Mrs McStill's Coffee Liqueur (Kaluha) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Mrs McStill's Coffee Liqueur (Kaluha)

Postby frogeyed » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks Linny..tried a different insant and is much better...will try a ground coffee next ...do you have any suggestions on a brand as I dont actually drink coffee
frogeyed

equipment: 25l reflux still

Postby Linny » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:34 pm

i dont drink much coffee either , I used the coffee from here :
http://www.aussiefarmers.com.au/product ... php#coffee

But i get all my food fresh directly from the local farmers delivered. If you goto woolies any 200g ($6-$7 mark) of ground coffee would have to take better than instant
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Mrs McStill's Coffee Liqueur (Kaluha)

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:56 pm

I've used instant and espresso from quality beans. I recommend either way that you dissolve your brown & white sugar first at a high temp and then wind it right back to very low and stir constantly for at least 30mins.

Coffee can and will burn, that's the bitterness I think you're getting. Up the sugar and neutral if it tastes bitter.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Linny » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:30 pm

i think coffee burns/bitter's over 70*C ,,, well according to the ramblings of the coffee junkies , but coffee alone is like our hobby .... theres a WHOLE another level to it, can get real deep
Linny

Postby Linny » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Cant edit , correction for above ... its about 90*C

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_preparation

and a quick youtube guide on preparation for easy home use

Linny

Postby frogeyed » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks everyone for the great advice on coffee...I have not drunk much Kahlua before but made some for the mrs and I am really enjoying my home made stuff... Going to try the ground coffee like in that YouTube video with vanilla beans..will let you know how I go... i also saw another recipe (on this site) but using brandy as well as neutral spirit I don't see the point of buying brandy I love the idea of making every thing from scratch. Does anyone know why you would add Brandy as the original Kahlua (according to Kahlua's website) contains coffee, sugar and vanilla! Thanks again for everyone's input!!
frogeyed

equipment: 25l reflux still

Postby pablo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:33 pm

MacStill wrote:She's a Kahlua pig Fester, I dont mind it but can never get past punkins muck :D

Sounds great, when sharing with friends it may pay to mention the 40% as the "real" Kaluha is 20% could mean a headache to an 18 year old.

Pablo
pablo

equipment: T500 which has cooked 186 x 25 lt. batches for me, now looking at a change to a more refined copper still with NO plastic involved.
All advise greatfuly accepted.

Postby Mrs Mac » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:47 pm

Actually Pablo

Once you add the Coffee/ sugar syrup and vanilla to the 40% it takes it down to about 25-20%, as you started with 1ltr and end up with almost 2ltrs. :D

Oh and as I see this is your first post Welcome to the Forum, maybe you should go and introduce yourself in the Welcome Center.
Then take a look at the calculators section of the Newbies Corner as this may be of interest to you :handgestures-thumbupright:
Mrs Mac
Lifetime Member

equipment: bubble wrap
sticky tape gun
stanley knife

Postby Teddysad » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:07 pm

I have just made a batch of this.

I used a reasonable quality instant ( SWMBO is the usual coffee drinker in our household and this was her preference)
I detected a slight burning after the boiling stage.

However I added about 6 teaspoons of Milo after the heat was turned off (Post 1 hr simmer) This as well as her favourite Moirs Vanilla Essence seems to work well

This has added a nice chocolate flavour to the result, and has her vote of confidence as well

Sipping a Black Russian as I type

Well done Mrs McStill
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Boomgate » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:11 am

Hi, I made this last night, flavour seems very nice.

Just out of curiosity, the simmering for an hour, was that to thicken the brew? Because you didn't specify whether to cover or not..
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Re: Mrs McStill's Coffee Liqueur (Kaluha) Recipe Discussion

Postby tipsy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Made this last night, drinking it tonight.

Thanks Mrs Mac, very nice. And the missus is very happy. :romance-kisscheek:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby mattcoffs » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Has anybody tried adding coffee to the wash?

I make a stout that i use a little espresso machine for, brewing two double shot panella thingy's into a total of 300ml and add it to a 20l batch when adding yeast. Totally fluked the amount, came out perfect first time in the stout. Coffee flavours, without being the dominant flavour.
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby SUDS » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:41 pm

Hey guys, was going to make some of this tonight but then began to wonder about using ground coffee beans. Unsure what the equivalent ground beans would be to half cup of instant and how have you dealt with the grounds/sludge from the ground beans. Also not too keen on boiling the coffee for an hour as I expect this would make it quite bitter.
SUDS

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby choppy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:32 am

I use ground beans that my brother "finds" at his work, I use about 25% less coffee than the recipe, light simmer for about 10 minutes, strain it through a sieve and then coffee paper.

My wife and her girlfriends love it, which means my wife's girlfriends husbands are loving it too! win win

I'm not a coffee drinker but I love this drink with chocolate milk.

hands drown my favourite recipe on this forum… and there are some cracking recipe (thanks everyone for posting them)
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Boomgate » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:10 am

SUDS wrote:Hey guys, was going to make some of this tonight but then began to wonder about using ground coffee beans. Unsure what the equivalent ground beans would be to half cup of instant and how have you dealt with the grounds/sludge from the ground beans. Also not too keen on boiling the coffee for an hour as I expect this would make it quite bitter.

I tried it recently replacing the coffee with two shots of good quality barrista made expresso if that helps. I think it was the perfect amount of coffee, but the boiling was overkill as it made it taste a bit burnty (I know thats not a word) :)
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby tipsy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:35 am

I'm putting the coffee in after boiling the sugar syrup. Less burnty. (it's a word now cos we both used it!)
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby SUDS » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:14 am

Haha deffo can't have it tasting "burnty" that would be tots awks!!! I'll mill some beans in the thermomix and get some filter paper.
SUDS

Postby SUDS » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Made this today with freshly ground beans from my favourite coffee supplier. Very impressed think I will give it a couple more tweaks. Have got a bottle of the real stuff, a HBS mix, this one and one a mate has made to compare against...let the tasting begin and thanks for sharing the recipe!!!
SUDS

Postby gad » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:43 pm

Oh man, thank you Mrs Mac

Made a batch of this for the wife & WOW !!!!!!

My wife luv's it (didn't think I would (whiskey drinker, but will try most anything) but gee, gr8 stuff)), she's been giving samples 2 her friends & it now seems I'm luved by more woman than I thought possible lol

Never thought I'd spend time over a stove on a Sat arvo but did today lol

Gr8 stuff, thank u again Mrs Mac.
gad

equipment: pre 2005 - 25L Reflux / Pot Still,
Mar 2019 - 1.5" Reflux Still.
Aug 2019 - 2" self built Reflux / Pot still.
50L Keg boiler.

Postby choppy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:01 pm

I made a double batch today, a bottle for each member of my free loading drunkard family.

Thanks Mrs Mac, you and Al are champions.

Cheers
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development