Wash size

Sugar wash info and questions

Wash size

Postby matman699 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:29 pm

I am just about to finish my 50 lt keg boiler ccvm still.

Would there be a minimum that i would want to be fermenting to do my stripping and spirit runs.
matman699

equipment: Ccvm with shotgun

Re: Wash size

Postby RC Al » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:29 am

The minimum boiler charge is enough to leave your element covered when you finish, use the distillate to water calc (calculator in the newbie section) to work that out. If your on gas, as little as you want http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/xcalcs.html

Otherwise 20% head room is considered a good safe level, I personally run up to 45L when stripping, puke prone washes (eg rum) are better off at the lower level

You need to do enough strips to get enough low wines to do a reasonable sized spirit run, however, the more you have, the longer it takes to run, if you have a still that produces at 2L/h, 20L of 40% will take 4 hours plus boil up time (assuming 95% output from the ccvm), you would need to strip 90-100l of wash to get that 20l of 40%

The larger the boiler charge, the better the cuts though, all the different components are more likely to congregate with themselves in the column giving you better separation in your cut jars

Subsequently, many end up with 200l fermenters as this will net you enough to do a 40l charge of low wines - give or take. If your in vic/sa/nsw, olive drums are readily available, have a good sized opening and are pretty cheap (15-20 in vic) I have managed to get them for 45 up here in QLD, but can't locally atm
Last edited by RC Al on Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby matman699 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:06 am

Thank you RC al for the very informativr reply. I will have a look at the calculator. I have been looking at the olive barrels so will get some once we can drive far enough to get them.
matman699

equipment: Ccvm with shotgun

Postby Amberale » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:24 pm

I have some 60 litre drums and have upped the FFV to make 50 litres.
That gives me 45 litresish of wash after Ive drained/strained the muck.
This works well in my 50 litre milk can boiler.
I have four so if I can be stuffed I can strip 4 and do a big run.
Not really necessary with the Neutraliser.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Return to Sugar wash's