Docs FSD Carter Head.

High performance modular SS304 plated columns and accessories.

Re: Docs FSD Carter Head.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Doc
You've probably said it before but what size boiler are you putting under the 8"?

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby the Doctor » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:01 pm

300 liters which is based on my limited working day which has to do with the need to have a number of insulin injections and eat a specified times. I start work at 7am and have to stop at about 3.30pm (My first injection is at 7.30 am) as my blood sugar drops to dangerous levels and I get very, very tired my next injection is not till 5.30 pm. So I worked out that a 300 liter boiler would not see the runs go too far over my times. Perhaps next year I will look at a 500 liter stripper, but for now I will have to be content with the current set up. Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby TBone » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:23 am

MacStill wrote:The very first "Truly Modular" Carter Head by the Doc & 5 Star Distilling :happy-partydance:

DSC_0587.jpg

Looks awesome Mac! Question about the carter head for home use...is there a way to achieve what Doc is doing on his set up without the use of the valve system... So start your run until you get to the hearts and then add in the gin basket so you only expose the botanicals to the purest product?
TBone

equipment: 5 Star Mac 4 SSG
50L keg boiler
Grainfather brewing system

Postby MacStill » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:30 am

Yes mate, we could set the rig up with condensers instead of the valve system, you would then just adjust coolant to the condenser you want to let vapour through :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby the Doctor » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:31 am

TBone wrote:
MacStill wrote:The very first "Truly Modular" Carter Head by the Doc & 5 Star Distilling :happy-partydance:

DSC_0587.jpg

Looks awesome Mac! Question about the carter head for home use...is there a way to achieve what Doc is doing on his set up without the use of the valve system... So start your run until you get to the hearts and then add in the gin basket so you only expose the botanicals to the purest product?

I know you asked Mac but I think rthat I can answer that one...simply the answer is yes, keep the basket out until you reach the hearts then insert the basket and run as per normal. Time is a consideration in the context of a commercial distillery so it is important to us to avoid shutting down if we can, but in the home situation that is exactly what you could do.
Cheers
Doc
the Doctor

Postby TBone » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks guys...appreciate the quick response.

Doc...if running on a bubbler and you shut down...wouldn't that cause smearing of the hearts and tails as the bubbler plates would loose pressure/balance falling back into the boiler?

Mac...if I'm understanding what your saying...you would run as per usual and when you hit hearts you would increase water flow to knock product back down into the bubblers, then add it the botanicals to the carter head, and then decrease water flow and start the gin run?

Thanks again gentlemen for sharing your time and knowledge!
TBone

50L keg boiler

Postby MacStill » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:26 am

TBone wrote:
Mac...if I'm understanding what your saying...you would run as per usual and when you hit hearts you would increase water flow to knock product back down into the bubblers, then add it the botanicals to the carter head, and then decrease water flow and start the gin run?

Yeah that would work fine and is pretty much what doc meant above by "shutting down" I think.

What I was suggesting was that we could build something very similar to Docs rig in 4" but instead of the valve we could use condensers to direct vapour to either take off.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby TBone » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:08 pm

That sounds really awesome Mac... When I end up ordering next year I'm pretty sure I want to get this carter head attachment along with the standard modular still. I'm on a bit of a gin kick at the moment and really quite like the idea of adding a top shelf gin into the home bar line up.
TBone

50L keg boiler

Postby the Doctor » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Sorry guys I have a bar full of people at the mo...Just turn up the dephlemator water till flow stops and put in the basket then re set the deph and run away the hearts through the basket...hope that makes sense ...If not I will get back to you in a couple of hours,when it calms down. Cheers
Doc
the Doctor

Postby MacStill » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Well here we go, thought I'd give you guys a bit of an update.

Doc got his valve & linkage setup today, and if I'm right all he needs now to complete this rig is his 300L boiler that's being delivered ( hopefully thursday :pray: ) the pic below is Doc's boiler on the right. ;-)

E.jpg

soon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby CHEROKEE » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Nice Boilers,...................................beautiful, I think the 300 litre might fit in my kitchen, maybe. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Postby MacStill » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Forgot to mention a few of these Carter heads turned up today, so now I'm going to custom build the downtube into the thumper/sightglass on these to send them out.

There's another couple on the way reserved for others, and a couple of spares too, extra baskets n stuff like that, plus the carbon filters are almost there too.

One thing I'll say, I'm having a hard time faulting the workmanship on our custom parts lately, all our ferrules are straight & true, so when it's all clamped together everything fit's just right, the way it should.

Slowly but surely, nothing good happens overnight in this game.... positively :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:30 pm

CHEROKEE wrote:Nice Boilers,...................................beautiful, I think the 300 litre might fit in my kitchen, maybe. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No it wont :violence-smack:

:laughing-rolling: dickhead :laughing-rolling:

anyway the 500L one next to Doc's is going elsewhere, but that's for another thread later on ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Vatoe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:40 pm

MacStill wrote:Well here we go, thought I'd give you guys a bit of an update.

Doc got his valve & linkage setup today, and if I'm right all he needs now to complete this rig is his 300L boiler that's being delivered ( hopefully thursday :pray: ) the pic below is Doc's boiler on the right. ;-)

E.jpg

soon!

Nice :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The fill ports give you some idea of size, but it's still hard to appreciate how big they are in those photos re scale.
Vatoe

equipment: Pure distilling spirit maker

Postby the Doctor » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:56 pm

Good news guys got the valve set up together today and shot some video for the coming movie...It is exactly what I have come to expect from 5 Star...it is perfect. The boiler is going to be picked up tomorrow. So well on my way to finally running Methusulah. Which is just as well we have nothing left in the last 300 liter vodka tank... So with the bottles we have on the shelves just enough to get through the weekend... Boy next week is going to be a big one... I will try and get a couple of shots and video to let everyone see it in action. Bloody excited is all I can say...very, very excited. Woo Hoo !
Doc
the Doctor

Postby MacStill » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:12 pm

Check your email Doc, we just got confirmation your boiler is ready to pick up tomorrow :dance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby dogbreath vodka » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:30 pm

MacStill wrote:There's another couple on the way reserved for others, and a couple of spares too, extra baskets n stuff like that, plus the carbon filters are almost there too.

Mate what sort of $ do I need to get me one of those baskets? :think:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby the Doctor » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:33 pm

MacStill wrote:Check your email Doc, we just got confirmation your boiler is ready to pick up tomorrow :dance:

Already printed and forwarded to our freighter... He said he will have his runners on to pick up ASAP. Bloody hell mate it has been a great trip...so many calls and design ideas...How cool it will be running any day now... I shot some video today and Ian and I will shoot some more tomorrow when we top off the column with the Valves. The footage today looked great ...we put the valves on my little turntable...we managed to get a great shot but could not spin and open and close the valves at the same time...My turntable was pooping itself under the weight. I will have to think about that one.
Cheers
Doc
the Doctor

Postby 1 2many » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:33 pm

I am exited for you Doc , Its going to be epic I can't wait either . :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby the Doctor » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:28 pm

1 2many wrote:I am exited for you Doc , Its going to be epic I can't wait either . :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks 1 2...it is gonna be hard to get a good night sleep until it all gets here...mate i feel like a kid at christmas...except dad isn't drunk and mum hasn't got the shits cause i knocked the tree over.
Doc
the Doctor

PreviousNext

Return to 5 Star Distilling