Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Recipe Discussion

Postby bluc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:49 pm

I just tasted my first batch rum with the edv493 yeast. It has crazy amount of honey ester in it not sure what that's about :think: Not sure if good or bad yet..
bluc

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby effque » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:19 pm

Hey i have got 60L of gen 2 and 80L of gen 3 to strip its taken me until now to notice that i need to use raw sugar in the recipe instead of white how does using white affect the wash as opposed to raw some one told me raw adds a sweeter flavour is this the only thing different

I just bought a freshly made 25L french oak barrel made out of ex muscat barrel for my rums
would you guys wait for some further gens to start filling it up or just start working my way up from where im at

after gen 3 i will be continuing the gens with raw sugar

i plan on leaving the barrel for a year

also just read the whole thread as usual with most threads on this site great info

Cheers
effque

equipment: 50L keg boiler 4" sight glass 2" copper modular reflux/pot 2x2200W elements 2" shotty
2 beer kegs for storage or low wine collection
35L of 5L glass jars
25L french oak barrel made from an ex muscat barrel

Postby coffe addict » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:50 am

Why ec1118?
2x7gm packet's should do it. Rehydrate and pitch.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Previous

Return to Recipe Development