Docs FSD Carter Head.

High performance modular SS304 plated columns and accessories.

Re: Docs FSD Carter Head.

Postby backyard brewdog » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:43 pm

1 2many wrote:
backyard brewdog wrote:Can you explain the way a Carter head works a little please mac or has it been mentioned else where?

Cheers

Mate if you click on the firs page of this thread all will be revealed if you read the whole thread. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I saw the photo but trying to get my head around why have a oil resovoir release? Is that from the falling flux that doesn't quite make it through to the output? Is it so it doesn't drop back into the boiler and affect the boiler charge? Or is what comes out from the release also fine to be used?
backyard brewdog

Postby Frothwizard » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:56 pm

backyard brewdog wrote:
1 2many wrote:
backyard brewdog wrote:Can you explain the way a Carter head works a little please mac or has it been mentioned else where?

Cheers

Mate if you click on the firs page of this thread all will be revealed if you read the whole thread. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I saw the photo but trying to get my head around why have a oil resovoir release? Is that from the falling flux that doesn't quite make it through to the output? Is it so it doesn't drop back into the boiler and affect the boiler charge? Or is what comes out from the release also fine to be used?

The release is there for easy cleaning of the thumper section I'd assume...
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby the Doctor » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Ok I will let you in on a little secret...I have an extra section below the oil reservoir that I collect the oil from the runs which are from 45 to 60 minutes long before changing botanicals...I run a second pot still beside metuselah and then seperate each baskets oils, drawing of the flavours and light aroma of the oils by re-distillation, to back blend into the otherwise collected gin...This is a great way to control the weight of the gin. Blend none at all for a light as an anoerxic fart, Bombay style, add all for a slightly heavier London with a headier nose. There is a lot of good stuff trapped in that oil, and as it mostly is from the reflux off the beginning of the baskets run it is quite citrus and coriander heavy. The length of the run also influences the weight and amount of juniper that is forward in the mix. As different botanicals come forward at different durations during the extraction. While whiskey is is the litmus of a distillers craft...I am starting to think of gin as it's best expression of science.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:19 pm

Nice work 5 Star and Doc. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This hobby just keeps evolving, can't wait to see what's next. :clap:

Cherokee... why have you got a security camera in your kitchen...? :shifty:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby CHEROKEE » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:44 pm

Hello Urrazeb

I have 13 cameras in total (including a PTZ which has a mind of it’s own) the internal cameras cover
the four angles of the pool table. (amongst other things) To record my pissy pool nights, for posterity.
I live near a lane way but since the cameras were installed I haven't had any problems. CHEERS :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Postby MacStill » Sun May 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Here's just another reason to go modular with the FSD carter head, easily configured as a straight up pot still for distilling and infusing neutral hearts, and also be reconfigured into a 3" stripping still :dance:

DSC_0399.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 1 2many » Sun May 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Wonder what the carter head would look like on Blockhead. :think: :D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby rumsponge » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:33 am

Digging up this post as I couldnt find answers elsewhere.

Looking into vapour infusion of my neutrals and like the carter head idea, because it allows changing botanicals mid-run with out the oils contaminating the boiler charge.
What is the preferred setup for the FSD carter head ? Run it in potstill mode as shown in Mac's pictures above, or after a packed section/plates (like Doc does) ?
Would it be compatible with a 4" column (and a neutralizer blockhead) ?
Cheers, RS
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby MacStill » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:41 am

rumsponge wrote:Digging up this post as I couldnt find answers elsewhere.

Looking into vapour infusion of my neutrals and like the carter head idea, because it allows changing botanicals mid-run with out the oils contaminating the boiler charge.
What is the preferred setup for the FSD carter head ? Run it in potstill mode as shown in Mac's pictures above, or after a packed section/plates (like Doc does) ?
Would it be compatible with a 4" column (and a neutralizer blockhead) ?
Cheers, RS

I wouldn't bother trying to run the Carter head on a 4" Neutralizer as you would need to overpower the plates to get the Carter head running right, I'd be making my neutral spirit first and running the Carter head as a pot still if it were me :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers,

Mac.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby wiifm » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:20 pm

I have had some success doing stripping runs with 4 plates and a 500mm packed section, watering back down to 40% then running through the carter head over a packed section only for the gin run. All 4".

Tried the gin run over 4 plates and wasn't happy.

You need to throw a chunk of heat at a carter head for it to work well (more than most 4" plates would be happy with), getting a nice thump action from the bottom tube.
wiifm

equipment: 4 plate glasser using FSD bubble caps

Postby the Doctor » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:08 pm

I find the secret to operating a carter head directly on a plated still, is to keep a hand on the dephlegmator, opening a touch to control the flood on the top plate and those below... by balancing the plates to run quite wet with a bit more heat than you would use for a vodka run...it is a balancing act, but once mastered is easily replicated run to run.... so overdrive the elements and control flood by dephlegmator. ... I hope this is clear.

Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:19 pm

Struggling to understand how these work if you put it in full reflux to add/change botanical basket don't you end up with good alcohol down in the waste sight glass thingy? Why not have the deflag directly above the boiler to cut off/ full reflux the alcohol back into the boiler? Or is the stuff that ends up in the bottom where the sight glass is not wasted? :think: Any good threads books on running a carter head? With lots of pictures :D
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:29 pm

rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby rumsponge » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks all, :greetings-waveyellow:
bluc, the dephleg IS before the carter head. I was just wondering if I can have any plates/packed section before the RC to increase ABV. my boiler needs 15L minimum to cover the elements so at 40% low wines thats a lot of booze for a flavoured vodka (especially in the early recipe trialing phase). Was thinking of using 10-20% wash so kind a lowish output ABV in pot still mode, but maybe enough ?

cheers, rs
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby WTDist » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:35 pm

Just use the packed section. over power it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Previous

Return to 5 Star Distilling