keeping it cool

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

keeping it cool

Postby invisigoth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:45 pm

so that i don't waste potable water, i use water from the 1000l rain water tank we have. we have no fancy pump attached to it, so the flow rate is about 4l/m, which gets choked down to 1l/min by the condenser. when i was doing a stripping run one time, i noticed that the arm of my pot still head which has an internal coil condenser, was hot, and only the last 5cm was cool enough to even hold. in desperation to try keeping things cool for the spirit run, this is what i came up with.....

a 20l bucket from bunnings, 10m of a 15m hose coiled inside the bucket , throw in some water and a $3 bag of ice. this worked really well for most of the run, but towards the end all the ice had melted and the water slowly started to loose its cooling ability, but not enough to loose me vapour.

on my last spirit run i found that it was better to cover the hose coil with water, then throw in some chunks to get the water chilled, keep the rest of the ice in an esky, and toss some more ice in when the ice in the bucket had melted. doing this kept the water chilled for the whole run, and i even had ice left over . :dance:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Re: keeping it cool

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:03 pm

Cool :laughing-rolling: Its funny going into panic mode when things go pear shaped, well funny afterwards anyway.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby hubs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:17 pm

This idea reminds me of being told that drag cars / racing cars have some thing similar to cool down the fuel. Makes the fuel more volatile and gives more power.
hubs

Postby jasonc2861 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Chuck a cup or two of salt with ur ice.gets real cold. :D
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:04 pm

hubs wrote:This idea reminds me of being told that drag cars / racing cars have some thing similar to cool down the fuel. Makes the fuel more volatile and gives more power.

Yep and the ricers do it to their intercoolers too! :handgestures-thumbupleft: I have heard about someone hanging a basket of dry ice above their intercooler and the "standard" water spray to disperse the cold.. trouble is the officials thought he was on fire and pulled him out!! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: all that shit for gaining .1 of a second.. each to their own, some distillers go to great lengths to gain that in ABV 8-}
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby hubs » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:36 pm

:)) On the dry ice.
hubs

Postby cuz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:10 pm

I started with an old recycling crate, a $10 EBAY FORD EF radiator, a spare set of FORD EF twin thermo fans,

and a few various hose that I had just laying around.
The radiator is secured to the crate by some heavy-duty aluminium L-channel and silicone. The thermos are well secured to all that and will be running off a spare car battery. I could have just used a normal room fan but I had all this gear laying around so why not!??!!
I got a bunnings sump pump for $70.
12500 lt per hour and 550w.
The plan is to have the water pump from the crate, to the product cooler, up to the coil, back into the bottom of the radiator. It will then be cooled my the thermos as it rises up to the top radiator hose and back into the crate.

Here is a vid of it in action:

I did a quick measure of the water coming out and its around 1 litre per 20 sec. So 3 litres a minute or 180 l
an hour. I think thats about as much water as I can get thru the condensor, no matter what pump I use.
I can further cool the water by dropping ice packs into the tub, but I have heard that a 'spike' in cooling water thru the coil can affect the final product, so a constant temp is ideal.

Just my 2c...
cuz

equipment: Boka noobie

Postby cuz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:30 pm

I used my set up ( Pics and vid above) yesterday on my boka.

It performed flawlessly all day.
The water temp in the tub never rose and by the end of the day, 8:30pm in Melbourne, the tub water temp was a chilly 17 deg C
I did swap out the thermo fans for a stock room fan, cause I couldn't be arsed hooking them up to 240v, apart from that, its what you see above.

Well worth the trouble to set it up, thanks to WineGlass for his help on this

Cuz
cuz

equipment: Boka noobie

Return to Tips From The Workbench