Tap for olive drum

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Tap for olive drum

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Does anyone know where to get one of those taps which you drill the whole and push the tap through and it has a seal and a nut for the inside of the tub? Bunnings have the ones that screw into ya threaded vessel but im looking at putting a tap on a vessel without a thread. Thanks in advance if anyone knows where to look having a bit of trouble searching for one
ticknaylor

Tap for olive drum

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:55 pm

I'd like an answer to this too.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Tap for olive drum

Postby HomeBrewed » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi guys,

Not sure if this would be any help but I know you can get beer taps which are made to be installed through a fridge door with the seal and nut etc...

Maybe that would work just as well? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
HomeBrewed

equipment: Reflux still in the making

Postby 8-ball » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:01 pm

I use a 25mm pvc ball valve thats threadded and use a plain to screw adaper straight through the side of any plastic drum never had a leak except when I used a 50mm ball valve small ones seal big ones dont u need a bulkhead
Costs all of about 12 dollarydoos
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby crow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:26 pm

I just put one of those taps like you have on 20 cubes or fermenters cost me two and f#ckpence :handgestures-thumbupleft:
(ok cost me friggin heaps coz it came off that fermenter full of rum wash I split) :angry-banghead:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Try a produce store that has a lot of irrigation gear/ stuff for drip lines and sprinkler systems for plant nurseries that sort of thing. That's were Ive seen them.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby 8-ball » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:34 pm

crow wrote:I just put one of those taps like you have on 20 cubes or fermenters cost me two and f#ckpence :handgestures-thumbupleft:
(ok cost me friggin heaps coz it came off that fermenter full of rum wash I split) :angry-banghead:

Lol I filled up a 75l fermenter with tpw going this will be awesome turn a tap and straught into the keg go to check it the nextday and wondered y the floor was stick 55l dripped out of the 50mm tap
8-ball

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Think you mean these.

Brass outlets for water tanks.You can get them anywhere they sell rural supplies. Or water tanks and accessories

Here's one on my 60 liter Molasses drum.
Adjustable RC 021.jpg

You only get the fitting .The tap is extra .Think it was about $20 for this 1/14" one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Yummyrum on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby waza » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:36 pm

IMG_0727.jpg

This is what I use 1 inch bulkhead fitting and ball valve with stainless steel screen attached to other end of the bulkhead fitting. All available at irrigation supplies, used in house hold water tanks. The Ball valve shown is pressure rated you can get cheaper ones.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
waza

equipment: still looking.

Tap for olive drum

Postby Rumdrinker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:07 pm

I use a PVC bulk head fitting (has an unwanted hose end fitting on the end of the threaded section), PVC ball valve & threaded/hose fitting elbow on my fermenters. All available at irrigation supply shops pretty cheap. Only mod required is to cut off the hose fitting from the end of the bulk head fitting so the ball valve can easily screw on.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby SBB » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:07 pm

waza wrote:This is what I use 1 inch bulkhead fitting and ball valve with stainless steel screen attached to other end of the bulkhead fitting. All available at irrigation supplies, used in house hold water tanks. The Ball valve shown is pressure rated you can get cheaper ones.

Those are the ones i meant Wazza :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Fun part is conning someone else to get in the 200L barrel to hold the inside fitting. :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby wedwards » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:45 pm

I've tried almost all of those taps and the mongrel things all seem to have a slow leak - maybe I suck at installing them but I don't think so. Have gone back to using a hose to syphon it out - no leaks yet haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby waza » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:18 pm

SBB wrote:Fun part is conning someone else to get in the 200L barrel to hold the inside fitting. :laughing-rolling:

sounds like a job for the misses. Na a piss of piss to fit really.

[quote="wedwards"]
I've tried almost all of those taps and the mongrel things all seem to have a slow leak - maybe I suck at installing them but I don't think so. Have gone back to using a hose to syphon it out - no leaks yet haha

I have several of these fitted to 200l food grade plastic barrells, no leaks, no problems.
waza

equipment: still looking.

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone :handgestures-thumbupleft: some great ideas for some reason I thought I had to buy a complete unit rather than make something up from a few simple parts cheers much appreciated
ticknaylor

Postby 8-ball » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:23 am

they shouldnt leak drill the smallest hole possible i go one size smaller then whats needed and screw the thing in rather then just pushing it in but a bulk head shouldnt leak at all as long as its done up tight :handgestures-thumbupleft:
8-ball

Postby crow » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:41 pm

That is what I did 8 ball, :handgestures-thumbupleft: . I put a nut on the back but it would have held without it ,I tested it without first :D
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Distillers Warehouse