reusing Distilimax rm for rum

Sugar wash info and questions

reusing Distilimax rm for rum

Postby Dave017 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi all, has anyone had any difficulty doing multiple gens with Distilimax rm. My first batch ( using Mac rum recipe) worked like a treat gone onto a second generation using the dunder as per recipe and things progressed ok or so I thought. Fermentation had stopped so I did a strip run only to produce approx 3 litres of alcohol from a 45 litre wash. Needless to say this has left me scratching my head. Have I misses something or should I have added some nutrients. I didn't use a hydrometer to take readings ( mainly because some reading says its hard to do on a rum wash) any ideas would be much appreciated
Dave017

equipment: Nil yet

Re: reusing Distilimax rm for rum

Postby Maxxx » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:29 pm

Hi Dave
Are you sure the wash was finished.
Did you test ph, subsequent generations can Ph crash and stall.
Fix = Shell grit in a stocking suspended in the wash (10 generations no ph problems)
Optimum ph for yeast to produce alcohol is about 5.2
You can either adjust at the start or wait for the wash Ph to drop after a couple of days and then add the shell grit (calcium carbonate - oyster shell etc) as a buffer
Cheers
Maxxx
Maxxx

equipment: 100 litre stripper
Double retort Caribbean rum still under construction.

Postby Dave017 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:04 pm

thanks max I was pretty sure it had finished fermenting airlock had stopped bubbling and when I removed the lid from the fermenter there was no activity at all. I don't have a ph kit but obviously will be getting one now. I have a second fermenter with the same generation and recipe going at the same time and I am trying to save that one haha so I will get a ph kit and see what's happening
Dave017

equipment: Nil yet

Postby dans.brew » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:55 pm

A ph meter is a pretty handy tool when using dunder... ive had a few washes stall over the years mainly because i was flying blind.
At least you would be able to rule out the ph as the cause of your stall.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Return to Sugar wash's