Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby dom187 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:46 am

bluc wrote:For a sugarhead yes but for all grain it still needs to be gelatanized before being mashed :handgestures-thumbupleft:


Ok Bluc, so the micronized maize and micronized barley will be fine for a UJSSM or this BWKO reciepe, thanks for the response mate.

Regards Dom
dom187
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:18 pm
Location: WA
equipment: S/S T500
FSD 50L milk can and FSD 4" modular pot

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby tipsy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:16 pm

bluc wrote:For a sugarhead yes but for all grain it still needs to be gelatanized before being mashed :handgestures-thumbupleft:


I think micronised is pregelatinized, so ould be perfect for mashing.....I use https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/produc ... ze-per-kg- with good results but it is expensive.
tipsy
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: South Gippsland, VIC.
equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby dom187 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:15 pm

tipsy wrote:
bluc wrote:For a sugarhead yes but for all grain it still needs to be gelatanized before being mashed :handgestures-thumbupleft:


I think micronised is pregelatinized, so ould be perfect for mashing.....I use https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/produc ... ze-per-kg- with good results but it is expensive.


This is the website quote..
"Micronizing is a "Short Time, High Temperature" patented process using the grains moisture and infrared heat to achieve conditions essential for the optimal cooking of starch and starch gelatinisation. During processing the grain becomes soft and pliable, causing the reconfiguration of the starch structure (gelatinisation). Immediate flaking further gelatinises the starch so as to significantly enhance the digestibility and nutritional value of the fee"

so it sounds like it is gelatinised.??

Dom
dom187
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:18 pm
Location: WA
equipment: S/S T500
FSD 50L milk can and FSD 4" modular pot

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 pm

You can grow corn needs warm weather so now is not a good time to plant unless in tropical area.If you plant a modern variety going to get a couple of kilo from each plant but it seems that the older varieties have more flavor corn is very cheap if can get off a farm corn needs water if grow and have to use town water is going to get expensive if there is no rain.Have grown sweet corn if this is left to mature does dry out could possibly use mature sweet corn takes less time to grow.
wynnum1
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby bluc » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:26 pm

dom187 wrote:
tipsy wrote:
bluc wrote:For a sugarhead yes but for all grain it still needs to be gelatanized before being mashed :handgestures-thumbupleft:


I think micronised is pregelatinized, so ould be perfect for mashing.....I use https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/produc ... ze-per-kg- with good results but it is expensive.


This is the website quote..
"Micronizing is a "Short Time, High Temperature" patented process using the grains moisture and infrared heat to achieve conditions essential for the optimal cooking of starch and starch gelatinisation. During processing the grain becomes soft and pliable, causing the reconfiguration of the starch structure (gelatinisation). Immediate flaking further gelatinises the starch so as to significantly enhance the digestibility and nutritional value of the fee"

so it sounds like it is gelatinised.??

Dom

Think it was taspirit grabbed some micronised and no is not pre gelatinized.. :handgestures-thumbdown:
bluc
 
Posts: 6264
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby dom187 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:35 pm

bluc wrote:
dom187 wrote:
tipsy wrote:
bluc wrote:For a sugarhead yes but for all grain it still needs to be gelatanized before being mashed :handgestures-thumbupleft:


I think micronised is pregelatinized, so ould be perfect for mashing.....I use https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/produc ... ze-per-kg- with good results but it is expensive.


This is the website quote..
"Micronizing is a "Short Time, High Temperature" patented process using the grains moisture and infrared heat to achieve conditions essential for the optimal cooking of starch and starch gelatinisation. During processing the grain becomes soft and pliable, causing the reconfiguration of the starch structure (gelatinisation). Immediate flaking further gelatinises the starch so as to significantly enhance the digestibility and nutritional value of the fee"

so it sounds like it is gelatinised.??

Dom

Think it was taspirit grabbed some micronised and no is not pre gelatinized.. :handgestures-thumbdown:


No worries. ill give it a go for some BWKO and see how I go, thanks for the response Bluc
dom187
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:18 pm
Location: WA
equipment: S/S T500
FSD 50L milk can and FSD 4" modular pot

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby Lowie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Ran a side by side experiment this past weekend using USW-6 yeast. 1 tin of Coopers Amber Ale LMDE and 1 kilo of crushed grain + sugar. FV 1 had the tin and grain at 20c. OG 1070. FV 2 tried to get the FV up to 63c, but only managed 58c. (no temp control just pouring boiled water from the kettle in) OG 1080. Interestingly, when I pitched the yeast next day, FV2 had a bit of 'goop' on the top, but mixed in when I aerated the wort. Both are now bubbling away happily at 25c. I expect a better conversion if I can get it up to 63-63.5c. next time.
Lowie
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 1:32 pm
Location: Crow eater
equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby RC Al » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:49 pm

Had a look into doing this for corn, the malt extract tins & powder have no diastic power, the enzymes get destroyed in production, they are for flavor only :crying-blue:

Did you adjust for temperature with the sg readings?
RC Al
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:58 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast Area
equipment: Old SS Reflux
2" Potty on 50l keg
Epic gas burner

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby Lowie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:49 pm

RC Al wrote:Had a look into doing this for corn, the malt extract tins & powder have no diastic power, the enzymes get destroyed in production, they are for flavor only :crying-blue:

Did you adjust for temperature with the sg readings?


Yes, measured the OG next day. Mashed corn is a pita...
Lowie
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 1:32 pm
Location: Crow eater
equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 pm

Mix some cornflour with water you will pretty much get the gist of what's in bottom of fermenter :twisted:
bluc
 
Posts: 6264
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Previous

Return to Recipe Development



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

x