Distilling Apps for Android & iPhones

This is a forum developed for people looking for distilling hardware, here is where you should post links and information as to where we can find stuff on the net or in your local area.

Distilling Apps for Android & iPhones

Postby audistiller » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:19 am

I did a search here but I didn't find any results for Android & iPhone Apps used for Distilling, so I thought it would be a great idea to have place where we can have a collection of Apps for everyone to use. So here are two Apps I use on my Android Phone that are free. If you find a useful App for either Android or iPhones, please posts the links and brief description in here for everyone to try. If you cant be bothered, PM me the link and I will update this post to keep all the links together in one post.

Distillers Toolbox
Suite of calculators and tables used most by the professional distiller.
Jake Norris shares secrets from his years of experience as a Master Whiskey Distiller in this app. The distillers toolbox takes the headache out of distilling with this suite of calculators and tables used most frequently by the professional distiller. Version 1 contains the dilution calculator, which quickly tells you how much water to add to spirit to dilute it to an exact proof for bottling or barrelling. Features on the way include Hydrometer correction based on temperature, wine gallons vs proof gallons, and more. There are some parts of this App that are not yet working, they are being added in a future release.

Download for Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... erstoolbox

Download for iPhone - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/distille ... 09660?mt=8

StillMate
This is a simple tool to calculate alcohol dilution and other tools useful for distillers.
* Fill volume calculator
* Dilution calculator
* Vapor/Liquid Equilibrium & wash boil point

Download for Android - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=stillmate&c=apps

Mixology
Mixology is the ultimate drink recipe and bartending guide.
* Browse and search through 7,900+ drink recipes and 1,300+ ingredients.
* Drink categories include Cocktails, Martinis, Shooters, Jello Shots, Hot Drinks, Punches, Non-Alcoholic Drinks, and Favorite Recipes.
* The “Liquor Cabinet” tab lets you enter all the liquor and mixer types you have on hand—and find all the cocktails you’re able to make.
* The “Random” tab has a slot machine interface, which lets you find random recipes based on liquor, mixer, and glassware criteria.
* The Cabinet and Random features are user-friendly because we’ve broken down 1,300+ ingredients into 87 categories.
* Choose between Metric and Imperial (US) units for all recipes with the click of one button.
* Find the closest liquor stores using GPS and Google Maps.
* Learn bartending techniques & terminology.
* Share recipes with friends via email, Facebook, and Twitter.
* Add your own custom recipes (paid iOS version only—coming soon to Android).
* Select a random drink from any list you’re currently viewing (paid iOS version only—coming soon to Android).

Download for Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... p.mixology

Download for iPhone - http://itunes.apple.com/app/mixology-dr ... d320926534
Last edited by audistiller on Sat May 26, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Re: Distilling Apps for Android & iPhones

Postby Kal » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:03 am

Awesome. I already had stillmate installed but the distillers toolbox is new to me. Installed it and glad to see the proof temp adjust is based on a 60f alcometer which is what i have.
Kal

equipment: 50L keg boiler
2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby Brigand » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:16 am

I have been using an app called "Dilution" for calculating dilution for neutrals

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dilution ... 70086?mt=8

Seems to do the trick

Cheers
Brigand

equipment: 4" SS 6 Plate Bubbler
2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby crow » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:59 am

Very cool 8-) 8-) Took me 3 goes to down load it , guy that dreamed up auto correct :violence-stickwhack: :violence-stickwhack: should be hit with a shovel :teasing-nutkick:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby NotBenStiller » Fri May 25, 2012 5:15 pm

I have stillmate - but it could be a bit more useable - such as automatically going to the 123 type keyboard for the number fields (which the whole app uses hehe )
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby audistiller » Mon May 28, 2012 7:31 am

I just added another App called Mixology, check it out in my first post.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby Classified » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:24 pm

Hey Guys,

I recently have received a PM about my android app I said I was developing a few years back. Due to lack of interest then I stopped development. I have just pulled out what I could find of my source code and have starting working on it again. I have just sent out a beta to the user in question.

So far I only have a sugar wash calculator, and wash alcohol content.

I will be implementing,
Dilution calc tonight.

I might release the next beta if I get some interest. :)

What other features would you guys like? I have noticed that the market is still lacking quality apps for the artisian distiller.

Admin if you feel this needs its own thread, please move it. :) PS sorry for the Necro.
Classified

equipment: Super Reflux

Postby Vatoe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Classified wrote:Hey Guys,

I recently have received a PM about my android app I said I was developing a few years back. Due to lack of interest then I stopped development. I have just pulled out what I could find of my source code and have starting working on it again. I have just sent out a beta to the user in question.

