TPW not getting to 995 FG

Sugar wash info and questions

Postby SCBandit » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi,

I have now put down 2 batches of TPW while I am happy with the end product I am concerned my washes finish with FG 1010. I have followed the recipe very carefully both times. The second batch I started with only 4kg sugar adding the other 2kg 24 hours later . This gave me a starting SG 1060 . I am using a fish tank heater to maintain 35degrees C . Wash is gently stirred daily. Could you please provide assistance as to how I can achieve Fg 995-990. :?:
SCBandit

equipment: Air still, reflux Still

Re: TPW not getting to 995 FG

Postby SBB » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Ive had way to many rums to be trying to answer questions......but looking at the figures im thinking ya hydrometer might be reading a bit high.
Does it still read 1.00 if you dump it in some water. BTW there is no need to stir a TPW.
Last edited by SBB on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:29 pm

SBB wrote:Ive had way to many rums to be trying to answer questions....

It's not the rums effecting my ability, it's all the beers I had before them :laughing-rolling: 8-} :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby maheel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:32 pm

i would not / don't bother stirring

how long did you give them to finish ?

also i reckon drop it back to 30 if you can
maheel

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Man as someone who started as a home brewer I cringe at the idea of regularly opening my fermenters!
:-)

Distilling is more forgiving of contamination but I'd give the fermenter a vigorous rock & shake instead of opening.

Also I found that the tomato paste works better with a really decent pinch of Epsom Salt and don't skimp on the citric acid.

Sounds like a tiny addition but those two make a few point difference at the end of the ferment.

So:
1: Additions to wash
2: Agitate fermenter
3: Apply heat for the last couple of days
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby audistiller » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:58 am

Does the TPW allow or prefer temperatures above 30 degrees does it, I wouldn't have thought temperatures that high (35 degrees) to be any good.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby R-sole » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:06 am

Depends on your yeast ;-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:45 am

mine seem to taste a lot fruitier above 30, that's if i taste them before distilling

below 30 ferments seem to just taste less fruity and "drier"

but it not a very scientific method... :teasing-tease:
maheel

Postby SCBandit » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks for the idea's.

Currently using 1 teaspoon of Epson Salts & 1/4 teaspoon of Citric Acid. In response to yeast at temperatures of 35degrees I am using Lowan's bakers yeast and had read on US forums a dude calling himself Birdwather Re his posting: "" Temperature range 30-35C. This is simply the range recommended in Jone Stone's book. http://www.gin-vodka.com/making-gin.html .He was a Phd. chemistry. Spent his career with the National Research Council in Ottawa, specializing in distillation. ""

I have just read on a cooking forum 1 teaspoon of citric acid is equal to 1 lemon so I will up the citric acid in the next batch.

I will also drop the temperature down to 30 degrees and see what happens

Cheers,

Bandit :idea: :think:
SCBandit

Postby grumpthehermit » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:13 am

How much yeast are you putting in ?

:)

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby SCBandit » Wed May 02, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi grumpthehermit,

Putting in 80 grams of Lowan's Bakers Yeast
SCBandit

Postby grumpthehermit » Thu May 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Yep,

That should be enough, I was wondering if you were only using a small amount. I also try to make sure the water is exposed to as much air as possible when filling my fermenter by blasting the water into it by creating a pressurized jet of water with my thumb over the end of a dishwasher inlet hose I have plumbed up to my laundry tub spout.

I use 90grams ( 1/3 of the container ) each time, and I keep the temp around 28 degrees.

It seems to make enough of it's own heat for the first 3 days, then I regulate it with a heat belt for 4-5 days. By then it's done and I let the temp drop, re-fill the airlock and just let it sit to clear for at least another week.

:-D

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby SCBandit » Thu May 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi grumpthehermit ,

Thank you for your suggestions I will try to agitate the water when filling the tank . I have another batch down now, the difference is I put 1 teaspoon of Citric Acid ( water here is very alkaline) plus not pushing the temperature much with the thermostat set to the same as you approx 28 degrees. Check it tonight still bubbling nicely ( will leave it alone for a couple of days till the activity slows down.

Thanking you

Bandit
SCBandit

Postby wynnum1 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:02 am

If water is very alkaline it may need more acid.
wynnum1

Postby petes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:04 pm

I notice you added sugar in two stages.
Each stage should be treated as a new ferment, that is first sugar OG and FG; second sugar new OG and then FG.
Combine the two and you have true result.
You may have done that - not clear from reading, sorry if I missed it. :!:
petes

equipment: Amphora PDA 1

Postby crozdog » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:56 pm

what temp are you measuring your gravities at?? most hydrometers are calibrated at 20*C. measurements at other temps will give you incorrect readings...
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Return to Sugar wash's