Thumper keg problem

Pot still design and discussion

Thumper keg problem

Postby Thumpa » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Hey fellas I have got another question to throw out there for all u knowledgable blokes ^:)^ . I would really like some help with what ideas, reasons or solutions u have got For my problem. I have 50l keg boiler with a 1500watt weldless element,2" column and i run two thumpers ( the first thumper is 10l and the 2nd is 8l). The problem is my 2nd thumper keeps boiling out and my 1st thumper does drop a little in level. I charge my 1st thumper with 5l of wash and my 2nd with 4l.could any one please shed some light on this for me please? Sorry for the long winded explanation but wanted to try and make sure all info was there.thanks again in advance :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Thumpa

equipment: Have built reflux head. Finished building pot still with double thumpers

Re: Thumper keg problem

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:16 pm

Hey mate a few pics would help, especially of the vapour in/out tubes & any pics you took (if any) while building the thumpers. :think:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby kiwikeg » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:30 pm

Gday,
Are you sure the thumper is boiling dry? My guess is that it may be siphoning the liquid back into the boiler and first thumps as it cools.
Top marks for building a thumper :handgestures-thumbupleft: some pics would be great.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Thumpa » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:41 pm

The thumpers are the stainless tanks on top of keg. The one on the left is the 10l and the one on the right is the 8l. I'm sorry I don't have any pics of the full build for the thumpers :angry-banghead: but I can explain good enough hopefully. 1" line reduced down from the 2" column goes into the 1st thumper,it goes all the way to the bottom with a slight v cut at base of pipe. 1/2" line out starts level with the top of the thumper and then goes into and down to the bottom of 8l thumper.Then the 1/2" line comes out level with top of the thumper to the worm. The 2nd thumper is the same pipe setup as the 10l thumper. just can't get my head around why the second 1 boils out. :think: help is greatly appreciated. :text-thankyoublue:
Thumpa

equipment: Have built reflux head. Finished building pot still with double thumpers

Postby Thumpa » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Hopefully this helps guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Thumpa

Postby Frothwizard » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:45 pm

This is not the least bit informative but...

...That is so coooooooooool!!!!
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby Thumpa » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:58 pm

Thanks mate wondered what people might think only just finished build and hadn't got any pictures posted till now.all thanks to the info from u guys on this site :text-thankyoublue:. I got a mac whisky wash down and a 50l corn mash down to but need to get this problem soughted so I can taste the efforts :dance:
Thumpa

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:08 pm

when the second thumper boils out.. (im guessing you mean runs dry) how much is left in the primary ?
could it be that you need more than 4ltr of wash in the second thumper?
mymumsaidimcool

equipment: FSD pot still + 1 sight glass & bubble plate (more to come) 50l Keg boiler

Postby Thumpa » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Yeah mate runs dry.yeah I'm not sure? I could try that. I was just hoping maybe some1 might have experienced this or even no the reason why it's happening.cheers for quick response mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Thumpa

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:17 pm

cause the way im thinking about it now is..

the first thumper gets say 50% alc. 50% wash. the first thumper is then left with 50% of all vapour entering the thumper therefore what's taken out is almost completely replaced.

when the second thumper is then at temp, the alcohol coming through is much higher, maybe 80%... due to the second fermentation in the first thumper.
so what goes in is 80% and then what comes out is 90 % (just using figures for argument sake theyre most likley wrong) however, in the second thumper what you're getting is vapour coming in, but more than what's coming in going out. hence the boiling out.

my guess is also that some vapour in the second thumper is wash making up that last few percent... therefore running dry.

have you tried to use more in the second thumper? maybe switch the two around, using the 8L first and then the 10L second, allowing for more wash to be used in the second thumper..

could be totally wrong here but that's how im thinking about it at the moment...correct me if im wrong.
mymumsaidimcool

equipment: FSD pot still + 1 sight glass & bubble plate (more to come) 50l Keg boiler

Postby mymumsaidimcool » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:18 pm

Thumpa wrote:Yeah mate runs dry.yeah I'm not sure? I could try that. I was just hoping maybe some1 might have experienced this or even no the reason why it's happening.cheers for quick response mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

yeah i have not experienced this so take caution .. however that's how my head is thinking it through at the moment...
mymumsaidimcool

Postby zombie » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:03 am

Not to appear a a complete d-ick but... are you SURE you haven't reversed the in/out on the second thumper?
It is almost impossible to boil out lessor ABV wash with higher ABV vapor. It can't happen unless you are running soooo hot you are super heating your boiler. Doubt that. The spent wash would Have to remain.
zombie

Postby Thumpa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:11 pm

Hey guys thanks for all the responses will just try more wash let use no how I go thanks again fellas
Thumpa

Postby Thumpa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:17 pm

Oh and sorry zombie yeah I haven't mixed up intake and outlet pipes, wish I had that would be easy fix :laughing-rolling: but thanks for suggestion. You can see why I'm asking the question because that's the way I think about it to, hence the reason I can't get me head round it.
Thumpa

Postby Thumpa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Sorry guys had to remove pics just realized some numbers in the background that shouldn't be there incase they are watching :law-policered: . But here's another pic if thumpers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thumpa

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:40 pm

Thumpa ...know sweet f all about thumpers but I'm pretty sure most guys that use them would have the first thumper about 1/3 the volume of tje boiler ....not sure how this relates but what you have is only a fifth...had too much heads infussed Rum to think it through :laughing-rolling:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:47 pm

How far off the bottom of the box is you vapour in tube ? :think:

Wish I could see inside it :cry:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Thumpa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:58 pm

Sits on the bottom mac still with slight v cut at base of pipe and then the outlet clamp is flush with top mate.
Thumpa

Postby Thumpa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:04 pm

Thanks yummy rum and u are right I think my 1st one is about 13l anyway but u are most certainly right about size being 1/3 thanks mate
Thumpa

Postby Andy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:12 pm

have you figured this one out yet? it was doing my head in
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Next

Return to Pot Stills