Reece Plumping is a ripoff

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Re: Reece Plumping is a ripoff

Postby bt1 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Don't bother Sam...

they are scared shitless about public onsite and insurances costs. I've tried 4 or so...same story.

I asked if they could fetch and retrieve...not interested.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:16 pm

They must be a bit paranoid in Adelaide then :laughing-rolling:

Probably have more luck in smaller towns :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:17 am

It's also got to do with their licences,to sell shit back to the public,they have to have a second hand dealers licence,not that that means much really
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby db1979 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:38 am

And some places are only interested in measuring quantities by the tonne. I thought I was on a winner when I found out a lady at works' hubby drove a truck for a major scrap dealer, but apparently they deal with the wharfs and other major industries. His boss has been known to go off his tree when the public come in even trying to SELL small quantities let alone buy small quantities.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Dominator » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:06 am

db1979 wrote:And some places are only interested in measuring quantities by the tonne. I thought I was on a winner when I found out a lady at works' hubby drove a truck for a major scrap dealer, but apparently they deal with the wharfs and other major industries. His boss has been known to go off his tree when the public come in even trying to SELL small quantities let alone buy small quantities.

But what if a few KG of scrap fell off the back of his truck? :shifty: Would they miss 10kg of copper here and there when they deal in tonnes? :think: A bottle or two of you finest could help said copper on its way to your shed?
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:21 pm

Went to get some 2" brass allthread 150mm long .Reeces wanted $60 something .

Went to tradelink .Lady looked it up on the computer.Said thats $44 .She commented to other sales bloke that that was pretty Exxy .He agreed .Tap tap tap .That will be $23 thanks .

Ok I'll have it thanks
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby crow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Went to get some 2" brass allthread 150mm long .Reeces wanted $60 something .

Went to tradelink .Lady looked it up on the computer.Said thats $44 .She commented to other sales bloke that that was pretty Exxy .He agreed .Tap tap tap .That will be $23 thanks .
Ok I'll have it thanks

My experience tells me then that it would have been a walk in off the street price of around $12 at PlumbTec but you could probably chipped them down to $9.50 :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Matt_Pl » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:43 pm

I have to agree 2'' copper pipe at my local Reece was priced at $52 per metre, local plumber supplies had it for $32.

Who actually shops at Reece?
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby Smbjk » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Yesterday bout 2 x 3" joiners and 1 x 2" joiner and the guy said to me thats a quick way to blow $75 :crying-blue: . Had to buy them as I could not find the 3" joiners anywhere :handgestures-thumbdown: lesson learnt wont be going back there again
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:46 pm

if you want couplers ( joiners) Tradelink are really cheap compared to Reeces

However ,if you want an on the spot cardiac arrest ,ask Tradelink for their price on copper pipe .They make Reeces look cheap :laughing-rolling:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Hava » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Glad I saw this thread. Was looking around for 6" copper pipe on the weekend. Trade link $900 for 5m no cuts, Reece first quoted $900 for a half length then $1,300 for full length, for the same thing.

Fucking pricks.

Still don't have the copper I need or caps to go with it.
Hava

equipment: Once you've run a FSD there is no going back!!!

Postby MacStill » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Dont pay any more than $200pm for 6" the local guys here will cut .5 lengths, but they only charge about $8 for a 2" joiner too :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Matt_Plew wrote:Who actually shops at Reece?

Plumbers who buy tens of thousands of dollars of stock a year. And yes they there is a difference to the price a guy gets off the street :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Hava » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Yeh, I'm asking around now to see if any one knows a tradie who may be able to help.
Hava

equipment: Once you've run a FSD there is no going back!!!

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:12 pm

All depends on where you are and what your situation is but I have heard Reece slogan should really be:

"Dont risk it, let us rape you" :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:26 pm

I got my plumber mate to get me that 18 metre roll of 1/2" annealed copper pipe from reece as he had an account $100, I was in reece getting some drain plugs and asked the price on the same roll. I was asked if I had an account which I didn't that will be $230 for you mate. Yea so talk about ripping off the average joe.....
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Previous

Return to Distillers Warehouse