So far I only have a sugar wash calculator, and wash alcohol content.

I will be implementing,
Dilution calc tonight.

I might release the next beta if I get some interest. :)

What other features would you guys like? I have noticed that the market is still lacking quality apps for the artisian distiller.

Admin if you feel this needs its own thread, please move it. :) PS sorry for the Necro.

Proof temp adjustment calculator. As Alcometers are calibrated at 20c, a simple calculator where we can enter current proof and current temp to recieve correct (temp adjusted) ABV would be useful in the toolbox :hand-gestures-thumbupleft:
Vatoe

equipment: Pure distilling spirit maker

Postby Classified » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Yeah perfect. I will get onto that now.

:)

Cheers
Classified

Postby Brendan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Great work Classified :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You've got everything covered by the sounds of it...if you really wanted to beef it up a bit, and this would be probably heaps more work and not necessary, just the only extra I could think of...but if you wanted to, could implement some commonly used recipes and the user could enter their wash size and the calculator scales the ingredient list...? :think:

Again, way more than anyone would be expecting, and it's available on the forum for a few basic recipes...but just an extra idea...

edit: An additional thought could be to steal/use the heat up time vs. boiler power/wash size calculators found on various sites and implement them into an app :smile:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Vatoe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:16 pm

Classified wrote:Yeah perfect. I will get onto that now.

:)

Cheers

I'm on Android 4.3. If you need any additional beta testers - let me know.
Vatoe

equipment: Pure distilling spirit maker

Postby Classified » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Brendan wrote:implement some commonly used recipes and the user could enter their wash size and the calculator scales the ingredient list...? :think:

Sorry bud... For this revision I have no time for that. However if things change I can certainly get onto it.

Brendan wrote:heat up time vs. boiler power/wash size

Yep I will get that in there also.

Right now I am trying to derive a formula for temp correction. I really do not want to use a lookup table. So it miy be slightly off. :( Unless someone has a formula for it.

Also sorry in advance. I am only targeting android version 4.0 and above. If you are running anything less than Icecream Sandwich I appologise.
Classified

Postby Classified » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Vatoe wrote:I'm on Android 4.3. If you need any additional beta testers - let me know.

I will be sure to let you know if I do. :)
Classified

Postby Hava » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:05 pm

I recon The Stig could whip up the most useful app whilst he's on holidays!

:flags-australia:
Hava

equipment: Once you've run a FSD there is no going back!!!

Postby Classified » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Hey guys,

Sorry about the delay's in getting this app ready.

I have passed the task of getting an accurate temp correction calc to an client of mine at work.

He is an computational physicist and mathematician.

What he has found so far is that every calc we can find on the net is wrong by a margin of over 10% across the temperature range. There is no accurate calc for temps over 50 deg c. The only accurate one is the http://homedistiller.org/calcs/husker_temp_convert.php which uses a lookup table from measured data.

He is trying to extrapolate a formula from the data collected to first replicate the table from a formula and then try with his knowledge of chemical compositions and the ways glass, alcohol, and water behave at various temperatures will produce a formula for the higher temp ranges.

This information kind of renders the use of parrots void as the temp is generally much higher than any valid data found on the net. :(

Every calc that we found that calcs for temps over 50deg c was out by a margin of 10-33% compared to the measured data table. Even the instructions provided from the alcometer manufactures could be out by a significant margin at differing percentages.

Anyways. Hope everyone is having a wicked long weekend.

Cheers
Classified

Postby Sam. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:58 pm

Classified wrote:Hey guys,

Sorry about the delay's in getting this app ready.

I have passed the task of getting an accurate temp correction calc to an client of mine at work.

He is an computational physicist and mathematician.

What he has found so far is that every calc we can find on the net is wrong by a margin of over 10% across the temperature range. There is no accurate calc for temps over 50 deg c. The only accurate one is the http://homedistiller.org/calcs/husker_temp_convert.php which uses a lookup table from measured data.

He is trying to extrapolate a formula from the data collected to first replicate the table from a formula and then try with his knowledge of chemical compositions and the ways glass, alcohol, and water behave at various temperatures will produce a formula for the higher temp ranges.

This information kind of renders the use of parrots void as the temp is generally much higher than any valid data found on the net. :(

Every calc that we found that calcs for temps over 50deg c was out by a margin of 10-33% compared to the measured data table. Even the instructions provided from the alcometer manufactures could be out by a significant margin at differing percentages.

Anyways. Hope everyone is having a wicked long weekend.

Cheers

Mate you are just telling us what we already know, distilling CAN NOT be done by a scientific calculation or a set temperature. 8-}

There are so many variables in making a good drop it doesn't pay to try and beat the system ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Distillers Warehouse