. it was runny and thin. Some was already fermenting away when we bought it. One stunk so bad it never got a start and was chucked out.

real issue was I think 2 lots failed to start, repitched, right temps , slow starts, extra yeast all sorts of drama. Could not be bothered with clarifying and all that extra hassle.
Clearly not the normal experience from what you guys are saying. I think they must just buy "old" or small amounts...never seen a drum or IBC for decanting in any stores.

This was only reason went to Bundaberg food one as it works better more like a slightly slow start TPW. Once it's going it fires up however. It taste good as far as rums go after about 6 weeks ageing.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby blond.chap » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:48 am

bt1 wrote:On reading there a clear difference from what most areas are getting as stock grade and what we could source locally in Adelaide.

There's another rum post where posted the details but from memory we tried, 3 different feed stores, (Allington's, Paws& Hoofs, Gepps Cross) about 2 lots from each. it was runny and thin. Some was already fermenting away when we bought it. One stunk so bad it never got a start and was chucked out.

real issue was I think 2 lots failed to start, repitched, right temps , slow starts, extra yeast all sorts of drama. Could not be bothered with clarifying and all that extra hassle.
Clearly not the normal experience from what you guys are saying. I think they must just buy "old" or small amounts...never seen a drum or IBC for decanting in any stores.

This was only reason went to Bundaberg food one as it works better more like a slightly slow start TPW. Once it's going it fires up however. It taste good as far as rums go after about 6 weeks ageing.

bt1

Hey BT, I've had some success in Adelaide , Goble and son just south of Adelaide had really thick molasses, ferments quickly, and doesn't have any chunks or motor oil.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Divey » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:40 pm

MacStill wrote:
googe wrote::laughing-rolling: I'm blaming you for me calling it fancy cause you said it before :teasing-neener: I hate that word haha. I always thought my refinery mol had more sugar than the stock feed stuff, will check my labelles when I get home.

it all comes from a refinery googe :roll:

I don't think that you're entirely correct there. Feed Grade Molasses comes from the Sugar Mill and the Refinery Molasses comes from the Refinery.

I have made Rum using Mac's recipe to the 'T' using both Refinery and Feed Grade Molasses. The Feed Grade molasses erupts with a very violent ferment whereby the Refinery Molasses has a more slower and controlled ferment. FWIW, I have not noticed any difference in the amount of product distilled by either. One thing I will say is that the Refinery Molasses Rum gives a much cleaner Vanilla aroma compared to the Feed Grade Molasses Rum.

Having said that, they're both bloody good Rums. :smile:
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:15 pm

I thought a sugar mill & refinery were the same thing, my bad 8-}

Not that I care, I'll stick with my dirty watered down oil filled stuff thanks :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks Divey, thought it time I had a bit of a read up on molasses production :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Molasses, The By-Product of Sugar Production

Molasses is a viscous byproduct of the processing of sugar cane or sugar beets into sugar. The word molasses comes from the Portugese word melaço, which ultimately comes from mel, the Latin word for "honey". The quality of molasses depends on the maturity of the sugar cane or sugar beet, the amount of sugar extracted, and the method of extraction. Sweet sorghum syrup is known in some parts of the United States as molasses, though it is not true molasses.
Sulphured molasses is made from young sugar cane. Sulphur dioxide, which acts as a preservative, is added during the sugar extraction process. Unsulphured molasses is made from mature sugar cane, which does not require treatment with sulphur. There are three grades of molasses: mild or Barbados, also known as first molasses; dark, or second molasses; and blackstrap. These grades may be sulphured or unsulphured.

To make molasses, the sugar cane plant is harvested and stripped of its leaves. Its juice is extracted from the canes, usually by crushing or mashing, it can also be removed by cutting. The juice is boiled to concentrate it, which promotes the crystallization of the sugar. The result of this first boiling and removal of the sugar crystals is first molasses, which has the highest sugar content because comparatively little sugar has been extracted from the source. Second molasses is created from a second boiling and sugar extraction, and has a slight bitter tinge to its taste.

The third boiling of the sugar syrup makes blackstrap molasses. The majority of sucrose from the original juice has been crystallized, but blackstrap molasses is still mostly sugar by calories. However, unlike refined sugars, it contains significant amounts of vitamins and minerals. Blackstrap molasses is a source of calcium, magnesium, potassium, and iron; one tablespoon provides up to 20% of the daily value of each of those nutrients. Blackstrap, often sold as a health supplement, is also used in the manufacture of cattle feed and for other industrial uses.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:41 pm

As I've said before,the stuff I get is first run :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: you can go and pay as much as you like for your "food grade" molasses,the reason the ferment is more "controlled" using food grade is its more concentrated,salts,vitamins and minerals etc and less fermentables,as stated before :D
Mill and refineries,splitting hairs really,mills= raw sugar+ 1st run molasses,refineries= white sugar+ 2&3rd run molasses.Only 4 refineries in Australia,I think,Mackay,Bundy,one in NSW and 1 in Melb :think:
I really don't give 2 shits what anyone uses,each to their own :handgestures-thumbupleft: but I can't wait till the season starts,coz I've been told I can have 2 ibc's of cane juice :teasing-neener: :happy-partydance: :teasing-neener: :happy-partydance:
Told the boss of the mill that I wanted to try feeding it to the pigs :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: which isn't too far from the truth :whistle: :whistle: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Hill » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Anyone in Perth brought any molasses this year, preferably south of the river
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby SBB » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 pm

Gummy Bear wrote:one in NSW

Pretty sure that would be Harwood mill down on the Clarence river, as far as I know Condong Mill near Murwillumbah only does raw sugar, it all then gets trucked in B Doubles south to Harwood. from what trucky mates tell me even some from SEQ gets sent to Harwood for further refining and packaging.
Years ago I used to buy 44s of molasses from Condong for stockfeed, from memory about $18 each.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Molasses suppliers

Postby Dominator » Tue May 21, 2013 7:52 am

For those around the Noosa area, Cooroy Produce and Noosaville Stockfeed (same owner) have molasses at 95c per Ltr. Will supply whatever you need. I am not sure what run the molasses is though.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Petulance » Tue May 21, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks Dom, I spend lots of my week up in the Sunshine Coast, between Nambour and Bli Bli. Your info will come in handy as soon as I finish my build. Can't wait to run some rum.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby DaveZ » Tue May 21, 2013 12:38 pm

I got mine from Isis Central Mill, near Bundy, $29 I think it was for 50L, no idea on what grade it is though.
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby pocket » Tue May 21, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm sure someone would have posted this already
(too many posts to read)
Pet Stock Is where i found mine 20 Liters cost me $26
White 20lt tub with a green lid
just finished my first Rum Spirit Run.
From 20 Liters for Me produced almost 12 Lt at 90%
Not including Heads and Tails

Nice sweet Smell :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cheers
pocket

equipment: 3" Colum SS reflux

Postby Divey » Wed May 22, 2013 1:50 pm

pocket wrote:I'm sure someone would have posted this already
(too many posts to read)
Pet Stock Is where i found mine 20 Liters cost me $26
White 20lt tub with a green lid
just finished my first Rum Spirit Run.
From 20 Liters for Me produced almost 12 Lt at 90%
Not including Heads and Tails

Nice sweet Smell :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cheers

How the bloody hell did you finish up with that amount :shock:
Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

PreviousNext

Return to Sugar wash's