Filtering wash?

Sugar wash info and questions

Filtering wash?

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:59 pm

:? Just wondering if it would be better to filter a wash before running it? Not through carbon but a sock or coffee filter :?
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Re: Filtering wash?

Postby Fatguts » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 am

If its only a sugar wash, I dont think there would be any need to filter it. Once its finished fermenting it will clear out by itself and you can siphon/drain off from the fermenter and leave all the sludge in the bottom. Ive found its no problem if the wash is slightly cloudy, it will come out clear after distilling. Im no expert but it works for me using the T500.
Fatguts

equipment: 4", 4 plate glasser and a 2" all copper reflux still with a 2 meter packed column, 500 mm shotgun condenser and homemade parrot, all sitting on a 50 litre upside down beer keg boiler with 2 X 2400W elements.

Postby Plumby » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:40 am

No point filtering before distillation, has no added benefit to finished product.
If its a cereal wash like crw or nutrigrain whiskey just try to minimise the amount of cereal that gets into the boiler.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:02 am

Yeah just doing some tpw’s and Have a few floaties.... less work if no filtering but I don’t mind if it makes it better. Just thought the less yeast and tomato paste in the wash the better so it doesn’t cook up and flavour the alcohol. Cheers for the info :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Postby Professor Green » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:06 pm

My grandfather used to siphon his beer through old pantyhose to remove the floaties. I have my tap suitably high enough on my fermenter to avoid the trub. That being said, one or two floaties in your boiler is probably not going to cause you any grief.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Arismac » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Professor Green wrote: That being said, one or two floaties in your boiler is probably not going to cause you any grief.

Spot on Prof, the "floaties" are almost certainly not ethanol and are most unlikely to vapourise so they will still be lying around in the boiler when cleaning time comes around.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Postby SURFFOILS » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:54 pm

Ive read that filtering wash with carbon helps to remove compounds and the taste improves.
Could just be advertising by the carbon cartel. :D
SURFFOILS

equipment: Just sugar washes

Postby bluc » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:01 pm

Wondering about filtering all grain wash. Angel yeast works great but filtering out the sediment is proving dificult. I squeezed grain let it settle pour through cheese cloth it still scorched.
Unless I run reall gentle like 1600w on a 4" bubbler.
So has anyone tried the super fine 1micron pressure filters for beer?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to Sugar wash's